If you could only keep ten kits...

TonyOD

This got me thinking. Not only "which are the top 10?" but "why am I not building from the top 10?". Most of my builds are 1/24 cars and the top 10 unbuilt in the stash (in no particular order except #1)

Tamiya Lexus LFA

Tamiya Mazda 787B

Tamiya Ford Focus WRC 2001

Gunze-Sangyo Porsche 959 Paris-Dakar.

Aoshima Mazda RX-7 FD3S RE Amemiya

Tamiya Kenwood Porsche 956

Tamiya JGTC Raybrig NSX 1998

Revell Corvette Z06

Tamiya Ferrari Enzo

Fujimi McLaren MP4-12C

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, galaxyg said:

"why am I not building from the top 10?"

That is a very valid question. I reckon if I do my top ten back to back to the best of my ability at my current completion rate I'm looking at three years of modelling 😁

• Like 1

Given that these are going to be the last ten kits I'll ever build, I'll go for the more complex kits to get the most out of it.

Airfix 1/72 B-17G

Airfix 1/72 Lancaster B.II

Airfix 1/72 Victor B.2

Airfix 1/72 Victor K.2

Airfix 1/72 Valiant B.1

Airfix 1/72 Nimrod

Academy 1/72 KC-97L

Academy 1/72 KB-29P

Academy 1/72 B-24M

Hasegawa 1/32 Fw 190D-9

That should keep me occupied for a while.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, lasermonkey said:

Given that these are going to be the last ten kits I'll ever build, I'll go for the more complex kits to get the most out of it.

Yep.  Also means I  have a finite amount of space to find to display them.  So that means the big ones that one day will get culled by reality.... 

Because I'm already sorted. These I have stashed.  :headbang:  

1. Airfix 1/24th Hurricane - corrected,(big job) possibly stripped of fabric.   

2. 1/48 FM Halifax III.... years of 'fun' doing that...   liked the Halifax since I did the Airfix kit as child.

3. 1/48 Monogram B-26 high tech or whatever,  the one with resin, with Eduard Big ED set. Never did the finish the one I started in 1981, but always liked it since i did the Airfix one as child. 

4. 1/48 MPM He-177 hi-tech, with a boot load of AM, Master guns, Eduard PE, wooden wing spar and maybe more.... bought as a package on evilbay as it seemed a good idea at the price....  I added up what it would all cost, came up with a considerably lower figure and the auction sniper did the rest.  Was a few years before kits started getting pricey because of increased demand. 

Again, liked it since I did the Airfix kit as child, and I really like the IIRC KG40 ones in the Atlantic 'cloud' scheme.

5. 1/48 PZL -23 Karas, with what seems like a telephone directory of etch, aright, it IIRC 6 sheets of Part etch,  with about 7000 tiny parts.  I was always fascinated by the PZL-23 since I had the a set of Aircraft in Profile as a bound book as child.

6.  1/48 Monogram B-17,  plus all the stuff that came with it from a sale on here,  which is TD resin, Eduard Etch and Paragon bits and more,  probably as one of the 3 Israeli ones as I have the decals, and the book and one had these amazing 4 tone upper scheme...    

7.  1/48 Eduard rebox of the Zvezda Pe-2, plus all the extra stuff I got as a package deal on ebay. with a Zvedza Pe-2.  Again, liked it since I did the Airfix kit as child.

8. Monogram B-24 J - been in the stash since 1981,  bought most of the Eduard etch sets half price a few years ago, and today co-incidentally,  just got a Koster 'nose job' set which fixes the turret problems.  liked it since I did the Airfix kit as child.

9. 1/48 Aeroclub Canberra B.2/B.I.6, as it's the most impressive multimedia kit I have seen, with injection, resin, white metal and some of the most impressive vacfomed parts I have ever seen as the main airframe.

10. one of the forthcoming 1/48th Arma Hobby Hurricanes,  probably as Soviet rearmed plane... though that might be too easy....  maybe the old Monogram kit backdated to the early prototype with the straighter wing (which the kit has)  but then almost a total rebuild....

I'd maybe swap out some of the above for the 1/24th Airfix Typhoon,  done as a diorama with the 1/24th Hasegawa jeep, with figures from the 1/24 Airfix Mosquito........ which I already have in the stash....  along with some 1/25 British infantry passing, from the Tamiya Centurion, which I don't have.  yet.

Or, alternately, the Trumpeter 1/24 Hurricane IIC, made into a SEAC Mk.IV

I live in a small house.  I already have a lots in it.   Sadly much of the above is unlikely to happen, though the above don't take up much room unbuilt...

@TonyOD, very thought provoking topic.   

cheers

• Like 2

I think a list like this could be vastly different if say, asked a year down the line. My modelling is more often than not fuelled by so many fads, whims and distractions by shiny things that my stash is ever changing. However, if asked right this minute I would go for the following;

1: Trumpeter 1/24 Junkers Ju 87A. It's big, it's an Anton and who'd have thought it! Begging to be built.

2: HKM 1/48 B-17G. Because I've bought enough aftermarket to sink a boat, but it's also a special project for me.

3: Dragon 1/32 Messerschmitt Bf 110C. Gorgeous kit and one I intend to build as the A/C that crash landed on my mate's Dad's farm in 1940.

4: Trumpeter 1/24 Hurricane. Lovely kit that fortunately came from their "A Team". Hope to build as a Geoffrey Page tribute.

5: Aeroclub 1/72 Vickers Varsity. Lovely kit and I will build a vacuform model if it kills me.

7: Airfix 1/72 B-17G. This one is earmarked as Sally B circa 1983. The subject I wanted to build most as a 13 year old.

8: Tamiya 1/32 Spitfire XVIe. This one will be TD248 as she was when I helped out on her in the early/mid 90s when owned by Eddie Coventry.

9: XS Models 1/32 Yak 11. To be G-OYAK for the same reasons as above.

10: Matchbox 1/72 AW Siskin. My favourite nostalgia build of my favourite bi-plane kit from Matchbox. Nuff said.

@TonyOD I had the same problem with Heller. I LOVE all of their kits. I couldn't just pick one or two, so went for other choices if I couldn't pick every Heller kit ever.

Crikey, looking at that list, there's probably enough work there to exceed my life expectancy anyway!

Steve

• Like 1

Very tough choice, I have tried to do this several times in the past and usually get lost in my thoughts.  Surprised there is no real space subjects as this is a main subject in my collection, anyway a bit of a mix of subjects

1) 1/24 AMT Payhauler 

2) 1/25 Revell Electronic Gravel Hauler

3) 1/32 Hobbyboss M1070 HET with ton of aftermarket

4) 1/35 Takom V-2 & SS-100 Transporter

5) 1/72 Hobbyboss Dora

6) 1/144 Moebius Discovery

7) 1/12 Tamiya Lotus 72D (to be replaced with 1/8 Pocher kit when it arrives)

😎 1/72 Bandai Perfect Grade Millennium Falcon

9) 1/12 Tamiya Tyrrell P-34

10) 1/35 Tamiya Famo tank transporter

• Like 1

HK Models 1/32 Lancaster

Hobbyboss 1/32 B-24J

Hobbyboss 1/32 B-24D

Tamiya 1/350 USS Enterprise

Trumpeter 1/350 USS Nimitz

HK Models 1/32 Lancaster (to be converted to B.II)

Tamiya 1/32 F-15E

Revell 1/32 Tornado GR.1

HK Models 1/32 Mosquito B.IX

Tamiya 1/32 Mosquito FB.VI

Below is the entirety of my stash, so this is quite easy -

The 10 I'd keep -

1/35 Academy UH-1C with resin/brass M134 Barrels + eduard pe weapons set

1/48 Italeri MH-60K Blackhawk SOA + Werners Wings 160th SOAR decals + Armycast M143's

1/48 Italeri MH-60G Pavehawk - + Werners Wings "Pedro" decals
1/72 Airfix HH-53C Super Jolly Green Giant + decals for Knife 21
1/72 Revell HH-3E
1/144 GWH Avro Vulcan + 2 sets of decals (camo and anti-flash white).
1/72 Italeri A-10A Warthog + master brass gun barrel + paint masks
1/72 Fujimi F-86 Sabre
1/72 Dragon/Cyberhobby Sea King
1/32 Matchbox Porsche 917/10 + L&M decals

What I'd get rid of (the first 4 were the only difficult chioces) -

1/48 Airfix Spitfire (2019/2020 release)

1/72 Dragon/Cyberhobby GLoster Meteor F.3

1/72 Academy A-10A Warthog
1/72 Hobbyboss Corsair II
1/72 Misterkit Javelin + airfix firestreak missiles
1/72 KP MiG-23

1/32 Revell OH-6A Cayuse

1/48 Revell Huey + resin + parts for weapons

I have the following works in progress for which I'd also keep the kits for, if allowed...

1/35 Meng Mark V Male tank
1/350 AMT Klingon Bird of Prey - in it's box
1/72 X-Wing + 1/72 TIE + display bases + coastal kits display board x2
1/72 Blue Angels F18 - in it's box

I also have 2x 1/72 Hasegawa weapons sets do they count as a kit?

And I have the following in a "draw of doom", badly built/failed idea models that I haven't gotten around to chucking or robbing parts from yet, so I guess they'd get chucked in this exercise -

1/72 Academy F-14A
1/72 Eduard FW190A-5
1/48 Sea King x2
1/48 Revell Huey
1/72 Revell HH-3E

Edited by RobL
  • Like 1

These ten, mostly ones I wanted to build while drooling over catalogues in the 70's

1. Airfix HMS VICTORY 1:180
2. Meng Fokker Dr.I Triplane 1:32
3. Airfix Avro Vulcan B.2 1:72
4. Airfix Bedford QL Gun Portee 1:35
5. Airfix Heinkel He 177 Airfix 1:72
6. Airfix Vosper Motor Torpedo Boat 1:72
7. Airfix 1930 4.5 litre Bentley 1:12
8. Airfix Maserati Indy 1:32
9. Meng Messerschmitt Me-163B "Komet" Rocket-Powered Interceptor 1:32
10. Airfix One Small Step for Man... 50th Anniversary of Apollo 11 Moon Landing 1:72

• Like 1

I love this thread, so much to think about!

So here they are, all 1/48, in no particular order:

1. Eduard Mig 21 "Vietnam"

2. Eduard Bf110G-4 Profipack

3. MPM He177 HiTech

4. Academy F-4C Vietnam

5. Dragon Ju88G-6

6. Dragon Ju88A-4 with AIMS conversion set Ju388

7. Eduard P-51 Royal Ed.

8. Eduard FW190A-8 Royal Ed.

9. Revell B-17G

10. Eduard "Rise of the Bubbletops" (190D/Spitfire)

Three of my choices are Eduard "Dual Combos", if thats cheating, I leave one kit of each behind.

• Like 1

On 7/19/2021 at 11:26 AM, TonyOD said:

If you really boiled it down to one kit and one kit only from your stash, and that's it, you can never build another

Considering how long it's been since I actually finished anything, I think I've already reached that point... 

But in response to the original question:

Arma 1/72 Yak-1B, times 10!

John

• Like 1

This is difficult; I have a four-digit stash 🤪

However:

1/72 William Bros. C-46

1/72 Fly Bristol 170 Freighter

1/72 Valom VC.1 Viking

1/72 Heller DC-6B (to be sawed into a DC-6 sans suffixe)

1/72 Revell C-54

1/72 A Model Ilyushin Il-76

1/72 Italeri C-119 Boxcar

1/72 Academy C-97 Stratofreighter

1/72 Zvezda C-130 Hercules

1/72 Heller Boeing 707 (plus an AMT C-135 as parts source for an 707-135 conversion) good old crosskiting. It isn't cheating! only one model comes out of this... 😁

If I'm allowed eleven a 1/72 Roden An-12 is in the wings - or replacing the Revell C-54 which is an incredibly good kit but has very little visible cargo bay...

Most of them would be getting well-detailed cargo bays (the ones you can actually see something, helped by LEDs)

Having an Rareplanes C-97 it would be interesting to use its tail to do the Academy C-97 as one of the Israeli Air Force's swing-tail aircraft.

The Amonster Il-76 will be the build of the decade (for me) with its cavernous cargo bay including a traverse crane... The fuselage comes separated from the cockpit/nose which is done as a normal injection-moulded kit; the rest of the fuselage (including the tail fin) is a single part in a plastic NOT styrene! It includes resin parts, photoetch, vacuformed parts and God knows what else. On top of this I'm doing my own decals as a faux-Iraqi Airways flown by the Iraqi Air Force often on tours to Europe to fetch war materials of all descriptions.

If I'm going out - I'm going out with a (transport) bang.

Cheers, Moggy (oversize display cabinet owner)

Hmmmm......this may be tricky. My stash stands at a grand total of TWO (2) kits - Airfix 1/48 Lightning F6 and Canberra PR9 - both came from some auction site or other, because Airfix can't be bothered making them at the moment, and they were subjects I really wanted.

Looks like someone might have to do the honourable thing and lend me another 8 kits.

Anybody?

Q

This is an evil topic, given the size of my stash. I have all my unbuilt kits ranked from 1 to 10, primarily with a view to identifying anything that can be culled. There are currently 41 kits rated as 10, and to be honest there could be a lot more.

10 hours ago, Dr. Quack said:

Hmmmm......this may be tricky. My stash stands at a grand total of TWO (2) kits

Good skills! I thought I was doing well with only 7 (and 2 of those are old-ish vacforms).