Dora Wings 1/72 Westland Lysander Mk III (SD)

Hi there,

This one was sitting in the stash for quite some time and I decided to go for it despite it probably being a bit more than my skill level could cope with.

A challenging kit that repays careful preparation and patience along with sanding and reshaping various parts.

It's been a really enjoyable build.

WIP Here

Primed with Tamiya Neutral Grey

Painted with Colourcoats Night Bomber Black, Medium Sea Grey, Dark Green, Interior Grey Green, Tamiya Flat Aluminium and Rubber Black.

Finished with Windsor & Newton Matt and Satin Varnish.

Transfers from the Kit and DK Decals No.161 (SD) Sqn.

t6BHmnV.jpg

iRMEpZK.jpg

RKWr0Qn.jpg

HiGDRPW.jpg

k2NZWSf.jpg

fZXjexE.jpg

GpUVl5q.jpg

ZZHUCog.jpg

q0XXzhj.jpg

NRV5seo.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, BillF67 said:

All it needs is a person with a suitcase!

Yes, that would have been nice.

I seem to recall the old Airfix kit I built of this more years ago than I care to remember had one.

Cheers,

Alistair

15 minutes ago, BillF67 said:

All it needs is a person with a suitcase!

I was just about to say that - a dodgy looking character in a raincoat, desperately evading the Gestapo, running for the rear cockpit and his ticket to Blighty.

Excellent build, Alistair, the SD scheme really suits the Lizzie and you've done it full justice if I may say so!

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

I was just about to say that - a dodgy looking character in a raincoat, desperately evading the Gestapo, running for the rear cockpit and his ticket to Blighty.

Excellent build, Alistair, the SD scheme really suits the Lizzie and you've done it full justice if I may say so!

Cheers,

Mark

Thanks so much Mark.

Very kind of you.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1

That looks wonderful Alistair,..... pity you don`t have the man from the Airfix kit who was depicted walking up the ladder,.... complete with spy had and mac on!  Well done indeed,... hope mine looks a nice when I get round to it.

Cheers

Tony.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, tonyot said:

That looks wonderful Alistair,..... pity you don`t have the man from the Airfix kit who was depicted walking up the ladder,.... complete with spy had and mac on!  Well done indeed,... hope mine looks a nice when I get round to it.

Cheers

Tony.

Thanks very much Tony

I know you will make this look like the amateur effort it really is.

Cheers,

Alistair

1 minute ago, 2996 Victor said:

Credit where its due, mate! You've built a little cracker :) 

Cheers,

Mark

Thanks so much Mark.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, AliGauld said:

Thanks very much Tony

I know you will make this look like the amateur effort it really is.

Cheers,

Alistair

Nothing amateur about that mate,.... top notch!

• Thanks 1

It looks like you have done a very good job on what seems to be regarded as a difficult kit.

A friend built one and said "it's not the best kit in 1/72 of a Lysander available".

The figures referred to came with the 1968 Frog kit.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/frog-f193-westland-lysander-mk1-or-mk3-spy-plane--157359

One of mine has done duty as a background station passenger, the other is virgin plastic.

51325484346_3ab435929e_b.jpg

Possibly a boxing of the Airfix kit had one but I have not seen it.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ed Russell said:

It looks like you have done a very good job on what seems to be regarded as a difficult kit.

A friend built one and said "it's not the best kit in 1/72 of a Lysander available".

The figures referred to came with the 1968 Frog kit.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/frog-f193-westland-lysander-mk1-or-mk3-spy-plane--157359

One of mine has done duty as a background station passenger, the other is virgin plastic.

51325484346_3ab435929e_b.jpg

Possibly a boxing of the Airfix kit had one but I have not seen it.

Thanks so much.

It was a challenge with lots of thinning and some reshaping but I'm rather pleased with the final result.

I seem to recall that the Airfix kit I built had a passenger in a climbing the ladder pose but it was about 50 years ago and I may be confused, but I will say that there were very few Frog kits on sale in Dingwall at the time.

Woolies did Airfix and one of the Toy/Book shops which was run by a Newsagent in town did have some Frog but not much.

Cheers,

Alistair

24 minutes ago, Meatbox8 said:

Very nice.  I definitely 'need' a Lysander, especially after seeing yours.

Thanks so much.

It's not a kit I would choose to build again but it's definitely worth the time and effort. 

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1

Lovely finish Alistair! The Lizzie is a difficult beast at any time, but you have made a great finish. The WIP has been a pleasure to see, and the SD scheme is a beauty!

Cheers,

Roger

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Dunny said:

Lovely finish Alistair! The Lizzie is a difficult beast at any time, but you have made a great finish. The WIP has been a pleasure to see, and the SD scheme is a beauty!

Cheers,

Roger

Thanks Roger,

Once I got past the fun with the canopy and closing the fuselage I really had a great time with this one.

I'm pleased that you enjoyed the WIP and hopefully it will be of some use to others in the future.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1