Vulcan Olympus Engine differences

FZ6

Quick question. I have the new airfix Vulcan and have read that the engine faces included in the  kit are for the 301 engines and not the 201 engines. I've found some referencess on what the 201 engine fronts look like but haven't found anything I can identify as a 301 engine, Would anyone be able to advise me of the differences please so I can look at making new ones please?

Thanks in advance,

Mark

I am by no means an expert on the Vulcan and its engines, but here is what I found after a few minutes of searching the Interweb.

This is a 301, which, according to the web page where I found it, was taken in the hangar  at Bruntingthorpe Airfield on the 17th February 2009:

vulcan-1593.jpg

And this is a 201:

Olympus-201.jpg

Edited by Space Ranger
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for sharing these pics, they certainly highlight the differences between the two engines and will help me design some more detailed replacements for my kit.

Cheers,

Mark

From memory the only real difference between the two is an additional compressor stage on the 301 and the exhaust are slightly wider and shorter then on the 201. 
The pics above show a front end 201 and a back end 301 so don’t use that if you want to change the compressor face look. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, aerotechi said:

The pics above show a front end 201 and a back end 301 so don’t use that if you want to change the compressor face look. 

Whoops. here's a better photo of a 301, but not much of the front end is visible:

BristolOlympus301.jpg

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the pics, they look really useful. I did think the 301 in the first pic looked a little strange but is useful because now I know what the back end looks like as well.

I think I can use these to design something that will be a nice addition to my Vulcan.

Thanks again,

Mark

Thanks again for sharing the images and advice on the engine detail. I thought I'd share what I've been able to produce for my model based on the data above.

Cad Drawing of components in situ

51344114293_f1d881cc83_b.jpg

Olympus 201 Engines Airfix Vulcan by Mark Maclean, on Flickr

Exploded view

51344114298_9dd5dcf231_b.jpg

Olympus 201 Engines Airfix Vulcan by Mark Maclean, on Flickr

First prototype in situ. I had some z axis shift on this one but even despite this, it came out ok

51344640519_c3148c44fe_h.jpg

Olympus 201 Prototype 1 by Mark Maclean, on Flickr

Showing how neatly the assembly is designed to fit over the intake

51343898096_56cc7223d7_b.jpg

Vulcan Air Intake by Mark Maclean, on Flickr

A view down the intake. I like the added depth my parts have over the kit part

51343179412_34e4d9092d_b.jpg

Olympus 201 Prototype in situ by Mark Maclean, on Flickr

Second prototype following some tweaks.

51343179572_5bf593fc89_b.jpg

Olympus 201 Prototype 2 by Mark Maclean, on Flickr

I think some minor tweaks are required to improve the fit bit otherwise, I'm really happy with how this has turned out.

Thanks again,

Mark

• Like 7

8 hours ago, Space Ranger said:

Very clever! Do you intend to offer these for sale?

Thanks, Now I’ve done the work, I have thought of making a few sets available to fellow Britmodellers who may be interested and will certainly look into the best way to be able to do this.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, FZ6 said:

Thanks, Now I’ve done the work, I have thought of making a few sets available to fellow Britmodellers who may be interested and will certainly look into the best way to be able to do this.

Maybe Alistair @Ali62 is interested in turning them into product level?

The look great!

36 minutes ago, Robert said:

@FZ6 do you know if they will fit the older Vulcan kit ?

Regards

Robert

Hi Robert,

I have the old vulcan in the stash. It's a kit I bought in 1998 I think. I built it but wasn't happy with it so tore it apart to make new interior parts and wheel bays and now I have it in bits wondering if I'll ever finish it now i have the new kit. I've offered up my parts to the old vulcan and with some adaptation, I think they can be made to fit. It would just require the end cap cutting down and maybe some adjustments.

• Like 1