Special Hobby 1/32nd Whirlwind fighter

The Whirlwind is probably my favourite aircraft so I was more than pleased when Special Hobby announced they were going to do one (which seems ages ago now), but it finally arrived a month or so ago.

Not one of the easiest builds I've done recently mainly due to the somewhat vague instructions in places and lack of  locating pins etc. No real problem as such but I found I needed to test fit a lot of the parts more than normal.

The cockpit tho' (despite the lack of seatbelts) is very nice indeed and although you only get decals for the main instrument panel it's most convincing. I sourced some generic Sutton Harness seatbelts from Eduard.

The undercarrige is also nicely detailed and that all goes together quite easily. I used some of the CMK resin wheels just to be different. You will also be able to get resin cannon barrels too which will be nice as the kit ones have a nasty seam down them which is awkward to remove. As mine are only tacked in I'll probably replace those too at some stage.

Surface detail is very nice particularly the representation of the fuel tanks on the top of the wings. The rest consists of varying depths of engraved detail and tiny rivets.

The most complicated parts I found was the all radiator structure and associated grills etc. This was simply because they're quite extensive. Just don't get the parts mixed up.... It's worth the effort tho'. I think the exhausts have been simplified somewhat too. They really need drilling out in this scale.

Because my dad was based at RAF Colerne just after the war I was always determined to build a 263 Squadron aircraft. In fact all the options in the kit are for 263 but two in brown and green and two in grey and green. The decals are first rate too.

l also decided to use RAF Mixed Grey instead of the recommended Ocean Grey which apparently was in short supply at the time. Whether this particular aircraft was finished in it, we'll probably never know.

So, all in all it comes highly recommended form me and I look forward to building another one in 137 squadron markings using what I'm sure will be loads of aftermarket parts. (not that it really needs that many to be honest.)

Thanks for looking. Oh, and the wheel thats' out of true just clips back in ( I've only just noticed it)

51320494404_cd9919b1fc_b.jpgWW1

51319976848_318648ae14_b.jpgWW2 

51320494054_2b95077e4a_b.jpgWW3 

51319976483_2a5d4bdd90_b.jpgWW4 

51319033717_082aa9b304_b.jpgWW5 

• Like 35
  • Thanks 2

Well done Keith, a very good paint job on the model.  It was always a very impressive looking aeroplane, it is a real shame Westland did not keep theirs, it would have  been so good to have one on the warbird circuit.

I had to take a look at this, because (even though 1/32 is not my scale) I find the Whirlwind beautiful to look at.

You have done a fantastic job; particularly as Special Hobby are not like Tamiya, etc.

Because this one does not just "fall together", it shows you have great skill and commitment.

:goodjob: 

Great build of one of my favourites, I've waited for years for a 1/32 scale Whirlwind and now have one in the stash, I hope it turns out as nice as yours.

Cheers

Dennis