Alternatives for Squadron Green Stuff filler?

klubman01

Not sure if this is in the right place. 

With Squadron Green Stuff filler no longer available, what do people use as an equivalent replacement, and where do they buy it?

Trevor

I've used this when I've been stuck: https://www.halfords.com/motoring/paints-and-body-repair/fillers-and-preparation/holts-cataloy-knifing-putty-100g-154211.html

I don't generally use one-part fillers due to shrinkage, but if it's just a light skim, that works much the same as green stuff (though less gritty) and can be thinned with solvent.

2 minutes ago, Six97s said:

I've used this when I've been stuck: https://www.halfords.com/motoring/paints-and-body-repair/fillers-and-preparation/holts-cataloy-knifing-putty-100g-154211.html

I don't generally use one-part fillers due to shrinkage, but if it's just a light skim, that works much the same as green stuff (though less gritty) and can be thinned with solvent.

I agree . I've used it too and found it pretty good . In fact , I think it shrinks less than the Squadron putties . 

Tamiya Putty (White) is good. Thins with Tamiya Lacquer Thinner or Mr Thinner; I use the latter. A cotton bud dipped in Mr Thinner does a great job of shaping the putty once it's cured. I usually reserve filing (not sanding) for final shaping on flat or convex surfaces.

I have switched from Squadron Green Stuff to Tamiya (grey) Putty several decades ago. It dries quickly and sands easily. But it does sink a bit if used in thick layers. Thus, if volume is required, I stick to Milliput two component putty.