Pistol Shots Ring Out In A Bar Room Night - Arma Hobby Hurricane Mk.IIb.

2 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

Looking great, Alistair! I'm liking the mottle technique.

Hope the safety brief and rules exam went well!

Cheers,

Mark

Thanks Mark,

The brief was fairly standard but the Rules Exam was going through Protection of Staff on the Line. 
Possessions, Line Blockages etc. Stuff we do every day so it wasn't too taxing or tricky.

I'm back on shift tomorrow so I must have been OK. :innocent:

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 3

Masking applied.

IcqmjKc.jpg

JkhbnaF.jpg

Then some light Buff mottling over the Dark Earth.

x6OrhJs.jpg

gAgXTE8.jpg

Finally, especially for Chris @bigbadbadge the ColourCoats Middle Stone.

XQBbNbe.jpg

4NwWaGO.jpg

gdLgg0n.jpg

And then the unveiling.

FbZH0NI.jpg

E5CUXGW.jpg

8Wboz5z.jpg

RdvXDYp.jpg

3IxFzS7.jpg

geUF4xY.jpg

A couple of minor touch ups needed but I'm fairly happy with the results.

Thanks for looking

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

Good gosh! At first look, I thought perhaps the cat ralphed up all over your Hurc. I now see that it's just masking material.

Chris

It's AK masking putty. Works very well but you have to be quick as it spreads and droops pretty fast.

It does look like it wouldn't be out of place in a Cronenberg movie though.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

Only one of a host of alternate words for that particular action.

Chris

In my younger days I may have on occasion imbibed an excess of alcohol the consequence of which might have been a visit from "Hughie and Ralph".

There are no photos so therefore no proof and this may be purely hypothetical. :innocent::whistle:

Cheers,

Alistair 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, dogsbody said:

Only one of a host of alternate words for that particular action.

Chris

.....one that's now entered the Victor Towers Dictionary of Feline Behaviour :) Arthur in particular is prone to ralphing :)

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

That Ralph masking is quite scary  looking stuff.

Thanks Chris,

That name is going to stick isn't it.

I certainly won't be able to think of it any other way now.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

Meant to say, Alistair, the camo looks splendid! Apologies for having been sidetracked :)

Cheers,

Mark

Thanks Mark,

No need for apologies it was a good sidetrack to go down.

9 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

*thinks* I need to get some AK Ralph Masking.....

It's great stuff but and there is always a but I've recently found that some of AK's own paint doesn't like it at all and almost separates when it touches it.

It's great with Vallejo, ColourCoats, Tamiya, MRP though.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

Thanks, Alistair :) I'm guessing it's reusable? A bit like blue tack but looking a little less salubrious :) ?

Cheers,

Mark

I’ll chime in here as well since I’ve also used the AK camouflage putty. As Alistair says it needs to be done in one go. The putty will slowly reform itself into a blob, loosing the shape you give it during application. It isn’t a rapid process, but it starts as soon as it is applied so you need to be prepared to immediately paint after masking. Overspray is absorbed(?) into the putty and it returns to its original black color after you remove the putty from the model and glob it all back together ready for its next use

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, AliGauld said:

Thanks Mark,

No need for apologies it was a good sidetrack to go down.

Shouldn't that be " come up "? As in ralph up?

Okay, I'm done with that now.

Chris

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

Thanks, Alistair :) I'm guessing it's reusable? A bit like blue tack but looking a little less salubrious :) ?

Cheers,

Mark

6 hours ago, Chuck1945 said:

I’ll chime in here as well since I’ve also used the AK camouflage putty. As Alistair says it needs to be done in one go. The putty will slowly reform itself into a blob, loosing the shape you give it during application. It isn’t a rapid process, but it starts as soon as it is applied so you need to be prepared to immediately paint after masking. Overspray is absorbed(?) into the putty and it returns to its original black color after you remove the putty from the model and glob it all back together ready for its next use

It is reusable and it is quite lovely to open the tin and see a completely level glossy surface but never repeat never have the tin stored upside down as you'll never get it open until you right the tin and wait until it flows away from the lid.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Chuck1945 said:

Thanks for the extra info, Chuck, that's brilliant! It sounds really useful, so I'll definitely give it a go!

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AliGauld said:

but never repeat never have the tin stored upside down as you'll never get it open until you right the tin and wait until it flows away from the lid.

Does that sound like the voice of experience, I wonder.....? 

But it sounds like clever stuff, and good for RAF camouflage schemes with wavy edges.

Something else to add to the shopping list :)

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2996 Victor said:

Does that sound like the voice of experience, I wonder.....? 

But it sounds like clever stuff, and good for RAF camouflage schemes with wavy edges.

Something else to add to the shopping list :)

Cheers,

Mark

Absolutely and from what I'm told I was lucky to be able to get it open again. :doh:

Cheers,

Alistair

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, AliGauld said:

a visit from "Hughie and Ralph".

I fear you have missed out the third member of that onomatopoeic trio “Bill” and he may take his revenge next time you have a dodgy pint (usually about the 10th in my experience). 

18 hours ago, dogsbody said:

Good gosh! At first look, I thought perhaps the cat ralphed up all over your Hurc. I now see that it's just masking material.

Actually “Hurc” is quite descriptive as well. 

That Ralph camouflage masking gloop (tm) is awful looking stuff but you’ve managed to produce a really nice finished effect with it Alistair. Normally, I am a complete sucker for any new modelling material but I have just had a vivid image of a cat curiously shoving its paw into a tin of the stuff, and the chaos that would ensue, so I think I’ll maybe stick to blu-tac. 

looking forward to seeing what comes next. 

Craig. 

• Haha 2