A 1/43 Mustang racecar resin kit.

Kitkent

Hi,I'm definitely the odd boy out here among all the 1/24 Mustangs which I'm looking forward to seeing. I've had this kit about 20 years I reckon,but it's a very decent kit. Below are several photos,one is the advert for this kit in the U.S. now defunct magazine Motor Racing Replica news. 

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

Right,I suppose I'd better get on with it now! Chris.

• Like 8

Interesting choice of kit. Is this by the same Proline who're now a serious name in RC, or just a coincidence in the name choice?

James

• Like 1

Nice vote of confidence there Spiny! Thanks. Is Proline RC an English company? The Proline models that made this kit was,not sure about now,was a Peter Wingfeild from Florida a professional model builder. But the kit was made for him by Sapphire Modelcraft of England. Chris.

Just a small update,first thing to do is prepare the body which wasn't too difficult. Remove all the rough parts and sand down the edges,the window frames are the worst as they can be quite delicate. It now has the primer coat,next will be Appliance white all over,then I have to mask and spray the rear end to match the blue of the decals. I forgot to add a small piece of photo etch on the boot lid,a slight lip or gurney flap if you like. 

spacer.pngspacer.pngI get the idea of a group build now,you have to actually build something,not just talk about it! Chris.

• Like 8
  • Haha 2

Ha ha! The IMSA series is still going,very similar to the Le Mans series but it can be watched on You tube. I love sportscar racing and this is a quality resin kit so I would like to see it finished myself! Sapphire made a series of BMW M1 racers,I've shown some of them and still have a few more lurking around. Chris.

• 3 weeks later...

An update at last before my build falls off the first page! Have not had much time for modelling lately for several reasons,one of them being that my boy has moved back in till he can afford his own place,but on top of that he now has a new puppy! It's like having a baby again....Anyway I have now sprayed the body with Tamiya white primer and Halfords Appliance white.i have glued on the small p.e. rear spoiler lip. It now needs to be masked off at the back to match the blue decal,it merges in at the rear. The interior and base has quite a lot of detail,that's been started and I used the very nice Tamiya TS 83 Metallic silver,I'm impressed with this stuff,but it's £13 a tin! Then the rest is brush painted Tamiya NATO black and a Matt black.The seat is separate,the photo isn't very good as it's been taken with my phone,so may have found its limits I think- the seat only measures less than half an inch at the base. Chris.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

A small update on my small car,this shows all the parts of the wheels,I've also made a good start on the interior but There's still quite a way to go yet. I have added everyday objects just to show the small size,but you know this already!  Im still thinking about spraying the rear of the car blue,got to find the right colour first. Chris.

Dashboard,steering wheel.

spacer.png

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,just a small update on my small Mustang. Eventually I got round to masking and spray painting the rear end of this car,I think it's a good match for the blue of the decals which cover both sides of the car.The next stage is just to attach all those decals to the body now.........Till later,Chris.

spacer.png

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...

More progress,it's nearly all decalling and correcting the decalling! It didn't go smoothly at all.There's a picture of my decal dish and it's not a very pretty sight,the big blue decals on both sides wouldn't bend at all so it's all been repaired with Tamiya blue paint and blue decal stripes. That took a quite a few hours work but I think it's all over now. The other pics now are really the top and bottom of the car,but there's still quite a bit of finishing off left to do. Chris.

• Like 8

A good recovery from your decal mishaps Chris, that is going to look stunning. When I saw the resin interior & body I had my doubts but can now see they have got all the necessary detail in place. Looking forward to seeing it together.

Steve.

• Like 1

Finished! I'm surprised I did it on time,my first ever group build. Now looking at the pictures I remember that one door mirror is missing,it literally has no contact area being so small and in an ackward  spot. I'll try again with a very small dot of superglue. This kit would still be in my stash today,so that's another one less now and I think it's a good looking car.

Chris.

• Like 5