Louis University airshow Romeoville Illinois 07/17/21

Hello everyone … I was able to get over to the Small local airshow today. My first in almost 4 years, it felt good after all the Pandemic lockdown. There wasn't much available as I couldn't get close to the AT-6, she and the Stearman were too busy flying passengers. I waited in line for over an hour but gave up on the B-24 when I realized I might tip the darn thing on its butt. Oddly enough there was no line for “FIFI” the B-29. So walked over and got right in.
          The Catalina was not open to general visitors just a few selected by the owner. So couldn't get anything up close and personal. The other planes were quite exposed and I was able to get up close and personal with undercarriage and other bits. Warning the colors have been shifted as it was quite overcast early on and all the photo’s were too dark. Going to tag @keefr22 and @John Laidlaw also. rObGLTi.jpg

45BSpAF.jpg

F7oWVqr.jpg

z8Nl6bY.jpg

Next up is a Piper cub thats from another local airport. I see him fly around quite often. 
c0SCgbG.jpg

zYmctZN.jpg

HTHIjgq.jpg

Personally the A&P training in me thinks the prop has seen better days. If it were mine I’d find a new one or a metal prop and paint it to look like wood. QdThtz9.jpg

jQ5V0Gk.jpg

“Diamond Lil” B-24A in RAF colors. She was a  lend-lease or purchase that was recalled into USAAF service after pearl harbor. Im guessing thats why shes painted up this way. wr0hWnX.jpg

HIQ5Pnh.jpg

V06yxsc.jpg

qFNtJOz.jpg

c4yxkGT.jpg

s60mgeI.jpg

Grtaozj.jpg

F9StoXv.jpg

MeQQvfa.jpg

1LpNLJU.jpg

8uVdF6L.jpg

MwmFPBz.jpg

vAMYMPX.jpg

Rl37zIh.jpg

yAvXLao.jpg

E8wjy2p.jpg

C8EZEVF.jpg

z2oHlD6.jpg

P8HCM1j.jpg

And now “FIFI” 

pZztJfp.jpg

One for Mike @72modelert9BHP0S.jpg

WJLIcON.jpg

9TQ17rL.jpg

PCWwdAG.jpg

PRYBzxP.jpg

RfzROI7.jpg

G5IOGNn.jpg

WGPEnTd.jpg

LN0cqlT.jpg

oHvfbpf.jpg

QNV1Cxd.jpg

Emergency egress for the crew being used for ventilation. I tried to photograph inside but its as dark as a blackhole. 4y4DmMm.jpg

Ive never seen these before in photo’s so asked the pilot what they were. lQvoIHP.jpg

Turns out they a resin blocks around the bolts to prevent corrosion. The bolts hold the inner/outer wings together. 

9Ciwvvf.jpg

1arSrKH.jpg

RMIvHxk.jpg

Too anyone building a B-29/50 there is only about 3/4” clearance between the main wheel and gear door. 

S86kFWY.jpg

NMcwmy4.jpg

xBLI5VS.jpg

That ⬆️ would never pass a model inspector at a show. But it was wrinkled as all heck.same plate on another nacelle. 

ouG0ib9.jpg

oKokEgK.jpg

1ouNYd0.jpg

D1bCTLf.jpg

My apologies as I tried to take photo’s of the bomb bay and forward interior but couldn't get them very good. 

ShxnUa4.jpg

Cockpit Starboard rear sorry but too cramped to get the whole area in the photo. EfqZxwz.jpg

Cockpit port rear same issue sorry. dCEeiUG.jpg

Cockpit forward. RVZE9HV.jpg

There was a crewman in the starboard seat answering questions. He took one look at me and said well you wouldn't be a tail gunner. Im 6’7” and weigh 32 stone. Last up was the Stearman as he was taxiing in for his last time. What you don't see is the ladder at my feet. Straight down with only about 20” inches clearance all around. 

yp8Jn6u.jpg

ecixJ06.jpg

uB9RJpE.jpg

8XtR8GM.jpg

I hope these are worth your time to visit. If I can answer any questions please feel free to ask, or leave comments. 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Great pics Dennis, many thanks for sharing! 

Difficult to believe people would rather see inside a B-24 rather than that magnificent B-29, but I guess they might have been inside Fifi before? 

Lovely Stearman - same paint scheme as the one my daughter bought my son in law a flight in. Or I should say on as it was a wing walking trip....!! 🤣

7 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

He took one look at me and said well you wouldn't be a tail gunner.

I would think that's the best news you had all weekend...!! :)

Keith

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, John Laidlaw said:

These are excellent, Dennis - I am planning a B-29 built as an RAF Washington, so the detail shots will be very useful!

I tried to get some areas not normally seen so went for landing gear and such. I just wished I had a real camera, mine is out as I cant find the batteries needed for it. So may need to buy a new one someday soon. 

• Thanks 1

On 7/18/2021 at 3:32 PM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I tried to get some areas not normally seen so went for landing gear and such. I just wished I had a real camera, mine is out as I cant find the batteries needed for it. So may need to buy a new one someday soon. 

Dennis- shoot me an email with what camera you need the battery for and what the battery number is- I think I can find one for you! 

Mike

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
4 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

@Julien would any of the B-29 photo’s be acceptable for the walk-around section ? I may have more I didn't post here as well and can check. 

Yes pls

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Julien said:

Up to you, either works thx

Hello Julien not many but still looking this is so far the only one of “FIFI” not up above.

gUodNCj.jpeg

The rest are of B-17G 2102516 “Aluminun Overcast” operated by the E.A.A. These were taken about 2 years prior to “FIFI’s” visit. 

rPnbg0R.jpeg

C49pou6.jpg

dPUxvDt.jpeg

1Eo8S04.jpeg

KZh9tfF.jpeg

Sadly these are the best of them as I was on the other side of a fence. I will keep looking for more. 

• Like 2