How does the output quality of H&S Infinity compare to its Ultra?

blackshark3

Having had an intermission of nearly two decades I just returned to AFV model recently and starting to accumulate my stash. One thing I begin to snap up is airbrush, as in the past I did not have much success with airbrushes, they always ended up with clogs and ruined needles/nozzles. I am quite surprised that the prices of airbrush like Gunze Mr Hobby ones are now priced at almost the same as those back then, not to mention back then there were virtually no Chinese cheap airbrush, so with the airbrush in better value now I intend to get myself more acquainted with the use of airbrush. After fiddling with several "cheap" Chinese airbrush, finally able to get them to work, I am now looking at the better offerings, wondering how much difference they could offer. I now have in the mail coming to me two Mr Hobby airbrushes (PS270 and 289), a Badger Sotar, and hours ago just ordered for a H&S Infinity CR+ 2 in 1. After ordering the HS Infinity, I noticed that basically all HS airbrushes are equipped with the same set of needles and nozzles, which makes me wonder whether there would be any substantial improvement on the output quality between, say, the Infinity and the Ultra (which costs only 1/3 to the infinity)?

Edited by blackshark3

• blackshark3 changed the title to How does the output quality of H&S Infinity compare to its Ultra?

Worth having a read here:

You certainly have a big range of airbrushes now. All have their nuances and all will do the job brilliantly. As a general comment, if I can make a recommendation, I would settle on one now and get to know it very well. This will ensure you explore the requirements for trigger control and paint thinning before moving onto another brush. I too have many airbrushes and have tended to settle on a couple that do the job. I use a Iwata HP-CS 0.35 (larger coverage, metallics), HP-B Plus 0.2 (General Purpose), and H&S Infinity CR Plus 0.15. I like the latter for super fine lines and the paint cup lid though all the extra junk like paint volume stroke limitation I don't need. More important for me is they all meet my key criteria - as many chrome coats as possible, PTFE needle seal/packing and easy to clean. 

Ray

I have both the Infinity and Ultra - though either I paid too much for the Ultra, or got a bargain on the infinity as the price difference was not that much ...

But anyway, as I see it airbrushing is all about control. I can get similar results with both brushes (.15 and 0.2 needles) paint thinning and air pressure seemingly more important than nozzle diameter. The infinity scores for me with a better nozzle guard design for close work and the limiter, which unlike Ray, I find extremely useful for getting consistent results when, for example, spraying mottle camouflage. The infinity also sits in my hand more comfortably and has more heft - again contributing to control.

That said either one can produce great results and the biggest factor of all would be which ever one you practice most with

Cheers

Colin

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ckw said:

and the limiter, which unlike Ray, I find extremely useful for getting consistent results when, for example, spraying mottle camouflage.

Hi Colin,

Yes my words were a little harsh. As you rightly say practice is the biggest factor. 

Ray

Hi Ray and Colin, Thank you for the replies.

After I ordered the Infinity CR+ I also looked at other options/accessories to go with it. As my Infinity set comes with 0.15 + 0.4mm nozzle/needle, I thought of getting the 0.2mm nozzle and needle to complete the package (Also I heard that the 0.15 is quite finicky on paint, so I thought the 0.2 would be more forgiving). As I was looking at the price of the 0.2mm nozzle and needle I found out that a local shop offers the Ultra 2 in 1 set at the price of just about 60% more than I would have to pay for just the 0.2 nozzle and needle. That got me thinking that I could get the Ultra set for the 0.2mm pack to put on the Infinity, and then use the Ultra with the 0.4 for broader things like spraying primer. Is it a good idea to get that Ultra set or just settle with the 0.2 needle/nozzle pack for the Infinity?

Thank you again

Regards

Jason

I can't say I've found the .15 to be finicky - but I only use enamels and occasionally Tamiya & Mr Hobby acrylics. But I have heard it can be a bit of a pain with water based acrylics (Vallejo and the like).

If you can afford it, having 2 airbrushes with different needles is very convenient rather than having to swap needles all the time.  It also gives you a bit of redundancy should one of them act up and requires repair.

Cheers

Colin

If the price isn't an issue get the Ultra, even if it is just a backup. The one BIG flaw with the Ultra (for me) is that the cup isn't threaded. It's just a push-on and when you start getting wear in the area it becomes slightly loose and paint starts to seep through. Sure, you can help it with a bit of PTFE tape, but it's still annoying.

I find the 0.15 Infinity brilliant for fine work. It loves lacquers. I use the Iwatas for most other work as I mentioned. Even though I have the H&S 2-in-1 boxings I do not swap out 0.15. I keep the 0.4 as a back-up. As Colin @ckw said having another air brush is the best option save changing out the nozzle. 

10 hours ago, bmwh548 said:

If the price isn't an issue get the Ultra, even if it is just a backup. The one BIG flaw with the Ultra (for me) is that the cup isn't threaded. It's just a push-on and when you start getting wear in the area it becomes slightly loose and paint starts to seep through. Sure, you can help it with a bit of PTFE tape, but it's still annoying.

I am but a basic amateur and use an Ultra, the push in paint cups are indeed a pita, especially if you have oaf like tendencies, as I do.

The black paint spatter pattern across 6 feet of my garage floor is testament to what happens when uncoordinated meets paint cup full of XF69.......

• Haha 1