IBG Models 1/72 RWD-8

This is easily one of the most enjoyable builds I've done in recent years. This kit has wonderful detail, it's simple, nice decals, great shapes. Nothing about this model gave me trouble. If I had one wish, it'd been that I'd thought ahead to set the tail surfaces drooping a bit. However, I only thought of it once I'd glued them on and was afraid to break them. I thought about doing some sort of wash, but honestly I really like the look of this as if it's pristine.

RWD-8-04.jpg

RWD-8-01.jpg

RWD-8-02.jpg

RWD-8-03.jpg

Edited by Dawsonsauce
added extra text
  • Like 30

Lovely model in a very attractive livery!

I'm a bit puzzled by the layout of the wing movable surfaces. This thingie that looks like a one-sided flap on the stbd wing – is that some sort of aileron trim, or what?

This photo seems to show an operating lever of sorts, aft of the opening for the aileron cables. I googled without becoming any wiser (not for the first time…).

1024px-Wanda_Modlibowska_i_Ewa_Korczy%C5

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Like 1

Very nice result!

4 hours ago, Spitfire31 said:

I'm a bit puzzled by the layout of the wing movable surfaces. This thingie that looks like a one-sided flap on the stbd wing – is that some sort of aileron trim, or what?

This photo seems to show an operating lever of sorts, aft of the opening for the aileron cables. I googled without becoming any wiser (not for the first time…).

This is a movable part for more tight folding of wings for transport/storage of RWD-8. On right wing this element which looks like a flap was moved up, and this enabled very tight folding:

https://scontent-waw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.6435-9/81688021_2413594392085410_410418764044042240_n.jpg?_nc_cat=107&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=cdbe9c&_nc_ohc=JR930FoZPt8AX-1Aev_&_nc_ht=scontent-waw1-1.xx&oh=6f2159c883b5831b75a0b11f26667fee&oe=60F9C939

Regards

J-W

• Like 4

P.S>

Two more drawings:

http://www.samolotypolskie.pl/samoloty/2571/126/RWD-82

https://www.mojehobby.pl/products/RWD-8-Samolot-szkolno-lacznikowy.html#gallery_start

BTW - the two person on the photo below are Polish pilot ladies pioneers - 

Wanda Modlibowska (right) and Ewa Korczyńska (left) 

1024px-Wanda_Modlibowska_i_Ewa_Korczy%C5

Regards

J-W

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Spitfire31 said:

Many thanks to JWM and GrzeM for your explanations of the clever wing folding "flap"!

Kind regards,

Joachim

BTW, Barracuda had similar feature (but a bit more complex):

spacer.png