Travelair Mystery Ship- little red racing coupe

5 hours ago, Gary Brantley said:

That is a thing of beauty Chris!   Great work on an ancient model, man. :clap2: I have two of these kits stashed, one of which is in the vertical boxing, but that complex paint scheme has always intimidated me so much.  I'm happy to see that you nailed that look on your model!  🍺

Thanks Gary for your very kind comments,  it's a cracking kit and is easier to paint than you think, they give you guides on the kit itself and a steady hand is all that's required really unless you're airbrushing then I presume its a case of masking up.it took me a few attempts at some of the edges, but worth it.

3 hours ago, Toryu said:

That's smart. Wonderful little racer model!

Thanks Toryu

2 hours ago, Troffa said:

A fabulous build of a super looking aircraft, but the finish is amazing!

Thanks Troffa, very kind, I really did enjoy this one, just some thinner in the enamels and they brush on very smoothly. 

1 hour ago, 85sqn said:

Beautiful model of a beautiful aircraft!

Thanks 85 sqn, very kind

1 hour ago, billn53 said:

Not my preferred scale, but I’d be happy to have it in my collection anyway. 

Thanks Bill, very kind, I am starting to move to more 32nd stuff now.

Thanks all for your kind comments 

Chris

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Dandie Dinmont said:

Just read through your build thread and am flabbergasted, both at the quantity and quality of your work. I would never have guessed that this little beauty was brush painted and painted freehand at that. Great job!

Craig. 

Thanks Craig, wow really kind of you for your very generous comments.   I have not used an Airbrush before, sometimes Halfords primer and appliance white from  a rattle can in the garage though, I find the painting part quite relaxing and it's nice to be able t get as smooth as possible with a brush, doesn't always work. Yellow can be a pain but worth it when done.

Thanks 

Chris

• Like 1

Beautiful build. It brought back memories of my visit to the Beechcraft Museum in Tennessee, back in 2013. They have old Beechs restored to pristine condition. Well worth a visit if you're ever in that neck of the woods.

Cheers,
Wlad

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, kapam said:

Amazing!  Really impressive modelling!

:thumbsup:

Thanks Kapam, very much appreciated. 

2 hours ago, Wlad said:

Beautiful build. It brought back memories of my visit to the Beechcraft Museum in Tennessee, back in 2013. They have old Beechs restored to pristine condition. Well worth a visit if you're ever in that neck of the woods.

Cheers,
Wlad

Thanks Wlad, very kind, I am very pleased that it triggered lovely memory for you. That does sound  great.  

Thanks guys

Chris

42 minutes ago, Viking said:

That really is a beautiful piece of work, the finish is outstanding, and brush painted, wow!

Cheers

John

Thanks John very kind of you. The brush painting is very enjoyable and recommend modellers give it a go , with a bit of thinning it brushes on beautifully and you will be amazed.  

Thanks John

Chris

4 hours ago, Andy Dyck said:

Hi Chris,

whar an amazing flagship!!  Looks perfect!  By the way superb photography too!! 😀😀😀😀

thx for sharing!

Cheers 

Andy 

Thanks Andy for you kind comments, your backround is very handy fella, thank you. 

1 hour ago, Old Man said:

That's awful pretty, Sir.

The free-hand scalloping is just incredible. I'd have taken it for a decal.

I'll be shaking my head over it for quite a while.

Thank you Old Man , I feel bad aying that should say old bean perhaps!!!

Very kind of you, the scallops and lines have a recessed panel line to paint up to or into.  I decided to paint into but still crossed the lines a few times on each session so had to correct quite a few times !!!  Well worth all the effort though as very pleased with the results. 

Thank you both for commenting. 

Chris

• Like 1

Amazing build Chris. The finish is just like a glossy shell. You are the most accomplished brush-painter I've ever seen.

Great modelling.

Alan 

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Alan P said:

Amazing build Chris. The finish is just like a glossy shell. You are the most accomplished brush-painter I've ever seen.

Great modelling.

Alan 

Wow thanks Alan very kind indeed, there are some cracking Brush painters on here. I think the colours of this one have certainly made for a great finish. 

Thanks Alan. 

Chris

On 7/19/2021 at 9:51 AM, bigbadbadge said:

Thank you Old Man , I feel bad aying that should say old bean perhaps!!!

Very kind of you, the scallops and lines have a recessed panel line to paint up to or into.  I decided to paint into but still crossed the lines a few times on each session so had to correct quite a few times !!!  Well worth all the effort though as very pleased with the results. 

Thank you both for commenting. 

Chris

You're right about removing paint. I keep sharp, clean toothpicks ready to hand when doing this sort of thing. It's not where the paint goes, it's where you leave it dry. Now that I've gotten better at scribing (there's a reason I do mostly fabric-covered things) I use the 'shallow line' technique sometimes, but for simple straight lines, nothing like your scallops. I actually encountered the technique ages ago. My first encounter with fine modeling as a boy was a family friend who was a diamond-setter. He could draw with an engraver, sure as a sketch-artist with a pencil. He'd draw things on the model, squadron emblems, tactical numbers, that sort of thing, and paint to the line once he had. He did the lozenge pattern on an Aurora Fokker D7 that way. It wasn't till I found girls I ever saw anything impressed me half so much.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Old Man said:

You're right about removing paint. I keep sharp, clean toothpicks ready to hand when doing this sort of thing. It's not where the paint goes, it's where you leave it dry. Now that I've gotten better at scribing (there's a reason I do mostly fabric-covered things) I use the 'shallow line' technique sometimes, but for simple straight lines, nothing like your scallops. I actually encountered the technique ages ago. My first encounter with fine modeling as a boy was a family friend who was a diamond-setter. He could draw with an engraver, sure as a sketch-artist with a pencil. He'd draw things on the model, squadron emblems, tactical numbers, that sort of thing, and paint to the line once he had. He did the lozenge pattern on an Aurora Fokker D7 that way. It wasn't till I found girls I ever saw anything impressed me half so much.

Hi OM 

Yes they are great, like you I have some sharp and some sharpish but slightly rounded so they don't scratch canopy glazing as I use the same technique when painting Canopies and occasionally stray onto the glazing.  I like the idea of your shallow line scribed to paint too, that is a very good idea and I thank you for sharing that.   

Wow that work by the guy with tge engraver sounds amazing. 

Thanks

Chris

• Like 1