Stampe SV.4, Azur Frrom 1/72

During my build of Renard R.31 I have found that Azur From are good at Belgian planes. So time for a Stampe:

spacer.png

I decided to use this particular boxing because I want to build the 1940 overall yellow Belgian Air Force trainer. A photo and a profile can be found in Avions Hors Serie 18.

This is what’s in the box:

spacer.png

• Like 6

Recent research (Brussels Air Museum Magazine, 1Q 2021) seems to suggest that these 1939/1940 Stampe were in fact in Silver (Silver Dope). There is a very interesting photo giving around 10 Stampe at the factory, all in Silver. Some might have been camoiflaged (in the usual Belgian camouflage colors of silver dope (down) and khaki-brown (up), apparently only one photo exist ... but it doesn't show the plane code. So you might go for Silver, for aircraft 13 / 1 / 5 /15 / 10 / 2 / 7 / 9 / 11 / 4, all in the same photo,  roundel on fuselage, code (black) on rudder. The Yellow (Tangoin fact, some kind of Orange) might have been applied on Belgian trainers, but it doesn't seem it was on the pre-war Stampes.

Thanks TT. And thank you Gilles. Well I am a bit confused. I went through all the photos at https://www.belgian-wings.be/stampe-vertongen-sv-4b-pre-war

There are several civilian SV.4s in military service at the page bottom and they are definitely silver dope. The V-coded military planes seem to be "darker" but the color remains a mystery to me.

There is also one photo of khaki/silver dope Stampe but no code is visible - maybe this could be the way as I have seen a model of V-6 built in this camouflage.

Edited by Marcel
A typo corrected
  • Like 1

After a modeling day plus some midnight oil (the beds are burning) the interior is ready. All parts from the box, some Eduard leftover seatbelts were added plus the rear bulkhead from a piece of plasticard. Dashboards are finished with some spare decals.

spacer.png

• Like 6

Unless the builder gave his sources, I wouldn't consider a built kit as a reference for colors / camouflage (V-6). But nobody prevents you from doing the V-6 in that camouflage if you want too ... this is your model, and the most important point is to enjoy it !

For the militarised civilian aircraft, the photos seem to show only silver dope aircraft (at least the ones on the site). The third one had an inverted engine, apparently.

By the way one of my fellow modelers says the planes were orange overall - in fact the color is darker than their roundel yellow and paler than the roundel red. I think this makes sense.

• Like 2

I was a bit afraid of the cabana struts - but everything turned OK. Fortunately their pegs are long enough to stay in the template holes. Now the glue needs more time to harden.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 5

On 7/21/2021 at 9:19 PM, Marcel said:

By the way one of my fellow modelers says the planes were orange overall - in fact the color is darker than their roundel yellow and paler than the roundel red. I think this makes sense.

I’d agree

• 1 month later...

All decals but the upper wing roundels applied. The roundels are from the Frrom BAF 1940 sheet, S.V.4 stencils on rudder from the kit decals, number 1 was taken from Kora AVRO 504 N set and "V" letter was made from a black "A" that I had in my box of different decals.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...

Good question. This is how I build biplanes: I finish the fuselage/tailplanes, undercarriage etc. Plus the undersurfaces of the top wing.

Then the top wing is drilled throughout because of the rigging - I pull invisible mending thread through the holes and apply superglue on the wing upper surfaces. Then the upper wing is filled, sanded, painted...

• Like 3

Looking nice. I have built two of these nice kits. One as the Tiger Club aircraft G-ATKC and one as a single seat Belgian one of the display team 'Les Manchots' during late 1960s early 70s as V18 in black/white  with red sunburst to top wing. Looking out for your finished specimen.  

BY the way I have two more in the stash saved for a rainy day.