US Army "Helo Drab"

Slater

"Olive Drab" used on Army helicopters during Vietnam is a much different color than the current shade you see on Blackhawks and Apaches. I believe the color change happened circa late 1970s.  The earlier color is FS34087, which in later editions of FS595 was renumbered as FS34088.  The modern color is quoted as FS34031, although its appearance seems to vary widely depending on weathering, lighting, etc.

As an aside, Testors always seemed a bit quirky in naming their Model Master (RIP) colors, as "Helo Drab" is certainly a misnomer since the Army doesn't use that term.  To quote an old saying about the U.S. services:

The Army calls them choppers.

The Navy calls them helos.

The Air Force calls them useless.

And the Marines call them all the time. 😆

• Like 3
  • Haha 7

Also,

For FS numbers, the lower the last three digits, the darker the shade.  So -031 would be darker than -087.

Take Care,

WARDOG

• Thanks 1

If you're after modern US Helo Drab, Hataka do it, included in their modern British Army Air Corps set. I haven't had chance to use it yet but if its any good, I believe its the first rendition of it in Acrylic (happy to be told otherwise!) 

Daryl 

Hi Daryl,

The first rendition of Helo Drab in acrylic, I believe, was by Testors Model Master.  I like it and it is a much better shade than their enamel so I will be using it for my Army helos.

Slater,

Yes, the earlier, Vietnam-era helos were in FS34087 Olive Drab.  It is a more brownish-green color than the later Helo Drab color.

Cheers,

WARDOG

• Thanks 1

This document found here: https://history.army.mil/museums/Arms-and-Ordnance/documents/Policy-Sop/Ordnance/US_Army-Aircraft-Paint-Color-Guides.pdf

discusses how olive drab changed through the years as used on US Army aircraft.

• Like 1