Tamiya Harrier FRS1

Hi guys I got this kit a few years ago as it was about £12 and it's a very old one from Tamiya they practically denounce it on their website if I recall as it doesn't have the best fit, but it's not terrible either probably on par with a few companies today. I filed off all of the panel lines as they just look like weld seams to me if I'm honest so I'd rather have none than raised lines. The model was one of those that sat on a shelf as it was started last year and forgotten about which is odd for me I like to finish what I start. Anyway it's all OOB literally nothing added, actually detail removed but I do recommend it as it's decent looking model with few parts that you can throw together in a short while. I have to admit I couldn't be bothered with this by the end and I was sloppy with the details I wanted it finished so I could call it done. Either way I do like this it's just not even close to my best effort, probably one of my worst lol. I used Tamiya acrylics and Klear floor polish for the gloss finish and kit decals. Anyway that aside I hope you guys like it. 

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

I did screw up the paint by the intakes as I think the grey should have gone down the inside and I'd masked this without thinking and the other thing is I don't know what the deal with the bombs is I'm pretty sure the engine power wasn't great enough to get this thing off an Invincible class carrier with that amount of armament but I could be wrong, on the Illustrious I only ever saw them fly with tanks and Amraams or nothing at all. I'm assuming bombs are totally wrong but this is different from the FA2 I was used to so who knows I couldn't find anything on Google so mate you guys know? Anyway I've gone on long enough my next build is the Revell boxing of the 32nd BF110 C2/C7.

• Like 32

Nice build. I think it's a nice kit but not Tamiya's finest hour. The lack of auxiliary intakes being one obvious example and no I wouldn't want to cut them all out either. 

As for the bombs I'm pretty sure the Sea Harriers could carry a thousand pounder under each wing for ground attack and were used as such for several raids on Port Stanley before the GR3s arrived but that was never their main role. So Sidewinders are more appropriate. 

Edited by noelh
  • Like 1

I never knew that perhaps 4 bombs is ambitious lol. I have to say if all the variants out there the FRS1 is my favourite in terms of looks at least and FA2 probably least.

• Like 1

They were loud really really loud they were doing engine tests revving the engines on deck while at sea I can't recall if it was baltops or gulf doesnt matter I suppose but i was talking with my CO in his cabin and the officers cabins on invincible class carriers were directly and I mean directly under the aft end of the flight deck and its where the Harriers sometimes were kept and it was so noisy that if someone yelled into your ears with their mouth at your eat you wouldn't have heard them it's one thing them in the distance and another to sit under one, not great for the ears but watching a fighter arc in from the distance and then come to a hover and get to ally land that never got old. Have to say I'd love a proper updated 32nd Kit of this aircraft and the FA2 as well I think 1/24 which Airfix do might be pushing it but with their latest stuff I'd still get one lol. You get an engine in this model as well.I forgot to say, for its age it's pretty good but not now but still.

Edited by Deano353
Spelling mistakes

A very nice clean build in perhaps the prettiest Sea Harrier paint scheme.

I remember building this kit way back in the overall Dark Sea Grey scheme after seeing one in that scheme on HMS Illustrious when she visited Tyneside in '83. I waited for 3 hours in the queue to go aboard.  It seemed to be a very nice kit to me back then!

Stuart

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Stuart Wilson said:

A very nice clean build in perhaps the prettiest Sea Harrier paint scheme.

I remember building this kit way back in the overall Dark Sea Grey scheme after seeing one in that scheme on HMS Illustrious when she visited Tyneside in '83. I waited for 3 hours in the queue to go aboard.  It seemed to be a very nice kit to me back then!

Stuart

3 hours to get on board where were you allowed to go? I'm assuming hangar and flight deck? I could have joined the Illustrious in Newcastle was told it was a great run ashore didn't realise until after I left it was made there.

22 hours ago, Deano353 said:

They were loud really really loud they were doing engine tests revving the engines on deck while at sea I can't recall if it was baltops or gulf doesnt matter I suppose but i was talking with my CO in his cabin and the officers cabins on invincible class carriers were directly and I mean directly under the aft end of the flight deck and its where the Harriers sometimes were kept and it was so noisy that if someone yelled into your ears with their mouth at your eat you wouldn't have heard them it's one thing them in the distance and another to sit under one, not great for the ears but watching a fighter arc in from the distance and then come to a hover and get to ally land that never got old. Have to say I'd love a proper updated 32nd Kit of this aircraft and the FA2 as well I think 1/24 which Airfix do might be pushing it but with their latest stuff I'd still get one lol. You get an engine in this model as well.I forgot to say, for its age it's pretty good but not now but still.

You're lucky you didnt live below the centre hangar....regularly and carefully dragged chain lashings and bottle jacks around to get our own back on the ships company 🤣🤣🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, junglierating said:

You're lucky you didnt live below the centre hangar....regularly and carefully dragged chain lashings and bottle jacks around to get our own back on the ships company 🤣🤣🤣

Ah hahaha I was fwd on 5 deck cushy mess deck lol. Not sure if the hangar went as far as echo I don't think it did think we were under the forecastle which was about 3 decks of computers for the goalkeeper and the locker. Probably the quietest area although the officers did have an entire pub at the back of the ship the lucky (fill in the swear word) 😂. I take it you were aboard the Lusty as well?

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, mcdonnell said:

A great job,Deano.She looks beautiful.👏😉👍

Thank you very much this is getting way more likes than I anticipated it would much appreciated.  If I had the skills to rescribe an entire model I would have had details.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Deano353 said:

Ah hahaha I was fwd on 5 deck cushy mess deck lol. Not sure if the hangar went as far as echo I don't think it did think we were under the forecastle which was about 3 decks of computers for the goalkeeper and the locker. Probably the quietest area although the officers did have an entire pub at the back of the ship the lucky (fill in the swear word) 😂. I take it you were aboard the Lusty as well?

Mainly Ark and a bit of lusty.

That said bashing about on the hangar deck might have been the O boat thinking about it.

Still RFA only way to travel.....keep in with the ships company helps to a smooth trip on RFA lines 😉...porthole for seniors😃

• Like 1

On 7/18/2021 at 1:23 PM, Deano353 said:

3 hours to get on board where were you allowed to go? I'm assuming hangar and flight deck? I could have joined the Illustrious in Newcastle was told it was a great run ashore didn't realise until after I left it was made there.

Yes, just the hanger and flight deck as I recall. My dad had to queue with me (I was too young to drive), we must have been in the first 50 or so people in the queue. I think the news said there were 20,000 visitors that day!

Just the one harrier on board and it was roped off. I don't know if they had fiberglass replicas but it looked real to me. The wing tanks didn't match the paint scheme.

I managed to visit Invincible, Ark and Ocean over the years but that was the first one and I remember it best.

Stuart

• Like 1

@Stuart Wilson I've never seen replicas on board but I did see replicas in Portsmouth dockyard of Tornados and Jaguars they had some event with the public but I'm talkimg 20+ years ago so really cant remember what it was. Could well have been real to be fair embarked before the ship came alongside. I remember walking around some corner in the dockyard after the event possibly called Navy Days it rings a bell and there was a GR4 in some car parking spaces I think. Unless they have a seriously short stopping distance I'm pretty sure that was a replica lol.