Canberra PR7

BillF67

On 25/07/2021 at 08:34, rickshaw said:

No, they don't.  Actually, just perusing their website suggests they no longer produce any Canberra variants.

I just had a look at the HPM website, and the B.2 and T.4 (both in 1:72) can be "added to cart." The same is true for the B(1) Mk. 8, RB-57A, RB-57D in 1:144. So I assume these are readily available.

Other marks are shown as "contact for availability." These include the B.20, B.6, Mk. 21, RB-57D-2, and RB-57A (all in 1:72) and B.2, Mk. 20, and B.6 (all in 1:144). I recently inquired about the availability of the 1:72 Sea Vixen, and was able to buy one. So you never know - if you see something you like send them an email. Christopher responds very quickly.

Cheers,

Bill

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, rossm said:

I thought the A had the American engines?

For my D I did not use a spar, it's been ok so far. My problem was the main undercarriage legs seem too tall to get the right sit - or maybe they should have more rake than I gave them? RFI -

Sorry for give the thread drift another nudge Bill.

As I said, the A model looks superficially like the Canberra but there are a lot of detail changes. 

John

I will mate the Aeroclub forward fuselage with the FROG B(I) 8 to get a PR.7.  The B(I) 8 has the correct body length, engines, and shape--just a matter of doing some cutting to create camera windows, and a rear-fuselage flare bay using the existing kit parts.  Though they are designed for the S and M kit, Scale Aircraft Conversion's landing gear set should do quite nicely.  Just a matter of detailing the gear bays, finding a MB Mk.2 ejection seat, and otherwise having fun with it.  Paint would be disruptive green/gray over LAG with low-viz decals for #39 Squadron.

3 minutes ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

I will mate the Aeroclub forward fuselage with the FROG B(I) 8 to get a PR.7.  The B(I) 8 has the correct body length, engines, and shape--just a matter of doing some cutting to create camera windows, and a rear-fuselage flare bay using the existing kit parts.  Though they are designed for the S and M kit, Scale Aircraft Conversion's landing gear set should do quite nicely.  Just a matter of detailing the gear bays, finding a MB Mk.2 ejection seat, and otherwise having fun with it.  Paint would be disruptive green/gray over LAG with low-viz decals for #39 Squadron.

Unfortunately, that won't work, the fuselage will be too short. Every thing else is ok though.

John

5 minutes ago, canberra kid said:

fuselage will be too short

That's fine.  I know where to make the cuts and additions, thanks to your excellent station diagrams.  The fuselage cross section should be constant where I need to add 1/4" of length and that makes it relatively easy to do, especially in creating compartments/flat optical sections for the cameras.

26 minutes ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

That's fine.  I know where to make the cuts and additions, thanks to your excellent station diagrams.  The fuselage cross section should be constant where I need to add 1/4" of length and that makes it relatively easy to do, especially in creating compartments/flat optical sections for the cameras.

Yes it's quite straightforward. 

John

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

I just had a look at the HPM website, and the B.2 and T.4 (both in 1:72) can be "added to cart." The same is true for the B(1) Mk. 8, RB-57A, RB-57D in 1:144. So I assume these are readily available.

Other marks are shown as "contact for availability." These include the B.20, B.6, Mk. 21, RB-57D-2, and RB-57A (all in 1:72) and B.2, Mk. 20, and B.6 (all in 1:144). I recently inquired about the availability of the 1:72 Sea Vixen, and was able to buy one. So you never know - if you see something you like send them an email. Christopher responds very quickly.

Cheers,

Bill

I stand corrected.  I obviously didn't use the search function.  Now I've done that, I've found what kits are available.

I recently purchased a T.4 nose in resin by Heritage.  Looks good.

Edited by rickshaw
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 25/07/2021 at 12:15, BillF67 said:

I got an aeroclub resin conversion. I’ve just gotten 2 Canberras off self same EBay, an Airfix B57 and a High Planes B(1)8 for £25 the pair. I’m hoping that with the help of the assembled wisdom here that I can make up my PR7 from them. To paraphrase Montgomery Burns, “Dammit, Smithers, it’s Canberra surgery! It isn’t rocket science”.

Bill

Update on this. Since acquiring these, I’ve been gifted a FroG PR7😱. These 2 and the conversion are now surplus. I'll put them up on the for sale pages today or tomorrow as individual items or with an option to take all three,if anyone is interested.

Thanks for stopping by.

Bill

• 1 year later...

I know I am resurrecting this thread some 18 months later but I thought Iwould mention that I have received parts necessary to create a PR7 curtesey of our very own ‘Canberra kid’ along with the necessary information to create the model.  However, I am also considering designing a 3D printed conversion for the 1/72 Airfix B(I)6 - on the grounds that it is slightly more likely to be lurking in stashes than the B-57 although I’ve put the 2 types of fuselage together and they do match.  My thoughts are:

extended forward fuselage plug to include the camera bay and a segment to fit behind the flare bay with camera ports.

OK, important thing is, this is going to stretch my 3D design skills (although I have managed the replacement Airfix 1/72 Javelin rear fuselage satisfactorily).  The question is - is anyone likely to be interested, if I am able to master the necessary skills to pull this off?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I’m sure there will be some interest - there ain’t nothing else readily available to do a PR7. Now if only there was a set of 1/72 17 Sqn decals for a PR7………….

3 hours ago, BillF67 said:

I’m sure there will be some interest - there ain’t nothing else readily available to do a PR7. Now if only there was a set of 1/72 17 Sqn decals for a PR7………….

Don't know why I didn't think of this earlier - I have the Model Alliance Canberra squadron markings sheet and it appears there are 2 sets of squdron markings for 17 Sqdn aircraft which you can have as I don't need them. I've sent you an email with more details.

On 7/20/2021 at 1:20 PM, Jabba said:

I am sure that Aeroclub did produce a conversion many years ago, so is probably very difficult to find.

You are correct, I have the aeroclub replacement pr vac form fuselage in the stash. 

Selwyn

On 2/6/2023 at 11:57 AM, TeeELL said:

extended forward fuselage plug to include the camera bay and a segment to fit behind the flare bay with camera ports

That sounds like a good plan.  The trouble with the Airfix kit is with the nose shape, unfortunately.  The aeroclub replacement is quite narrow, and I'm unsure how well it fits the Airfix kit, but it is narrower than the FROG BI.8, so I've had to make a few small adjustments.  The "skin" is also quite thin.  IF AMP re-releases Mel Bromley's B.6, then your extended fuselage plug will be a most welcome thing, but even with the existing B.2, you can obtain a PR.3.

The idea is that I am going to try and reproduce the entire forward fuselage from the forward part of the bomb bay (PR7 fuel tank) to the nose cone.  I have the items mentioned by ‘Canberra kid’ and if those parts reflect a corrected shape for the forward fuselage, then I can measure them.  So, to clarify- (subject to my 3D CAD skill set improving)

1.  a complete forward fuselage with camera ports windows etc,

2.  a basic cockpit (requiring seats etc),

3.  ideally a vacform canopy,

4.  rear lower fuselage piece with camera ports.

• Like 2

I have been pondering over the way to create the forward fuselage for the Canberra.  I spent about 15 minutes putting my theories to the test and came up with this as a first go: 

This is not accurately measured just an attempt at seeing if I can do it!

exvU3Zg.jpg

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Already it looks better than the Airfix nose, so you're on the right path I think.

Thanks, but what you see is nothing more than ‘educated’ guess work!  The Canberra kid (John) is going to source me some accurate measurements so I can create the best possible shape.  I then need to work out how to create the cockpit, cut out the camera and window ports, work out how to make the canopy etc!  Still, it keeps the old grey cells active.

• Like 2