What is the premier Hawker Typhoon kit?

Maginot

Both the Revell and the MDC Typhoon's build up to fine looking models, the former is a lot easier to build than the later which is a challenging kit to build.

The Revell kit benefits from some of the resin detail parts available from MDC as well.

I do have both of the Airfix kits but have not built either (yet).

As mentioned above SH are supposed to be bringing one out in 1/32 scale as well, so I will have to get one as well

Still on the Hawker theme I have just finished a PCM Hawker Tempest and that also is a very impressive but difficult build, and I also have the SH Tempest which is reputed to be a lot easier than the PCM version.

Below is my MDC Typhoon

spacer.png

And below the Revell and MDC builds

spacer.png

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 4

Maginot, I too am recently retired and share some of the same sentiments! I am not exactly made of money, but at this point a little extra cash for a more accurate or easier to build kit can be easier to find, than the time required to upgrade on old one.

If 1/48 is your preference, the Hasegawa kits of the Typhoon will not disappoint, they are very nice. They made several variants including car-door and bubble top ones. I believe all their kits used the original small tailplane, but Eduard's recent re-boxings add the Tempest tailplane and 4-blade prop.

As far as printed reference material, anything with Chris Thomas's name on it is pretty much gold! His "Warpaint" on the Typhoon is a great all-round modeller's reference, he's done several titles for Osprey, Classic's "2nd Tactical Air Force" series, and much, much more. Just searching for his posts here is an education.

Edited by MDriskill

13 hours ago, 72modeler said:

you just can't beat a car door Tiffy for handsomeness!

True dat, which is why I ask:

On 7/20/2021 at 6:37 AM, MDriskill said:

the old Revell 1/32 kit as a good choice. Vastly cheaper and easier to build than the very complex Airfix kit, also is the "car door" version, and I reckon is accurate enough for viewing from a bit of distance.

I bought the Revell kit ages ago, when it was on sale at Toys R Us for something like $7, and was very impressed when I opened the box. That said, it still looks impressive all these years later, remaining completely untouched by glue or paint! You say it's "accurate enough" - are there specific errors, or is it just the early-'70s level of detail that is in question?

John

John, I confess I've never owned or built the Revell 1/32 car-door kit! 😬My comment is based on the models I've seen at contests or online over the years, which create a good impression (c.f. "spitfire's" build above!).

No doubt the true experts could list plenty of shortcomings. But surely it would be a fine ceiling hanger, and could be built in a fraction of the time of the fiercely complex Airfix 1/24 magnum opus.

Edited by MDriskill

1 hour ago, MDriskill said:

John, I confess I've never owned or built the Revell 1/32 car-door kit! 😬My comment is based on the models I've seen at contests or online over the years, which create a good impression (c.f. "spitfire's" build above!).

No doubt the true experts could list plenty of shortcomings. But surely it would be a fine ceiling hanger, and could be built in a fraction of the time of the fiercely complex Airfix 1/24 magnum opus.

Thanks, Mike - maybe I'll pull it out and have a more critical look at it. Heaven knows, as big as it is, it shouldn't be hard to find among all the little 1/72 stuff, even in my stash-nightmare... :whistle:

John