Airfix 1/72 Consolidated B-24J Liberator (05006-3)

My build of the Airfix 1/72 Consolidated B-24J Liberator (05006-3)

Consolidated_B24J_Liberator_2021_GB_068.

Consolidated_B24J_Liberator_2021_GB_069.

Consolidated_B24J_Liberator_2021_GB_070.

Consolidated_B24J_Liberator_2021_GB_071.

Consolidated_B24J_Liberator_2021_GB_072.

Consolidated_B24J_Liberator_2021_GB_073.

Consolidated_B24J_Liberator_2021_GB_074.

Consolidated_B24J_Liberator_2021_GB_075.

Consolidated_B24J_Liberator_2021_GB_076.

Consolidated_B24J_Liberator_2021_GB_077.

"The Dragon and His Tail" decals for B24J Liberator 44-40973, 64th Bomb Squadron, 43rd Bomb Group, August 1945 came from Xtradecal Set X72082. It was built for the ATF 15th Anniversary GB.

Not my finest ever build but an enjoyable one nevertheless as it was more of an exercise in nostalgia than hyper-modelling. Apart from some added detail in the wheel wells and aftermarket decals it was an OOB build. BTW, the wings, cowlings, tailplanes, front and rear turrets are not fixed in place as the plane is going into storage, probably never to be seen again!

Dave

• Like 40

Very nice indeed  you have done a great job. Isn't this nose art on the original aircraft, the longest piece of nose art in the world?

There was a program quite recently and this was on that program, I can't remember what it was called or what channel unfortunately. 

Chris

• Like 1

Thanks everybody. 👍

@bigbadbadge Chris, that could well be the case but where do "nose" art limits end as this could be called "fuselage" art!

It's just as well that there wasn't another Liberator behind it when it was being done otherwise that could have become an extension!

Dave

• Haha 2

Excellent. Considering what you had to work with, OOB thats as good as its ever going to get.

Meanwhile, mine lingers in the stash staring at me accusingly. I have, until now, found it easy to resist its 'charms'....

• Like 1

Thanks, @Vinnie.

From nose to tail, there are a total of nine sections to the design with additional sections for the bomb doors. There were also "chalk outlined" sections as 44-40973 flew with an incomplete design for a while. The original decal sheet is below:

spacer.png

I found it better to apply the decals starting with decal 4 for the window at the rear of the fuselage and going backward and forward from it. Going any other way would have magnified any misalignment and make it more difficult to go around the windows:

spacer.png

Dave

• Like 2

Brilliant job!

You've made the old Airfix kit turn out as good as any Academy or Hasegawa build, from my point of view.

That makes you a talented modeler I reckon.

:thumbsup:

• Thanks 1