Fw190D-9 'white 11'

Hi all

This is yet another Hobbyboss D-9, finished in the colours of W.Nr 213097 'white 11', a JG51 aircraft which was photographed at Flensburg towards the end of the war.  Notable mainly for its un-painted gun covers on both fuselage top and wings.  As I understand it, 213097 was from one of the last production blocks, supposedly built in March 45.  It's not immediately obvious why these covers were either stripped or left unpainted - 'unfinished' replacement parts is a possibility, or maybe it was for ID purposes - who knows - it certainly wouldn't have helped ground concealment ;) - but at least it makes for an interesting topic.  Painted with Vallejo and Mig 'late-war green' RLM colours, paint masks for the markings and decals (nicked from the Eduard 'D-9 late' profipack) for the WNr and octane triangles.

s1HK7R8.jpg

Z4fRzI2.jpg

uB9GgWK.jpg

RFskDfv.jpg

g1UcOXw.jpg

YY89B9D.jpg

gI4Ehle.jpg

4b86sF9.jpg

vM3l4iJ.jpg

FBPY8LV.jpg

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

Excellent - superb paint finish. 

The panels may possibly have been delivered like that, before final assembly of the aircraft. At this stage of the war many airframe components, produced in dispersed locations, were left unpainted to save time, especially wing and tailplane undersurfaces. 

• Like 1

Very nice model. Especially when you look at the blown canopy, which is so much better than Eduard`s.

You painted the underside completely in RLM76. Is there evidence for that? I would have guessed that the last production batches had partially unpainted undersides.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, IanC said:

Excellent - superb paint finish. 

The panels may possibly have been delivered like that, before final assembly of the aircraft. At this stage of the war many airframe components, produced in dispersed locations, were left unpainted to save time, especially wing and tailplane undersurfaces. 

Thanks Ian :) As you say, it might just have been expediency on behalf of the subcontractor, although there doesn't seem to be evidence of any other a/c in that particular production block with similarly-finished (ie unfinished) covers.  That's not to say there weren't any though..

4 hours ago, VolkerR. said:

Very nice model. Especially when you look at the blown canopy, which is so much better than Eduard`s.

You painted the underside completely in RLM76. Is there evidence for that? I would have guessed that the last production batches had partially unpainted undersides.

Thanks Volker.  The undersides are my mistake.  For most of the build I was labouring under the misapprehension that 213097 was from an early production block (low number and all that), but it turns out 213xxx was probably the last block completed - I was well into the painting before I realised that, so decided to stay with it.  I was looking at doing Dortenmann's 190D at around the same time I started this, which is from the 210xxx block, which was one of the very first blocks off the line - so I just assumed (without checking) that 213 was also an early block.  However, one of the colour callouts I looked at did suggest full 76 undersides, but it's probably more likely that there was some bare metal panels underneath.  If I was doing 'white 11' again, I would probably go for some unpainted sections under the wings.  

• Like 1