Matchbox/Revell Char B and Renault tank.

stevej60

Hi folk's this is probably the only 1/76 Matchbox armour kit in the series I have never built so what better

excuse to build it in this French GB.not got the kit as yet but there are loads on various sites but no hurry

to start as I've a few must finishes in various GB's.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/revell-03278-char-b1-bis-renault-ft17--1192777

• Like 6

1 hour ago, stevej60 said:

not got the kit as yet but there are loads on various sites

I got one off Amazon for £12.50 posted, which I think is a good price.

Did some hunting about,  found a great site, in French, on French tanks

the Char 1 bis schemes in the current Revell issue kit are,  

257 Borrasque

https://www.chars-francais.net/2015/index.php/14-classement-individuel/char-b/166-257-bourrasque

from what I have read, the hearts are blue.

VERDUN II    n° 452 

https://www.chars-francais.net/2015/index.php/14-classement-individuel/char-b/433-452-verdun-ii

note, in the coluir phto, it looks grey, but other photos clearly show a camo pattern , and if you at the colour pic again, you can see part of the pattern, and the 'grey' is shiny tank reflecting light

FANTASQUE   n° 251

https://www.chars-francais.net/2015/index.php/14-classement-individuel/char-b/227-251-fantasque

which is an interesting one, 

http://france1940.free.fr/armee/colours.html

which was painted with an experimental scheme of 'Flocage' 

xwlogv01pjw31.jpg

An engineer named Marc Marchal, who was a president of French chemist and would later ba a tanker in 1940 proposed a new type of camouflage, flocage, 

This was obtained by spraying fine fibrous filaments onto a tank previously painted with a gummy type of paint

First the tank was painted a special mixture of glue and green paint and while still dry [sic, I assume this should be wet] the fibre was sprayed on, many colours were used, ranging from maroon for the tree trunks and limbs to yellow and green for simulated leaves.

The final result resembled a small stand of trees. Trials conducted alongside other Char B Alpes in ordinary paint resulted in the scheme being dropped. While the textured surface worked quite well in reducing reflections off the armour, it was very expensive and time consuming to apply. More importantly, it was found after a few hours of running cross country, the fibre became so coated with dirt as to be unrecognisable.

From Blitzkrieg - Camouflage and Markings.

see also

https://www.chars-francais.net/2015/index.php/marquages-camouflages/b1-bis-camouflages

The whole site is very interesting, I found some colour film, with French Shermans, and after some searhcing about found film still on the site which identified the tanks,  note they all have individual names.... 

cheers

T

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

In a fit of madness, I've bought myself a Trumpeter Char 1 bis, it would be interesting to compare the later kit with the old Matchbox kit.

Good luck Steve.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Wez said:

In a fit of madness, I've bought myself a Trumpeter Char 1 bis, it would be interesting to compare the later kit with the old Matchbox kit.

Good luck Steve.

I did look at the Trumpeter kit Wez it's a great looking kit be interesting to see it built.

Hi folk's,kit arrived odd as it was the cheapest option on Amazon including postage and it came from Germany! Anyway as stated this

kit is new to me never having seen the Matchbox original but as usual for their armour kits very nicely molded.

20210728_183116

20210728_183058

Two sessions later(about two hours) and we have the basics for paint and detailing especially the base.

20210729_192233

• Like 10

Blimey Steve that didn't take long!!

They are nice little kits aren't they and they seem to have gone together very nicely, just like the Matchbox armour kits I remember building.

Looking forward to the paint going on mate, though going by the rate you have got them together you have probably already finished that too!😁

• Like 1

Hi Steve,

It is a nice kit - I have built 2 of them. I had got it in my head that this was the street scene diorama with the bent street lamp, but on checking I think that is the one for the Puma armoured car. I did not generally build the scenery, but some of it was pretty good as I found with my recent "Monty's Caravan". The one with the SdKfz 11 halftrack was not bad either.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, PeterB said:

Hi Steve,

It is a nice kit - I have built 2 of them. I had got it in my head that this was the street scene diorama with the bent street lamp, but on checking I think that is the one for the Puma armoured car. I did not generally build the scenery, but some of it was pretty good as I found with my recent "Monty's Caravan". The one with the SdKfz 11 halftrack was not bad either.

Pete

Great little kits Pete it's always struck me the difference between Matchbox's armour and other subjects much more refined molds etc

here's the collection.

20201230_161040

20201228_141735

20201226_184145

20200511_104355

20200511_104321

20200511_104329

• Like 11

2 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Great start on the base Steve.

Thank's Craig,with various washes planned  it will look a lot better once completed, I was impressed by a few clever touches on a build

I looked at of this kit where trees were added behind the wall so if I can find something in the garden..........................

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

Thank's Craig,with various washes planned  it will look a lot better once completed, I was impressed by a few clever touches on a build

I looked at of this kit where trees were added behind the wall so if I can find something in the garden..........................

That sounds like a great idea Steve, good luck in the garden.

• Haha 1

Hi folk's,I'll call the base done ready for a matt coat(maybe a tree too).The renault tank is painted ready next for weathering.The Char B

will now recieve a spray of green before the camoflage detail.

20210805_213018

• Like 9