Old school Tornado!

After the Jag, I still feel the need for 80’s RAF metal, and what represents that era better than a Norfolk land shark? This is the older Revell kit, with a rather cavernous box containing more sprues than I can recall for any other model. There seems to be enough plastic for two Tornados in here! 

EF513565-4525-4182-9239-048-C93-A851-E1.

F4-D55406-DFA5-4-E2-C-94-DD-3-B7165-D72-

I’m delighted to see I’ll be able to model it with everything sticking out and hanging down! Makes a nice change after my DIY efforts on the Jaguar.

C3-E85-B6-D-C979-4906-8-C84-5-EB90-B8-E2

Loving the upper spoilers. Although I assume this is where I’ll be informed no Tornado ever sat on Marham’s flight line with them sticking up!? I might just claim artistic licence, as the more protruding bits the better in my opinion.

The kit was my usual eBay special, so came without decals or instructions. I’ll print the instructions off Scalemates or somewhere, and I have these beauties for decals. Look at all that green and grey camo, proper fast jet colour!

7-B9-C3-FB5-330-F-4171-A5-FD-B1352-CE581

For now I’m intending to do the 27 Sqn one from Marham.

767-AAA06-EB08-42-A3-94-E9-9-CE8320690-E

Im going to need some aftermarket cockpit bits …

• Like 7

Its a great kit if you dont follow the instructions!

Theres a 4 or 5 part build on youtube , follow him and it'll go together much better than if you follow the instructions. 

Edited by Darth Vader
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Darth Vader said:

Its a great kit if you dont follow the instructions!

Theres a 4 or 5 part build on youtube , follow him and it'll go together much better than if you follow the instructions. 

They are a great set of videos that make the build sooo much easier….I highly recommend them.

• Like 1

I’ve made a (slow) start, just got the seats painted though nowhere near done yet. It’s too hot to sit up in the study for long doing this. Too hot to spray outside too. Seats are medium sea grey, it looks close enough. I think once put together they should look ok, I don’t think I’ll need aftermarket ones.

I need to find some instrument panel and side console decals though, way too much detail to paint those!

696-CEE15-3-B34-4256-AA8-F-E093-F06-A3-C

73-F36655-5113-442-C-B452-1-C49-C255-A96

• Like 5

I've got 2 sets of the 617, 19, 2 Sqn & Sooe decal sheets by Airfix ( no cockpit decals, but looks like everyting else is on there) and the Heller IDS decal sheet complete

any use?

• Thanks 1

Apologies @Lord Riot if this is not appropriate, but if you don’t want them, I’d be very interested in coming to some arrangement with @darthspud for the Italian half of the decal sheet from the Heller IDS that he is offering.

• Like 1

Hello Lord Riot,

May I take a seat at the bar please ?

I have that same box with a similar chage of nationality in my mind...

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Filler said:

Apologies @Lord Riot if this is not appropriate, but if you don’t want them, I’d be very interested in coming to some arrangement with @darthspud for the Italian half of the decal sheet from the Heller IDS that he is offering.

If I can get pics later, just tell me who needs which bits. The 2 Airfix sheets should do 2 airframes- you will need national markings but most stencils and unit markings are on both sheets. The Heller sheet is complete( shabby) and Lord Riot has 1st refusal on that one. Does that sound reasonable? Oh and I'm in UK.

• Thanks 1

Build as you please Lord Riot. If you can hang it or stick it out then let it be artistic licence rules, just imagine it's in maintenance in the hanger. When my friend work on 2 squadron at Marham he showed me round their hanger and let me look around and inside one of their tornados with it's state of art reconnaissance recording system (VHS tape) and the navigation programming system (c60 cassette tape) Wow 

• Like 1

I wasn’t happy with the seats, despite trying to paint as carefully as possible. 

B407-A23-F-168-B-4-E04-9254-40-D36918-AA

So I decided to cover most of the kit’s strap details which looked very inaccurate compared to photos of the real thing, and scratch build a few straps and hoses.

08-C01986-CBA1-499-B-A193-099103-D96464.

Bent wire for the hoses, Tamiya tape belts and seat pads.

6959-A221-F8-C8-47-C2-90-D2-87-FBB7-C40-

I glued the wire hoses with superglue so hopefully I’ll be able to bend the pink tube part to shape once the seats are in the cockpit tub. I’ll just dry fit them first to see how it’ll all fit. 

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

I have been intrigued by what you get in the IDS and ECR boxes for a while.  Looks like the IDS has some common parts with F3 & a good level of detail.  Will be watching with interest.  Keep up the good work 

• Thanks 1

The wing swing mechanism links to the pylon mounts and all seems to work, but is rendered pointless by the fact the wing sweep covers then fix them in the forward position! Unless you cut those, but then there’d be a gap and I’ll be displaying the wings in the forward position like they were usually parked.

975-B1-D82-1892-4915-BE05-C9191-C16-ACFE

Fuselage cover fitted.

1-BBE4759-93-B2-470-A-B36-B-9-C4-F0-A443

And nose area/forward fuselage fitted. Needs a dry fit to test first as it’s not the easiest fit but after a bit of fiddling with it sits quite nicely. It’ll need some filling and sanding though.

544-B00-A8-FBA4-48-A8-8721-0237879-C10-B

• Like 4

ZA613 was one of the early delivery Tornado GR1's. When in use with 27 Sqn it had not had the LRMTS fitted under the nose. Also the area's under the flaps and slats were painted in the same very light grey, used in the undercarriage bays.

The 1500 lire drop tanks had the initial 4 fin fit.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/cooke1/31957990837

The build is looking good. nice work.

Rob.

• Thanks 1

The fit of the intakes isn’t great to be honest, they’re over complicated in my opinion. I’m trying to beat them into shape with lots of filler and some plastic card.

1-D411-A51-1525-4-E3-E-AD36-BE84-E1-B7-E

7-B46-C9-B9-2-AD0-4-A22-A306-C7-ACF95-C4

• Like 1

More work on the intakes, with lots of sanding after the filler dried. I used three grades of sandpaper, starting with the roughest to remove the excess filler and flatten it all to the same(ish) height. 

B3754-A51-0-D4-F-41-D5-A7-FF-3-F6-BACB68

I rescribed the inlet doors after sanding. I’m surprised Revell didn’t give the option to have them open.

D172-C040-04-A6-4-ECE-B9-F5-9-E8-A7-F274

The underside of one of the intake halves needed adjusting as well as filling.

2-ABAF8-B5-8-B72-4-C18-B39-B-30-EE629-FC

CBF61-DFC-93-A3-4307-B9-D9-81-F4-A9-D054

Just about managed to line it all up.

1-FC6-FDAB-34-FD-439-F-A221-96-ABEAAED9-

And all sanded smooth. There was a noticeable ridge where the cockpit section joined the main fuselage too, just next to the canopy hinge area. I sanded it level with a narrow file.

FFF3-B066-EC66-47-DE-A8-D3-93-C097-E33-D

Both sides about as smooth as I can get them without destroying the surface detail.

A448526-C-9-AC3-4-DAF-91-A1-F76-E21896-E

And of course the wing glove areas needed some filler too!

C97-F27-E9-36-BB-4-D25-8-D8-F-7-B0-E6643

After the Airfix Jag now this I feel like making something that slots together easily next! What’s the new Airfix Chipmunk like?! 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Lord Riot said:

After the Airfix Jag now this I feel like making something that slots together easily next! What’s the new Airfix Chipmunk like?! 

Anything recent by Tamiya (Phantom, Tomcat etc) and you’ve got some top-tier box shaking going on! 

ATB

Ben

• Thanks 1