USS Greeneville (Hobby Boss 1/350)

Hello,

This is my build of Hobby Boss 1/350 USS Greeneville. It's also my first submarine and maritime build since I returned to the hobby in 2014 (I'm mainly an aircraft guy).

It is a simple kit to build and comes with a few PE parts to improve the propellers. Most effort was spent trying to get a (hopefully) realistic weathering. This was obtained by a combination of different tones of gray on the black areas of the model, pre-shading, grey wash and staining along the waterline. The WIP thread can be found here.

Here are the pictures of the finished model. All comments are very much welcome.

y4mPTB02IPcqDg8jLTOLSAwvNp-BL2fOJBcueOn0

IMAG7429

y4mcs5QOPNWHVIB4if87kJB2hMCC-pXefxII6BKY

IMAG7430

y4meVCiuq3cOMmUXyMhU202rTbLC3oozLDj0aOq_

IMAG7431

y4mnaL000fEcOFLCkWhqkw2ZL6Rs0pTqoGuNWECs

IMAG7432

y4mWrZlqPJvueaUnmjiguKCBVlUNKMd9UvMkftH8

IMAG7433

y4m-AUe4M78oul7cTgRMcE_hGZ7-yA3kjHX8h13P

IMAG7434

y4mnOmVvVx10Qtpk85sWJiLO3vMXiYF7VSStf6D8

IMAG7435

y4mIrK-8OCFMONvD_eOxNZ5wNAvmUvsHMYlYOmo4

IMAG7436

y4m6mwTokIOIpGPX2rhRJnpmOjdnUC3HavXxgjqI

IMAG7437

y4m4qOyBznaGgHU7wVuBGURFk4TsVZP5FPoCNqxQ

IMAG7438

y4mXsp4_KBKnugVV-YcsT1GQVVL0Yy51NhrSFrqp

IMAG7439

y4mtM26vAVCJatRpuE-8JV5r-CFY2kht7_MeW1D1

IMAG7440

y4m2_ezC_z_IzeUwhtnJ5-kuKADqkVDEkXymC6Oo

IMAG7441

y4mk4e6W7gcVBwmsCxXbSGIxDJAsRcXj4fvHf7pJ

IMAG7442

y4mg4dg_f3xzEEOl0J32Wwg_rq403IIRLsB2alXY

IMAG7443

y4mxEyvM-Tzfv-wOkZ5YcuOyqHOL3we4V6amQ1bR

IMAG7444

y4m9KftMf3ROCHxSZl_FLs7EwFI8Wxn_sOhBjGq4

IMAG7445

y4mjg1fFlWO2QepecZk5yeE2UoFYhcr_l1FzVvv9

IMAG7446

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 22

Jaime, this is a great build and I think you've nailed trying to mimic the real life photos in the wip.

A bit of an odd request here though, given we're all here to look at models and this is a good one, but can we have some closeups of that base please? I literally, not figuratively, literally cannot believe that isn't wood.

David

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Adm Lord De Univers said:

Jaime, this is a great build and I think you've nailed trying to mimic the real life photos in the wip.

Hi David, thank you very much for your interest and kind words. Much appreciated!

9 hours ago, Adm Lord De Univers said:

can we have some closeups of that base please?

I'll certainly post close up photos of the base. I'll do it tomorrow and let you know when the thread is updated.

Cheers

Jaime

On 18/07/2021 at 23:30, Adm Lord De Univers said:

can we have some closeups of that base please?

In reply to @Adm Lord De Univers request, here are some pictures of the base, showing the wood-like effect I tried to achieve:

y4mvDVQ7LqDyZW4M6n1dUT6-hz9ARhb_nh0swxSd

IMAG7454

y4m8i2csne-f5Q931UqHJxkIWBpNGGihUNtDytoe

IMAG7455

y4mUfu4jXFm7v2qUWnELHdMEq1VnMRnIolmLnZPY

IMAG7456

y4m05oPPmjG5_HulZcl1fJ1Zr2Yluh68PARkWM_o

IMAG7458

y4mRumpZ2-QiKcS2sV0qEYf1tlRrf-L2tv0BsLuT

IMAG7459

The base was primed with Alclad Black Primer and Microfiller. Next, the holders were painted Gunze Metal Color MC219 Brass, which provides a very good metal effect. After masking the holders, I painted the base with Gunze H84 Mahogany. This was gloss coated with Microgloss and the wood grain effect was done by spreading spots of AMMO MIG-3512 Oilbrusher Dark Brown along the length of the base using a flat brush. To seal both the base and holders, I applied a good coat of Alclad Gloss Kote.

Hope this is helpful.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Adm Lord De Univers said:

Very helpful Jaime (I've screenshot'd your instructions too - thank you). The effect is quite astonishing and hands down the best stand/base I've seen - you could've told me it was wood and I wouldn't have queried it.

Greeneville is still looking fantastic too!

David

Thanks David! Very kind and much appreciated!

On 7/20/2021 at 7:40 AM, Adm Lord De Univers said:

Very helpful Jaime (I've screenshot'd your instructions too - thank you). The effect is quite astonishing and hands down the best stand/base I've seen - you could've told me it was wood and I wouldn't have queried it.

Greeneville is still looking fantastic too!

David

I still think he's pulling our legs. That's the woodiest wooden base ever. 😉

Has the submarine had a puppy?

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

I still think he's pulling our legs. That's the woodiest wooden base ever. 😉

Has the submarine had a puppy?

I swear it's a plastic base. The WIP pictures don't lie :)

I believe the "puppy" is some kind of remote controlled mini-sub but I must admit I didn't look for information on it.

Cheers

Jaime

10 hours ago, jrlx said:

I believe the "puppy" is some kind of remote controlled mini-sub but I must admit I didn't look for information on it.

I couldn't resist a little research. I found the purpose of the mini-sub quite interesting. Wikipedia says...

The Advanced SEAL Delivery System (ASDS) was a midget submarine operated by the United States Navy and United States Special Operations Command. It provided stealthy submerged transportation for United States Navy SEALs from the decks of nuclear submarines for use as an insertion platform for covert and clandestine special operations missions. The ASDS was cancelled in 2009 due to cost overruns and reliability issues, after the prototype was destroyed in a fire in 2008. As of 2019, the Navy plans to replace the ASDS with the Dry Combat Submersible, a similar midget submarine being developed by Lockheed Martin.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

I couldn't resist a little research. I found the purpose of the mini-sub quite interesting. Wikipedia says...

.........As of 2019, the Navy plans to replace the ASDS with the Dry Combat Submersible, a similar midget submarine being developed by Lockheed Martin.

Whilst Lockheed Martin may be the prime contractor, the actual minisubs are built by MSubs here in the UK in Plymouth.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 19/08/2021 at 10:22, F-32 said:

Very cool build, I especially like the water line mark - nicely done

Thanks a lot! It's my first submarine, I wasn't sure about the weathering and tried to not overdue it.