Are there any 1950s era bus kits that have chassis and axle details?

bootneck

Hello, I am looking to build a couple of bus models in 1:144 scale and would like to find kits to use for measuring etc.   The main area that I need to identify is the underneath, the chassis, cross-frames, clutch housing and axles etc., but the only kits I've heard of are flat bottomed with no detail.  Does anyone know of kits, or other sources, whereby I can get chassis and access details for them?

I am trying to get details for single and double deck buses.

cheers,

Mike

In my experience 1:144 bus kits remain few in numbers and even 1:76 and 1:72 models tend to lack chassis details. I fear that it will be back to basic research on this one.

This Flickr site has a couple of cut away pictures of chassis

AEC Renown chassis drawing.

Found by searching "bus exploded view UK" use both Google and bing as each gives different results.

If you are carrying on with your Birmingham theme an email to this group might work regarding diagrams etc..

https://www.wythall.org.uk/

• Like 1

Hi Paul, 

Yes, most searches have come up with these oblique view which don't help me to define dimension or where to draw/make the parts.   I do understand that there is very; nay, extremely, little in 1:144 scale hence I am looking for any kits that might have chassis details.  I have done loads of searches, including asked about books on buses, all to no avail so far and that is now why I am trying to find kits that might help me. 

cheers,

Mike

1. afaik no model or toy bus/truck has chassis detail, especially not accurate layout

2. there a number of clubs for real vintage buses and trucks. If you contact them one of their members may have and may be willing to share an 'oiling & greasing' chart for the chassis. This is an example for the Austin 7 (1922 - 1939)

YBbhNHcr5ype2wwScMAy6V6VzrcJs2LTgBkmBTP_

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/proxy/YBbhNHcr5ype2wwScMAy6V6VzrcJs2LTgBkmBTP_yk03c2HH8IvU3_S3DbSbB30KYlMcm3BGlIcAkT7AD1yeoBy_Q-XvJGykSiZDMydjtzdqMTTiye5YWRb6eKRkjLR0

For the period you want the chassis and running gear on buses and trucks had to be oiled or greased daily so these charts, guides, were used as reminders

That one for the Austin 7, I have a copy for my car and it is very close to dimensionally accurate to my car. The schematic is probably 100%, its the car which has altered

• Thanks 1

Good morning BK, 

unfortunately I cannot open the image.   From your description though, it does sound as if that is the type of guide and chart I shall be on the lookout for.

cheers,
Mike

Excellent and I could certainly work to images like that.  Now I just need to find similar for buses and coaches.

cheers,
Mike