1/48 RAAF CAC-13 Boomerang (Special Hobby)

Finally got round to completing this one. Sat on shelf of doom for a while till I managed to fix the windscreen (well replace it with a vac formed one as I broke the kit one)

Kit             - 1/48 Special Hobby CAC-13 Boomerang

spacer.png

Additions - Ultracast resin seat (for P-39 Airacobra, looked like a close enough match and you wouldn't have known unless I told you)

- Tasman (Falcon) vac formed windscreen 

- Replaced resin cowling flaps with homemade ones from plastic strip and sheet

- Uschi rigging thread for antennae wire

Markings - Montex Masks (for SH's CAC-12 Boomerang, codes and insignia are all the same for later -13 version)

- Kit decals for the serial number and stencils

Paint        - SMS (Scale Modellers Supply) Foliage Green

- Own mixes of Tamiya paints for shadows & highlights of Foliage Green and Off White for wing leading edges & tail

Nicely detailed kit, can be a pain to put together (just read a few of the online build reviews for proof).

Grass mat and background don't match but the sun was out for first time this week so took the opportunity to take some nicely lit                      photos.

spacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Just noticed in the pics that I didn't drill out the exhaust 🤬.

Posted in WWII asking for people's preferred panel line wash for Dark Green. Thanks to those that replied it did help immensely with finishing off this a/c.

Thanks for looking, comments welcome.

Cheers

Edited by Red Dog
  • Like 41

• Red Dog changed the title to 1/48 RAAF CAC-13 Boomerang (Special Hobby)

Thanks Massimiliano, used water colours for panel line wash. A dark green (mix of green & black) over gloss coat. 

Roberto, haven't got any underside pics on file, will have to take some and then post. Stay tuned.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Really like this.:like:. After seeing the results of your endeavours I think Ill have a go with water colours for panel lining. How thick/thin do you mix the paint and does it stain the surrounding areas after its been wiped off?

Pete

• 4 weeks later...

This topic has just had a resurgence lately so thanks for the comments. Not being an expert on Foliage Green I can't say whether SMS is spot on, close or otherwise but I do feel it is a good representation as everyone clearly recognises it as Foliage Green. Kudos to SMS.

Volksjager - Invest by all means but be prepared to wrestle with it and test fit, test fit, test fit, cut something off, test fit, test fit, scrape away some plastic off another part, test fit, test fit, change the arrangement of another part to allow the piece your working on to fit, test fit, test fit, etc, etc (meanwhile swearing and cursing all the way).

It just needs time and patience but like so many before me have experienced, will end up as a great little representation of an almost forgotten Aussie

Pete in a shed - mix to your own liking. For me, cheap water colours (in tube form) from local $2 store. mixed with enough water to allow them to move along panel lines with capillary action over a gloss coat. Over a gloss coat they won't stain the surrounding areas.

Cheers all.

• Like 1

That's a fabulous build from that kit Red Dog! I have several of these in my stash, may get around to them once my Wirraways are done.

For other builders - note that the dished infill behind the rear windows was always painted black. There is no reference to this in the instructions, but photos will confirm this.