Airfix 1/72 Bf109 E 3 canopy questions

junglierating

Hi,

Gotva couple of kits for my Birthday so whilst away from home as a bit of relexation in one of the Grimm prior to more fluid evening events I threw together the kit.

Noticed that the windshield/quarter light apart from being a bit short on height which i will fill out with card.It has a machined hole but its not on the instructions....any idea what it is for or is it a mistake?

Any Luftwaffe fans out there?

Is the hole at the forward centre of the rear canopy part? If it is, it's for the aerial mast :) If it's the lower front 'triangle' beneath the main windshield, I believe it's a flare port.

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1

Unless you mean a small hole in the lower r/h of the windshield itself? - which could be for the fitting of a telescope/telescopic sight.  There are pics of Galland's a/c with the telescope fitted. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, junglierating said:

Centre bottom of the windshield....nothing to plug it with so tiny bit of filler required.

Still thanks Stew and Werdna 👍

Attachment point for external armoured windshield maybe - if supplied ?

As the hole is in the windshield itself it can only be a moulding error or provision for a monocular sight as used by Adolf Galland, although I wasn't aware that the Airfix Bf109E-4 included the Galland sight. As such I just checked the instructions on Scalemates and sure enough it's not there so most probably is a moulding fault. The good news is that you can take advantage of it and install the sight without the terror of having to drill the canopy.

Regards

Colin.

Well ive put slithers of plastic card on to the airframe sill to lift the front windscreen up so that it fits better.Dunno what to do about large orifice....it doesnt look like a casting error.

Quite annoyed really its a relatively new kit with a windscreen that doesnt fit and a strange hole ..still will publish old 1/72:spitfire and new 1/48 spitfire  both mk1