Mach 2 1/72nd scale DC-8-50 'Delta Airlines'

Afternoon all,

Here is the Mach 2 1/72nd DC-8-50 that rolled off the production line this very afternoon. Released at the end of last year, I was really keen to get my hands on one of these kits as I love the DC-8 and this is the first injection-moulded kit in 1/72nd scale of an important piece of civil aviation history. 

Unfortunately Mach 2 kits don't come with the best reputation, but I'd never built one before so threw caution to the wind. I'm used to dealing with 'difficult' kits and I'm pleased to say this one didn't pose too many problems at all - it is just like you'd expect from a short-run injection moulded kit. I thought it might be useful for fellow builders to have a quick summary of my findings below:

Cons:

• Typical short-run kit with no locating tabs and plenty of flash on the smaller parts;
  • I found that the right stabiliser was 3mm too high on the starboard side and needed lowering - a quick an easy fix;
  • The engine pylons were too deep on my example and the inboard engines almost touched the ground - 3mm was removed from each pylon and now the nacelles sit at the correct  height;
  • Transparencies needed a lot of work to get them clear;
  • Fit was a bit dodgy in places, and don't expect to build this kit without the use of fillers.

Pros:

• Panel detail appears accurate and well moulded;
  • Shapes seem pretty good to my eye;
  • Nicely detailed landing gear;
  • Overall the build was fairly painless and it went together well;
  • Nicely detailed flightdeck area;
  • Engines are nicely done and look the part once assembled;
  • Plastic is nice and thick and there's no need to additional interior bracing or the like;
  • It's a 1/72nd scale injection-moulded DC-8!

I used Halfords' automotive paints and has a custom set of decals printed by 8A decals to complete the build. All in all I really enjoyed this model and am pleased to finally have a decent DC-8 in my civvie collection.

All the best, 

Tom

DSC_0273

DSC_0217

DSC_0240

DSC_0243

DSC_0250

DSC_0254

DSC_0259

DSC_0260

DSC_0263

DSC_0264

DSC_0268

• Like 43
  • Thanks 4

This is a triumph, Tom!  Simply put, it's absolutely gorgeous.  IMHO, you've been a bit modest in your description, above, about the travails of building this kit.  Mach 2 requires careful handling, and you've shown brilliance in execution.  

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

This is a triumph, Tom!  Simply put, it's absolutely gorgeous.  IMHO, you've been a bit modest in your description, above, about the travails of building this kit.  Mach 2 requires careful handling, and you've shown brilliance in execution.  

VERY well said and I totally agree. A truly beautiful model. 

• Thanks 1

Outstanding!

Must be a large lump of plastic at this scale!  

I like to stick to 1/72 for my aircraft builds, so I'm most appreciative of what is out there in terms of "modern" airliners.

Having said that; the likely kit price, the Mach2 brand and the sheer size would intimidate me for sure.

It just shows what a skilled modeller you are! :clap2::clap2:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Quality modelling and finish. I admire your perseverance with these challenging Mach 2 kits. I've had their Argosy on the bench since 2016 and still can't get mu mojo fired up enough to finish it!

Mark

• Thanks 1

Simply stunning DC-8

A piece of art.

You are the first one,I read about, who said to have enjoyed the build of a MACH 2 kit...😉

I actually cancelled my order for one of those,might have been a mistake ?🤔

Thanks for sharing and also for the very informative WIP.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Outstanding! It must be huge! That paintwork and finish looks of such high quality, wonderful build.

I’d love some 1/72 classic airliners one day but simply don’t have the space. I suppose I could ask the Mrs if she’d mind moving all her Wedgewood crockery sets and cat photos off the dining room shelves but not sure it would be that well received! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

9 hours ago, canberraman said:

Quality modelling and finish. I admire your perseverance with these challenging Mach 2 kits. I've had their Argosy on the bench since 2016 and still can't get mu mojo fired up enough to finish it!

Mark

Many thanks, gentlemen. As I said in my original post I’d heard stories of nightmare build experiences with Mach 2 kits so had prepared myself for the worst. This really was not as bad as I’d feared, and I wonder if the quality of Mach 2 kits are on the up..?

8 hours ago, Alex1978 said:

Simply stunning DC-8

A piece of art.

You are the first one,I read about, who said to have enjoyed the build of a MACH 2 kit...😉

I actually cancelled my order for one of those,might have been a mistake ?🤔

Thanks for sharing and also for the very informative WIP.

I’d say treat yourself, Alex! Hopefully my WIP showed any potential pitfalls so forewarned is forearmed, as the old saying goes...

8 hours ago, Lord Riot said:

Outstanding! It must be huge! That paintwork and finish looks of such high quality, wonderful build.

I’d love some 1/72 classic airliners one day but simply don’t have the space. I suppose I could ask the Mrs if she’d mind moving all her Wedgewood crockery sets and cat photos off the dining room shelves but not sure it would be that well received! 

It is a fairly chunky model but quite a bit smaller than the Heller 1/72nd Boeing 707-300 so you could always tell her indoors that it’s actually quite a small airliner 😉

6 hours ago, kev67 said:

Looks fantastic Tom, much better than their VC10 attempt 

Many thanks, Kev - and that’s praise indeed coming from you! Yes it is certainly one of their better efforts - you know me and I’m no rivet counter but I at least like them to resemble the real thing!

Tom

• Like 1

On 20/07/2021 at 18:58, tomprobert said:

Afternoon all,

Here is the Mach 2 1/72nd DC-8-50 that rolled off the production line this very afternoon. Released at the end of last year, I was really keen to get my hands on one of these kits as I love the DC-8 and this is the first injection-moulded kit in 1/72nd scale of an important piece of civil aviation history. 

Unfortunately Mach 2 kits don't come with the best reputation, but I'd never built one before so threw caution to the wind. I'm used to dealing with 'difficult' kits and I'm pleased to say this one didn't pose too many problems at all - it is just like you'd expect from a short-run injection moulded kit. I thought it might be useful for fellow builders to have a quick summary of my findings below:

Cons:

• Typical short-run kit with no locating tabs and plenty of flash on the smaller parts;
  • I found that the right stabiliser was 3mm too high on the starboard side and needed lowering - a quick an easy fix;
  • The engine pylons were too deep on my example and the inboard engines almost touched the ground - 3mm was removed from each pylon and now the nacelles sit at the correct  height;
  • Transparencies needed a lot of work to get them clear;
  • Fit was a bit dodgy in places, and don't expect to build this kit without the use of fillers.

Pros:

• Panel detail appears accurate and well moulded;
  • Shapes seem pretty good to my eye;
  • Nicely detailed landing gear;
  • Overall the build was fairly painless and it went together well;
  • Nicely detailed flightdeck area;
  • Engines are nicely done and look the part once assembled;
  • Plastic is nice and thick and there's no need to additional interior bracing or the like;
  • It's a 1/72nd scale injection-moulded DC-8!

I used Halfords' automotive paints and has a custom set of decals printed by 8A decals to complete the build. All in all I really enjoyed this model and am pleased to finally have a decent DC-8 in my civvie collection.

All the best, 

Tom

DSC_0273

DSC_0217

DSC_0240

DSC_0243

DSC_0250

DSC_0254

DSC_0259

DSC_0260

DSC_0263

DSC_0264