Puma 50th commemorative scheme up close

On 29 January 1971, the first of an initial order of 40 Royal Air Force Puma helicopters were delivered into service. To commemorate an incredible 50 years of front line service, Puma HC.2 XW224 of the Benson Puma Wing XW224, has been given a unique new paint scheme.  The aircraft scheme is based on that which the first Puma HC. 1 aircraft were finished in in when they were delivered in 1971 but with several notable differences:

-        the engine housing features the badges of all the squadrons that have flown the Puma, both as a HC.1 and a HC.2 (18, 22, 27, 28, 33, 72, 230 Sqns, 240 OCU, 1563 Flt).

-        the tail fin is emblazoned with the union flag; and,

-        the standard Royal Air Force logo on the cabin door has been replaced with the bespoke Puma 50 logo.

Hope these are of interest or help to anyone looking to model this scheme.  A big thank you to Wg Cdr Eklund for supplying me with the images.

img

img

img

img

img%5D

img

XW224 Puma HC2 Badges

img

img

img

img

Thanks for looking!

Mark

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Lovely scheme, and nice to see the HC2 still going strong.  I was surprised to see a 22 Sqn badge, but then realised that RWOETU has been re-titled.  Given 22 Sqn was my first RW unit, my last RAF platform-related role dealt with Puma, with Odiham and Benson featuring somehere in between, it sort of seemed fitting.  The Puma 40th celebration was a hell of a party, but I suspect the 50th was a bit more muted with Covid? 

Regards

Tim

2 hours ago, Evalman said:

That's a very nice anniversary scheme, tastefully done.

I'm hoping it ventures a bit further SW than it has so far. 

Thanks for sharing. 

Thanks Evalman.  It is a very nice scheme but I fear it will not get much exposure this year to the public due to the paucity of air events and the like while the pandemic continues.