Using Flory Washes?

fishplanebeer

Just bought some of these washes after watching the video on the Flory web site and now eager to use them but have a few questions first to avoid mucking things up:

1. Can/should you varnish over the wash?

2. Do you apply oil paint weathering before or after the wash?

3. What is the best application for the Light wash?

I've asked the same questions to Flory's via their web contact facility but unfortunately heard nothing back and they don't seem to have a phone number to call.

Regards

Colin.

I use them on all my aircraft but don't use the light wash so can't answer 3. I generally airbrush acrylics (Vallejo, Mig and Tamiya).

19 minutes ago, fishplanebeer said:

1. Can/should you varnish over the wash?

Yes - I usually do as the washes are best done on a gloss coat (in my case Future mostly) and I like a matt finish at the end. If I use them on a NMF I don't tend to and just leave as is.

21 minutes ago, fishplanebeer said:

2. Do you apply oil paint weathering before or after the wash?

I usually do the wash right at the end and do any oil filters etc before with a gloss coat over them. If you were doing specific weathering you might want to do it afterwards but remember the wash is early removed by water and presumably most thinners.

• Thanks 1

As a former Flory forum member take this as gospel -

1. yes

2. probably best after

3. use it on dark colours for very light panel lining.  I mixed it 50/50 with dark dirt for a Pacific Theatre weathered look to my 1/48 F4u-1d Corsair.

Go watch some of his videos on youtube for further info/advice.

Edited by RobL
  • Thanks 1

Many thanks for the great advice, I did watch the video on how to use the washes and also the one about using oils but these particular points didn't seem to be covered by them.

The aircraft I'm using them on is a Do217E with RLM72 & 73 dark green uppers and black undersurfaces so I now plan to use yellow and white oils for the greens and possibly grey oils for the undersurfaces. The washes will then be Dark Dirt and Grime for the uppers and possibly Light and Grime for the under surfaces.

Thanks again for this valuable advice.

Regards

Colin.