Question regarding Hasegawa's 1/72 AH-64A Apache.

flyinghorse

Hasegawa's 1/72 AH-64A Apache is a neat little kit. I recently built an original kit from 1983 that I bought from eBay. It's my first helicopter kit in 1/72 scale and It went together alright, but obviously there are some differences to what an Apache looks like. For instance, the tail propeller has a long shaft that attaches to the tail, but upon examining photos of the actual AH-64, the tail propeller shaft is not that long. Any other details that I should know about, as I am not familiar with combat helicopters (more of a plane and tank guy LOL!), If I ever build it again, what can I do to add a bit more to it in terms of accuracy? Also the kit came brand new and sealed (nice), but it seems to only have two sets of Hellfire missiles to fit on two pylons, with the other ones being empty. This is not unusual as the early boxing of this kit came like this. I ordered another Apache in 1/72 from a different brand since I am starting to get into helo's. 

Hasegawa's original release of the Apache in 1/72 scale was based on the prototype or pre-production version, which probably accounts for the differences you're seeing (not sure if the first kit had it but originally the YAH-64 had a "T-tail" horizontal stabilizer, among other differences).  As you say it's a good kit even given its age, but if you'd like to represent a modern airframe "loaded for bear" you might look at one of the Academy kits - their recent Longbow variants are reportedly excellent and include the radar pod above the rotor hub and other features like the expanded "cheek" fairings below the cockpit unique to these versions. The Academy AH-64A is also widely considered the best kit available for the original production model.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/17/2021 at 11:23 AM, CT7567 said:

Hasegawa's original release of the Apache in 1/72 scale was based on the prototype or pre-production version, which probably accounts for the differences you're seeing (not sure if the first kit had it but originally the YAH-64 had a "T-tail" horizontal stabilizer, among other differences).  As you say it's a good kit even given its age, but if you'd like to represent a modern airframe "loaded for bear" you might look at one of the Academy kits - their recent Longbow variants are reportedly excellent and include the radar pod above the rotor hub and other features like the expanded "cheek" fairings below the cockpit unique to these versions. The Academy AH-64A is also widely considered the best kit available for the original production model.

Ah, I see it now. Academy's kit looks real good. Being a softie for old kits, I often rediscover the surprise of how detailed newer kit are. :)