1/72nd AZ Model DH Hornet FR.4,.... 45 Sqn, `Op. Firedog', Malaya, 1954

Hiya Folks,

The Hornet is arguably one of the most beautiful post war piston engined fighters,..... (from some views maybe?),...... and it has always been popular with modellers,..... so when the AZ Models kits were released I had to get one.   It builds up well but personally I felt it was let down by the spinners, which didn`t fit the cowling contours in my kit,.... and the propellers which seem to be too thin and the wrong shape! I believe that Alistair at Aerocraft does a great set,......see links below,.... but I wasn`t aware of it when I built this kit,......although I might be investing in one for the 2nd kit!

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/aerocraft-models-acm-72014-dh-hornet-nacelles--1330990

https://aerocraftmodels.bigcartel.com/category/1-72nd

I have been building up a collection of models for 45 Sqn and so I decided to finish my model in the markings of this unit,....... my WIP can be seen below;;

Here is the real aeroplane that I tried to replicate;

51199201959-6515b03e90-b.jpg

And here is the model;

DSCF1696-NEW.jpg

DSCF1698-NEW.jpg

DSCF1697-NEW.jpg

DSCF1695-NEW.jpg

DSCF1699-NEW.jpg

DSCF1709-NEW.jpg

DSCF1712-NEW.jpg

DSCF1708-NEW.jpg

DSCF1717-NEW.jpg

DSCF1718-NEW.jpg

DSCF1720-NEW.jpg

DSCF1722-NEW.jpg

The Hornet replaced the Bristol Brigand with 45 Sqn and here is my Hornet compared with a Brigand which I have recently built too;

DSCF1701-NEW.jpg

And all three of 45 Sqn`s pistoned engined types during Op Firedog,.... Beaufighter, Brigand and Hornet,..... the unit did also fly Mosquito T.III`s and a Buckmaster in the training role too. 

DSCF1705-NEW.jpg

Cheers

Tony 

• Like 61
  • Thanks 2

Definitely a looker, like the female version of the Mosquito. 

I read years ago in Aeroplane magazine probably that the position of frames in the cockpit canopy were such that they were in the pilot's blind spots so in effect he had an unobstructed view forward. Not sure if that's true but it sounds good. 

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, noelh said:

I read years ago in Aeroplane magazine probably that the position of frames in the cockpit canopy were such that they were in the pilot's blind spots so in effect he had an unobstructed view forward. Not sure if that's true but it sounds good. 

The nose and cockpit looks very Vampire-esque to me,..... DH were well known for altering components to fit different designs after all. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, noelh said:

IMG_20210718_203242_452

Hi noelh,

The article in Aeroplane was nearly right.... The Hornet windscreen was effectively "frameless" between the three pieces of armoured glass.

This is shown in the photo. The A-frame is a fairly light gauge steel piece that holds the rear edges of the glass together. At its top is a casting that caps the glass. Each pane of glass meets along its edge. The only thing between them is a 6mm steel tie rod, that has about 10mm of black sealant surrounding it. As such, there is no front frame.

The pilot would get the impression that they have a clear unobstructed view ahead, but in reality they still have blind spots where the glass panes join.

Edited by David A Collins
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

So, this is why on the outside of all Hornet windscreens you will see the front diagonal "frames" in black. In reality, its a line of black sealant covering a steel tie rod.

IMG_20210718_203359_415~2

Edited by David A Collins
  • Like 3

35 minutes ago, ForestFan said:

Another wonderful build, despite the apparent issues, looks fabulous! Look how small she is compared to 5hat beastie Brigand!

Thanks mate. ..... the Brigand was a beast wasn`t it! 

27 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Great job on this Tony and it looks great from here, the 45 Sqdn trio look absolutely splendid together. 

Great work fella 

Chris

Thanks Chris,...... When I finish the Buckmaster I might photograph all of my 45 Sqn models together,..... from Mossie, through my clutch of Beaufighters to Brigand and Buckmaster to the Hornet? I might do a 45 Sqn Vampire too? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tonyot said:

Thanks Chris,...... When I finish the Buckmaster I might photograph all of my 45 Sqn models together,..... from Mossie, through my clutch of Beaufighters to Brigand and Buckmaster to the Hornet? I might do a 45 Sqn Vampire too? 

That will be good to see Tony ,the Vampire too.  That will be an impressive collection fella.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Natter said:

Have you ever turned out a bad model?  Maybe so, but this one isn't it. Another lovely build.

Thanks Dave,..... glad you like it,.... just wish my eyes were good enough to do those spinner stripes,.... but I`m struggling these days. I even bought a tiny brush too. 

6 hours ago, tonyot said:

just wish my eyes were good enough to do those spinner stripes,.... but I`m struggling these days.

Cheap reading glasses, the type you get in discount stores, 1.5 to 3.0 strength. I can't model without them.

• Like 1

Tony,

That's a wonderful finish of a beautiful aircraft - awesome work mate,

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 1

Nice job as usual Tony. I think it's a pity that they didn't get the spinners/props quite right (unless it's the nacelles that aren't quite right?), the amount of info and supposed research manufacturers do these days should make things like this get picked up easily.

:goodjob:

Davey.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, David A Collins said:

Hi tonyot,

There's three well built kits! 👍

Thanks David,.... glad you like them, cheers.

11 hours ago, Natter said:

Cheap reading glasses, the type you get in discount stores, 1.5 to 3.0 strength. I can't model without them.

I wish it were that easy,.... I`m long sighted in one eye and short sighted in the other!! I`ve gone beyond off the shelf reading glasses unfortunately.

10 hours ago, Dunny said:

Tony,

That's a wonderful finish of a beautiful aircraft - awesome work mate,

Cheers,

Roger

Thanks Roger,...... that is very kind of you mate, cheers..... a beautiful eroplane indeed. 

9 hours ago, F-32 said:

Great build of a beautiful aircraft and a lovely collection

Thanks mate....... yeah a beautiful aeroplane indeed and glad you like the models.

8 hours ago, TonyOD said:

Great build, and a stunning trio!

Thanks Tony,.... glad you like them mate. 

1 hour ago, DaveyGair said:

Nice job as usual Tony. I think it's a pity that they didn't get the spinners/props quite right (unless it's the nacelles that aren't quite right?), the amount of info and supposed research manufacturers do these days should make things like this get picked up easily.

:goodjob:

Davey.

Thanks Davey,.... yeah they got something wrong I think,..... I`ll be trying out Ali`s set for the next one anyway! I`ve seen some of the research that goes on mate,..... it would make you weep at times,..... but mot seem to get in the ballpart somewhere thankfully.

Cheers

Tony

1 hour ago, binbrook87 said:

Great builds from a great era of British aviation. I do love a DH Hornet....totally agree one of the most beautiful piston aircraft of all time. That Brigand is a beast though isn't it?!! Blimey 😮

Thanks mate,...... yeah a beautiful aeroplane,..... and yes the Brigand is a beast,.... wait until you see the Buckmaster! 

1 hour ago, Mig88 said:

Another wonderful build. Very nice! :goodjob:

Miguel

Thanks Miguel,. glad you like it, cheers. 

I'd certainly call the model beautiful, Sir.

Not so sure about the aeroplane. There's something striking about those short-snout types, and striking can certainly be attractive --- but it ain't often beautiful.

• Like 1