Old model, first photos...F-16A from 1988

This Monogram model of the General Dynamics F-16A Fighting Falcon was built in 1988.  It was the third model I finished after returning to this hobby in 1987.  By this time, I had slowing gathered some modeling supplies and a little knowledge mostly through reading FinescaleModeler magazine among a few others.   I recall having to make a pitot for the nose of this model back then, and tried to duplicate a photo from some magazine in those pre-internet days.   The kit featured an operative canopy but a pretty sparse load out.  I used kit decals (and see at least one that's upside down 😉-no surprise from a newbie!) and painted it with either Humbrol or ModelMaster enamels sprayed through the Paasche H.  

It has sat in my display cabinet for all the years since and had never been photographed until I took my recently finished Tigercat out to the Cameron Municipal Airport for a photo session.  I decided to take the old F-16 out there and see how she looks in that setting.   Before I could even get it out of my truck, I reached across the seat for something and snapped that pitot clean off.   I did have a modeling first aid kit with me and found the pitot and the small sensor-piece too.  I managed to finally get the pitot back together and glued back on but now it's developed a bad case of droop.  Oh well, it was too bloody hot out there to putz around with it too much so I left it as is for the pics.    I've often thought of this model as a "place holder" in my collection until I built a newer, nicer F-16.   I still hope to do that some day but until then, squint those eyes my friends and please have a look at an old four-footer from 1988.    

overhead_2_better(1).JPG

port_from_front_close(1).JPG

SB_full_w_tanks_good(1).JPG

front_view(1).JPG

SB_from_rear_better(1).JPG

port_from_front_good_2(1).JPG

post_closer(1).JPG

SB_bright_sun_full_good(1).JPG

SB_from_front_angled_w_windsock(1).JPG

port_front_closeup_good(1).JPG

rear_close_good(1).JPG

• Like 22

For a 33 year old model you have done well to keep her looking so good, a good bench mark to see how much you have improved, and judging by your recent Tigercat  I’d say you are now modelling at a very high standard, good job!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Farmerboy said:

For a 33 year old model you have done well to keep her looking so good, a good bench mark to see how much you have improved, and judging by your recent Tigercat  I’d say you are now modelling at a very high standard, good job!

Agree ... totally!

• Thanks 1

This looks wonderful Gary, it's still in this fab condition which is amazing really, greatcwork on this old model and the on location photos really do add another dimension. Great work fella now get on with one of your Travelairs 😉

Chris

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Jackson Duvalier said:

It never ceases to amaze me how natural sunlight makes models look more like the real thing.

An excellent placeholder, Gary.  I had fun playing "spot the upside-down decal."  😄

Thanks Jackson!   That wasn't too tough was it? 😄

8 hours ago, Farmerboy said:

Thanks for those kind words Peter!  I do appreciate that. 🍻

8 hours ago, SAT69 said:

Agree ... totally!

Thanks my friend! 

8 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

This looks wonderful Gary, it's still in this fab condition which is amazing really, greatcwork on this old model and the on location photos really do add another dimension. Great work fella now get on with one of your Travelairs 😉

Chris

Many thanks Chris!    Ah yes, those Travelairs!    You've set a high standard indeed with your beauty! 🍺

4 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Nice one Gary, it has stood the test if time very well. 👍

Steve.

Thanks so much Steve!   I think she did photograph well at the airport; shame about the droopy pitot though, but it happens to us all eventually😉

Thanks also to all who've taken time to "like" this old model.    I do appreciate that kind gesture too! 😀

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Tojo72 said:

Nice Gary,I like when models are photographed in realistic settings.

Thank you Tony!   There's no doubt that it really makes the models look better, and that natural light is hard to beat as well.  Thanks for commenting my friend! 🍻

Huh, a Monogram! Pretty model Gary, so clean - that's how mine looked in the eighties, too. I've stepped back a bit recently from heavy panel washes. The build should speak for itself, and your Falcon tells a nice story about modelling fads* in the course of time.

* never knew or used that word before...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Toryu said:

Huh, a Monogram! Pretty model Gary, so clean - that's how mine looked in the eighties, too. I've stepped back a bit recently from heavy panel washes. The build should speak for itself, and your Falcon tells a nice story about modelling fads* in the course of time.

* never knew or used that word before...

Hey Michael!   Thanks for the comments my friend.  🍻  Yeah, when that model was built, I had never even heard of panel washes.   The few lines on this one that are accentuated were all done several years post-completion...when that little bit of modeling knowledge I had acquired began to creep into my construction.    See, it is true that a little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing! 😉    

• Like 1