Pistol Shots Ring Out In A Bar Room Night - Arma Hobby Hurricane Mk.IIb.

5 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

Only joking, mate :D

It's always good to know what materials give good results! I've been using Vallejo acrylics, which seem to work quite well for me, but look more like aluminium paint/dope. I've heard good things of AK's metallics and I've got some NMF schemes on the horizon.....

Cheers,

Mark

No worries,

If you do get some for use they like what for me is a high pressure about 20 PSI and don't linger keep it moving.

I hear good thing about Vallejo Metallics as well.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Thanks 1

I appreciate you choosing this subject Alistair. Normally your builds make me want to rush off and buy the same kit but I already own an Arma Hurricane II so my wallet is safe! Great start, looking forward to seeing how the rest of it turns out. 

Craig. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Dandie Dinmont said:

I appreciate you choosing this subject Alistair. Normally your builds make me want to rush off and buy the same kit but I already own an Arma Hurricane II so my wallet is safe! Great start, looking forward to seeing how the rest of it turns out. 

Craig. 

Must be doing something wrong if I'm not encouraging wild and wayward spending.

Must try harder.

Glad to have you on board.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

Aha! A Hurricane build to entertain me. I do like the old bird; in my mind ... "the fighter still remains".

I do hope I can manage to entertain you.

From a Dylan lyric to a song about him. I can appreciate that.

Cheers,

Alistair

1 hour ago, AliGauld said:

From a Dylan lyric to a song about him. I can appreciate that.

So you quote a line from a Dylan song Called Hurricane and recognise it and respond with a Simon and Garfunkel song which mentions a 'fighter still remains', which I apply to your model, AND which is supposedly about the man who wrote the song you referenced, which is also about a boxer. I should just leave it at that but honesty forbids.

My goodness, I wish I was that clever. I would be writing crosswords for the Times or working at GCHQ.

In fact I looked up your quote because I didn't understand it at all, despite having the song in my collection. Then I thought I'd try to appear as clever as you and looked up 'lyrics + Hurricane' on Google, no joy. So I tried 'lyrics + fighter' and found The Boxer (also in my collection). I didn't know about the apparently mythical link between the Boxer and Dylan until I read your response, was mystified again, and headed back down the rabbit hole to find that Paul Simon says it was autobiographical, nothing to do with attacking Dylan, and that Dylan covered it on one of his albums so clearly wasn't offended by the song. 

For a fuller explanation see:    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Boxer

I like BM for the way it leads me into strange and wonderful journeys like this, even if it does mean admitting that I ain't as clever as yew fort, mate.

Edited by Bertie Psmith
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Bertie Psmith said:

So you quote a line from a Dylan song Called Hurricane and recognise it and respond with a Simon and Garfunkel song which mentions a 'fighter still remains', which I apply to your model, AND which is supposedly about the man who wrote the song you referenced. I could just leave it at that but honesty forbids.

My goodness, I wish I was that clever. I would be writing crosswords for the Times or working at GCHQ.

In fact I looked up your quote because I didn't understand it at all, despite having the song in my collection. Then I thought I'd try to appear as clever as you and looked up 'lyrics + Hurricane' on Google, no joy. So I tried 'lyrics + fighter' and found The Boxer (also in my collection). I didn't know about the apparently mythical link between the Boxer and Dylan until I read your response, was mystified again, and headed back down the rabbit hole to find that Paul Simon says it was autobiographical, nothing to do with attacking Dylan, and that Dylan covered it on one of his albums so clearly wasn't offended by the song. 

For a fuller explanation see:    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Boxer

I like BM for the way it leads me into strange and wonderful journeys like this, even if it does mean admitting that I ain't as clever as yew fort, mate.

To be fair I have never thought the song was attacking Dylan but referenced him in attacking the Music Publishers and Recording Companies.

The so-called "Whores on Seventh Avenue", but if Paul Simon says it's autobiographical then I'll fully admit I'm wrong. 😀:wicked:.

Cheers,

Alistair

10 minutes ago, AliGauld said:

To be fair I have never thought the song was attacking Dylan but referenced him in attacking the Music Publishers and Recording Companies.

The so-called "Whores on Seventh Avenue", but if Paul Simon says it's autobiographical then I'll fully admit I'm wrong. 😀:wicked:.

Cheers,

Alistair

Apparently the creators of the urban legend said that the chorus "Lie Lie n Lie Lie" bit implied that Dylan was a liar, which is kinda weird considering he told so many inconvenient truths. Maybe the rumour was started by Nixon. lol!

• Haha 2

I've just read the Wikipedia entries about both songs. The Boxer was first released in 1969 and Hurricane was released in '76. 

From what I read, The Boxer had nothing to do with Reuben Carter at all. 

Chris

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dogsbody said:

I've just read the Wikipedia entries about both songs. The Boxer was first released in 1969 and Hurricane was released in '76. 

From what I read, The Boxer had nothing to do with Reuben Carter at all. 

Chris

Hi Chris,

You are absolutely right. I was alluding to the myth that the song "The Boxer" was about Dylan.

Hope that clarifies things.

Cheers,

Alistair

16 hours ago, AliGauld said:

No worries,

If you do get some for use they like what for me is a high pressure about 20 PSI and don't linger keep it moving.

I hear good thing about Vallejo Metallics as well.

Cheers,

Alistair

There's two kinds of Vallejo metalics.

1. The 'Metal Color' airbrush range which can also be brushed is superb but pricey. This range is thin and alcohol based.

2. The dropper bottles are cheaper but I can't get them to spray well and while they brush on fine they do look a bit like a silver (or whatever) dope. Water based.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, AliGauld said:

Hi Chris,

You are absolutely right. I was alluding to the myth that the song "The Boxer" was about Dylan.

Hope that clarifies things.

Cheers,

Alistair

Yeah. It didn't have anything to do with Dylan at all. People get some weird crap rolling around in their minds sometimes!

Chris

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

Yeah. It didn't have anything to do with Dylan at all. People get some weird crap rolling around in their minds sometimes!

Chris

Now that's so true.

Cheers,

Alistair

10 minutes ago, Bertie Psmith said:

1. The 'Metal Color' airbrush range which can also be brushed is superb but pricey. This range is thin and alcohol based.

2. The dropper bottles are cheaper but I can't get them to spray well and while they brush on fine they do look a bit like a silver (or whatever) dope. Water based.

Yes the Metal Color are the ones I've heard good things about.

I have some of the dropper bottles but only use then for detail stuff and dry brushing.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

Absolutely agree! The Metal Color range are more effective, the "ordinary" dropper bottle is definitely more like "silver paint". It has its uses, though.....

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

As it was a quiet day at work today I took the opportunity to get some small stuff done.

q5dB6Vw.jpg

Of course I forgot decal solution so this has just been hit with some softener.

OJiDhf1.jpg

jU2oDJO.jpg

AEIKMw9.jpg

tz7gygn.jpg

bidyW65.jpg

7b0tFVF.jpg

The fuselage closes up completely on a dry fit.

Thanks for looking,

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 9

11 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Nice cockpit work Alistair,  glad that the fuselage closes okay  I had to chop little bits from my interior,  I presume builder error not model!!!

Chris

Thanks Chris,

The previous Arma hurricane I built was tricky to get closed so I took extra special care with this one even though the internals are much simpler.

Still had to get the positioning just so though. You can't see much in there anyway if it goes wrong.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 2996 Victor said:

That's looking splendid, Alistair, absolutely spot-on! You'll have this one finshed in no time!

Cheers,

Mark

Thanks Mark,

Not sure about finishing quickly though.

Guess which resident incompetent closed up the fuselage and had not put the IP in.  :rant:

Sometimes I think I do things subconsciously to make my own existence more difficult but I realise that it's more likely that I'm just an idiot.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Sad 2

6 minutes ago, AliGauld said:

closed up the fuselage and had not put the IP in

Sounds like my sort of trick.....can it be inserted from below before the wings go on? I can't picture how much room for manoeuvre there is, I'm afraid.

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

As mentioned above I managed to close the fuselage up without the IP in position.

The join was still pretty fresh so I hit it with some TET and cracked the seam open.

The IP was fitted into it's position and then more TET to re-join the seam and then clamped to make sure I got a good join.

All this was made more difficult as I'd glued the wings on as well.

The glue has caused a wee molten ridge above the join which is going to make it easier to clean up.

Some intakey bits fitted underneath and the canopy was masked.

AyboF8F.jpg

XPNObLE.jpg

nVi8xpl.jpg

PwlISEI.jpg

Still to de done.

Pick out the belt buckles in a metal colour and fix the red overpaint on the control column.

Thanks for looking

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 8

9 minutes ago, AliGauld said:

Thanks Mark,

Not sure about finishing quickly though.

Guess which resident incompetent closed up the fuselage and had not put the IP in.  :rant:

Sometimes I think I do things subconsciously to make my own existence more difficult but I realise that it's more likely that I'm just an idiot.

Cheers,

Alistair

That sounds like a definite " Oh :poop: ! " moment.

Chris

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

Sounds like my sort of trick.....can it be inserted from below before the wings go on? I can't picture how much room for manoeuvre there is, I'm afraid.

Cheers,

Mark

Nope wings had already been glued on but I got it in there without too much aggro and there will be minimal clean up based on what I can see.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Sad 1