BF-109G6 "White 11"

Hello everyone, finally I'm ready to join this GB :D .

My first entry to this GB will be a Eduard BF 109 G6 Weekend edition. I bought some Aeromaster decals a while ago for a G6, the one that caught my eye was "White 11" from 7./JG 3. Beside the decals, it will be build straight OOB. I have to find another canopy in my spare box, I just found out :) 
The box:

y4mipP8HYwcK6MXgkW5OAsiy1yoLJ0llKfQNYjoW

The sprues:

y4m4QqJuhGV0JV_rX1zmHAa36AEsjCqOjahA8jTK

The decals from the kit, quite stunned that eduard gives you 5 different schemes in a weekend kit ;) Really had to restrain myself for not building the one of the two finnish :D

y4mGemwqnHu_IkGipHnVKpXUyxgdb1--4A2Do3ZT

The one I'll be attempting to make (A/C #4). Those :

y4mdOvOfMGEg0iIwlewvFn7OpYuUNfLCW15cbYsk

The aeromaster decals:

y4me8gP1uLiMtnGtvs1PgdfhgM3I8tKV6Q94dWdv

• Like 5

Oh my god - what a fail I've made. This kit (G6/AS) is not at all similar to a "normal" G6. It has no bulges on the cowling. The cockpit has some differences too. I have a spare "body" from and older Eduard G6 in my spare box, but dont know if I just can swap that in instead :D 

If I can't, It will be build as one of the planes from the box :)

3 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

It does have bulges, just different ones.  I'd be astonished if the alternative fuselage didn't fit, or at least couldn't be made to with very little work.

Yes, I believe it should work! I'm going with it! :D 

After much research through my spares and pictures and consulting with a friend, I think I found a solution! The cockpit will be made fra the parts from the AS kit, except the part between the legs, up against the plate towards the engine room. Here I used the part which normally is used on a G6. For the fuselage halves, i used my spare ones from a Royal class G6 set (With big bulges on). The small instrument parts for the sides fitted fine, so I guess the are generic from Eduards side. So far, so good :) 

The cockpit is now build, and painted with RLM66, then lightly oversprayed with a lightened RLM66.

y4mKfO8Xx5ARanILl9iv9ORHtUglm5QbQ9iEFvkB

y4m2ZCqWfCeKj2zsGeTI235ElKD5AF7zFLPlzWCx

So time for all the details :D

• Like 5

Cockpit done. 

I've finished the details in the cockpit. The seatbelts is decals, but I put them on pieces of tape to make them look a bit thicker. After everything was dry, I dusted it with some brown pigments. 

y4m8PvbE2ldmBmBgzzrfbNOV1o7hNL1kRyL-zGC7

y4mCEaXdzgVEAMRZEWYf0MZ3sm-9TJ9CP_0k-1Pt

y4mh1Fd2gRri3-DSq0bQaYq2rCD5Q1-92vyvtrcW

• Like 4

Looking good. I built a Weekend Edition G-2 last year and like you put the seatbelt transfers on a backing sheet for  that 3D effect. It’s a lovely kit but don’t do what I did and fix the nose cannon troughs from underneath!

Trevor

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

Looking good. I built a Weekend Edition G-2 last year and like you put the seatbelt transfers on a backing sheet for  that 3D effect. It’s a lovely kit but don’t do what I did and fix the nose cannon troughs from underneath!

Trevor

Haha thank you for the advice, i have fitted them to the plante, an mounted that to the fuselage, so No problem 😉 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got something new to show :) 

To solution with using an "old" fuselage for a G6, and the rest from the AS seems to work for now :D The fuselage and wings went very nice together, no filler needed. The only issue I had, is the gap between the fuselage and the plate behind the seat. It has been filled as shown on picture. I did'nt have the correct pieces, so had to use the one from the AS set.

y4mGhbSBpFQLKfeQXjd29rgYDg_HOhitERw4VwA4y4myHBFqnePG6PXIddI9O-MexJZ1qXIhLZibOAqO

• Like 5

More progress :) The kit is now finish builded, and have received grey primer and black preshading. Building this kit has been a real pleasure, everything just fitted, they only problems I encountered was because of the mix between to set :)
y4mC77WQLMPrf4ANQaIlYNau5dk8N4GIWCvwdeUV

y4mEsuyU7HeKHMRZ-Hc-DLBU1ve4Ie-0gK_Vh0Ee

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

A lot has happened since my last update.
The plane is now painted, and waiting for clear coat. I have used AK real colours, which is such a joy painting with :)

There is some small thing here and there needing attention, but I'll wait till after the clear coat, maybe it will hide it :)
y4m2AACFvnAh_AQC3oaETyrFfBiw7xhgBvnhUk23

y4m-KnMf26bMEoNeM-qRypQuP0E_TokZK-db9Pbc

• Like 9

I've started applying the decals. So far they just settles beautifully to the surface. I did fear the decals would be a pain in the a.. to fit proberly on the bulges, and at the beginning i looked horrible, but with some decal softener i just layed down :)  There is however quite a bit to go still, but thought I would show the progress so far :)
y4mJIc7b53sFK57gzd60D61c95rwe0j0Ob0f4P0o

Sorry for the rather poor image, still trying to figure out how to make better photos with my phone :) 

• Like 8

Looking good!

I know what you mean about the photography with the phone, I think its down to the lighting.  I found the pictures I took outside came out so much better.

Good luck.

Darryl 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Looking good!

I know what you mean about the photography with the phone, I think its down to the lighting.  I found the pictures I took outside came out so much better.

Good luck.

Darryl 

Thanks for that advide, If the sun is out next time, I will give it a shot :)

This is a beautiful Gustav, super well done!

JR

• Thanks 1

More has been done :)
All decals are now on, it has been clear coated again. Then washes have been applied, the some matt coat. Im doing some weathering now:)

I'm going with a very light weathering on this, since this is'nt an ace's aircraft, it did proberly not flew long enough to be prober dirty 🤠 (But I could be completely wrong :P )

Anyway, here is the newest photo. 
y4mSwTFHDEbaIo2kBcaXFqSr_CMr9WsoeLn1UDIU

• Like 4

It has come to and end :)
I'm quite pleased with the final result. At the beginning of this GB, I had convienced myself that I should build many 109 from the stash, well, it only became this one, other things got in the way, and this build just took longer than expected :) But as always, building a Eduard 109 is a joy, everything fit good. I'm a bit unsure about the decals in the newest of Eduard sets, having a bit of a hard time making them look good enough. It's a bit like they have a transfering film on top, but when trying to remove it, it just goes in a million pieces, or the decal is scratched/destroyed. Have anyone encountered the same issues with newer Eduard set, or is just me using a wrong decal softerne perhaps?

Anyways, here is a picture of the finish Bf 109 g6 white 11 (more pictures will be in the gallery soon) 
y4mAQq7BgLWmf96N09hAbx1URVdnZZieBg3nmi_m

• Like 6