Heller Rafale A in 1/48th Scale.Finished.

Alex Gordon

G'day again Chums,a bit more to show.

Werner,thanks old fruit.The missile bodies do seem to be a good shape,that might have something to do with the access given to Heller being as their office was not far away from that of Matra.

The canard foreplanes have endured a severe lack of attention,this time it was their turn in the barrel.I left them off so that they didn't get in the way or broken off.

Heller-Rafale-A-88.jpg

The holes for mounting them are either side of the fuselage at the aft end of the canopy.

Heller-Rafale-A-89.jpg

The canards were separated and a length of plastic tube was cut slightly longer than the fuselage is wide.

Heller-Rafale-A-90.jpg

The spigots on the canards weren't quite round so I needed a method of rectifying that.I widened out one of the holes in my trusty SAM saw.

Heller-Rafale-A-91.jpg

The spigot was wound through the hole which sorted things out nicely and left me with a circular cross section which will fit firmly into the drilled out tube. 

Heller-Rafale-A-92.jpg

The ends of the tube were opened up to match the spigots and then was fed through the opened out holes in the fuselage using a drill bit for maneuvering and steering,leaving a little bit stuck out of each side for fettling.

Heller-Rafale-A-93.jpg

There are two noselegs,one plastic one metal.There is not much to choose between them but being as a small amount of noseweight is needed I thought I'd try the metal one.

Heller-Rafale-A-94.jpg

The only thing to choose between the two nosewheels is the tread pattern on the metal one.

Heller-Rafale-A-95.jpg

There are two rams and the torque link to be attached to the noseleg.I could have used superglue but,with nothing to lose,I thought I'd try soldering instead.I used a scrap length of metal runner to test the melting temparature of the white metal which I found to be about the same as my usual solder.Fortunately I have more than one coil of solder so I dug another one out from the Store of Eternity,it's full of things that might come in useful someday but someday had so far failed to arrive,and found its melting point was sufficiently lower than the white metal to not leave me with a big shiny blob if it all went wrong.While the finished job is not tidy it's near enough for a first try at soldering white metal.

Heller-Rafale-A-96.jpg

Thanks all for looking in,more soon.

• Like 3

Hello again Chums,a bit more canopy this time.

Chris,thanks old fruit.It was easier to do than it looks.

Searching for images showing how the canopy is hinged has been surprisingly fruitless but on the way round I've found out who makes them,the set up is different on every other variant,the blue in the decals is probably too dark and the nearest I've found so far that shows me how the canopy should sit is an image large enough to give dial up users a fit of pique so from pure politeness I'll just link to it instead.

It should sit about here.I did toy with the idea of having the lid shut but that would mean moving the port side stick which interferes with the fit.

Heller-Rafale-A-97.jpg

I decided that,in the absence of any solid method provided in the kit,I'd use a piece of the brass fret.I filed out a lump of the canopy edge to the thickness of the brass and offered up to mark out for a slot.

Heller-Rafale-A-98.jpg

This was duly cut,a faff on its own 'cos my saws are either too narrow or too wide,and the bit of brass slotted in to test.

Heller-Rafale-A-99.jpg

This was then superglued to the canopy

Heller-Rafale-A-100.jpg

and it seems to work quite well.

Heller-Rafale-A-101.jpg

There is a flat panel that surrounds the cockpit aperture.This also quite nicely covered up my nice shiny new slot so some had to be filed out of the appropriate bit of edge.

Heller-Rafale-A-102.jpg

All put together it seems to work quite happily.

Heller-Rafale-A-103.jpg

There has been Milliputting of any last gaps,masking of the wing lamps and most of the fettling has been finished.She looks good stood on her legs and i forsee paint in the near future.

Heller-Rafale-A-104.jpg

Thanks for looking in Chums,more soon.

• Like 5

G'day again Chums,a little bit to show this time.

Werner,thanks old fruit.It probably had a lot to do with the weight of the thing and complexity of mounting it.

The fin antennae have been de-part lined and added.

Heller-Rafale-A-105.jpg

The locating pegs are handed to each side and allow them to be positioned nearly where they should be,the fit is not tight so they can be rotated slightly.

Heller-Rafale-A-106.jpg

Anyway there has been a wipe down with white spirit to degrease and the first coat of gloss white has been sprayed on.

Heller-Rafale-A-107.jpg

This has all but covered the Milliput and shown up some smoothing off that needs to be attended to.The missile mounting rails are yet to be added to the underside and the wingtip rails will probably benefit from some wire pins but otherwise we're looking somewhere near decent.

More soon Chums,thanks for looking in. 

• Like 5

Hello again Chums,rain stopped play today so I've been able to do a bit.

Bertie,thanks old fruit.A sharp drill bit and the touch of a midwife are the order of the day for that job.

The missile pylons were fished out of the box. 

Heller-Rafale-A-108.jpg

Copper wire pins were cut and fitted for mounting the missile bodies.

Heller-Rafale-A-109.jpg

These have been glued to the fuselage having scraped paint away first.One thing that was of note the two aft outer pylon part numbers were transposed on the map,part numbers 63 and 64 need to be swapped over. 

Heller-Rafale-A-110.jpg

The undercarriage doors have been prepped ready for paint.

Heller-Rafale-A-111.jpg

I've work to do tomorrow but if it's raining then it won't happen and I'll be here.More soon Chums,thanks for looking in.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

G'day again Chums,work,life and dust in the paint have been in the way.The paint job is now as good as it's going to be and there has been some decalling.

I started with the canards.There are some complex shapes on the decal sheet,here are two of them.

Heller-Rafale-A-112.jpg

The decals were bedded on a drop of Klear and folded round the leading edge.They are a nearly fit and I'm starting to wonder if I should have masked and painted instead.

Heller-Rafale-A-113.jpg

The canopy decals were applied and we're now waiting to see if the slight haze underneath disappears with drying.

Heller-Rafale-A-114.jpg

The black panel behind the canopy has been masked and painted.

Heller-Rafale-A-115.jpg

I don't normally indulge in panel line highlighting but this photo shows them to be very visible.I've used the lightest grey to hand but it looks too prominent to me so the upper sides will be much lighter.

Heller-Rafale-A-116.jpg

Thanks all for looking in Chums,more soon.

• Like 4

Hi Alex,

great progress on your Rafale.

I usually prefer to mask such stripes instead of using decals. One never knows how good they fit, and it is a chore to find matching paint to touch missed areas up. Furthermore, I despise using large decals as you never know how they settle, which may ruin the whole impression.

If you decide on masking the stripes, you can try to seal the edges of the masking tape with a coat of clear first in order to prevent paint bleeding and later touch ups (especially nasty on a predominantly white subject).

But I guess I'm trying to teach a granny to suck eggs, so I will just lean back and wait patiently for the next update 😆

Cheers

Markus

• Like 1

Hello again Chums,there has been more decalling.

Markus,thanks for chipping in old fruit.I did consider painting the stripework but the paint I've used for the white doesn't like being masked and tends to peel off when tape is removed.

I'm really not enjoying the decals on this one.They perform well enough and are fairly resilient but they are either too long or short,the adhesive is a slopping gunk requiring a lot of clean up work and the backing paper rolls up tighter than a watch spring on contact with water risking damage while trying to flatten it out.

The fin decal required the removal of the antennae either side before application,I should have spotted that one really,and doesn't reach the fin cap joint like the real thing does.

Heller-Rafale-A-117.jpg

The spine stripe had to be shortened at both ends to fit properly.The cutting was done in situ so as not to get it wildly wrong.

Heller-Rafale-A-118.jpg

The whole decal job has been like this so far.Anyway,all the stripey bits are now on leaving the easy bits to be done once all are set and dried.

Thanks for looking in Chums,more soon.

• Like 2

Hi Alex,

that's a pity that the white coat is so fragile, but at least the hardest part is done now.

And I blame you and @Icarus with your splendid builds for having bought a Heller Rafale A today 😆 Having a day off (bridge day, as tomorrow is national day) I paid a visit to one of my local hobby shops and lo and behold, a Rafale A smiled at me. And being weak, I had to bring it home. No idea in which century I will build it, but at least it's mine now.

Cheers

Markus

Edited by Shorty84
  • Like 1

G'day again Chums,a little progress today.

John,thanks old chum.For long stripey things they've gone relatively easily,as I said they perform reasonably well.

Werner,cheers old bean.I'm trying to find some good in them,the fact that they handled well is probably the only redeeming feature.

Markus,that's how the rot sets in.This one sat in the stash for around 15 years before starting it,hopefully this thread will be useful to you for sorting out the bits that could have been done better.Thanks for putting that link to the Musée de l’Air et de l’Espace cockpit into Icarus' thread by the way,I found it very useful.

The seat and straps have had some paint thrown at them,there's more to do but it's a start.

Heller-Rafale-A-119.jpg

You'll be relieved to know that Revell 31 Enamel is a dead match for the red in the decals.

Heller-Rafale-A-120.jpg

Humbrol 104 is not quite a match for the blue but a little light mixing will probably sort that one out.This is where we are tonight. 

Heller-Rafale-A-121.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hello again Chums,a few more twiddly bits to show.

The decals are all on and the cleanup of the excess adhesive continues.The intake and exhaust blanks have been refined and painted.The handles on the intake blanks were made from copper wire cut to length,flattened at each end and bent to shape.

Heller-Rafale-A-122.jpg

The seat is well under way,there is still a lot to do and next time I'm going to use masking tape instead of brass because it is so much easier to handle.

Heller-Rafale-A-123.jpg

The exhausts have been painted with Humbrol Metalcote Polished Steel,the new version of it which is like daubing snot with a blunt stick and isn't a patch on the stuff from 20 odd years ago.

Heller-Rafale-A-124.jpg

The odd bits for the mainlegs have been dug out.These will be prepped and fitted up before painting.

Heller-Rafale-A-125.jpg

• Like 4

G'day again Chums,we're on the home straight.

Werner,Markus,thanks chaps.

The mainleg struts and tubes have been positioned and glued together.

Heller-Rafale-A-126.jpg

Despite the map being somewhat vague the locating points were fairly apparent so this bit was not as fraught as it could have been.The placement for the white metal spring linkages couldn't be determined however so I've left those off.Silver paint and a light oily wash completed these assemblies.

Heller-Rafale-A-127.jpg

The seat is as finished as I'm going to make it.The straps have had a repaint,I think It's a bit closer to that elusive colour that the real things seem to be made of.The pull handle was made from copper wire instead of the supplied etch and is only really visible from above.It looks a little more like it should do than from the side.

Heller-Rafale-A-128.jpg

The HUD needed a bit of cleaning up.

Heller-Rafale-A-129.jpg

It looks the part once fettled and in place.A drop of very thin clear green was run on to the top edge of the glass to represent the colour on the real thing.

Heller-Rafale-A-130.jpg

The rudder pedals had to be moved back a fraction to allow the panel and coaming to sit properly.

Heller-Rafale-A-131.jpg

The exhaust blanks were glued on to the runner across the hole in the end.

Heller-Rafale-A-132.jpg

The intake blanks had a final trim and were glued into place.

Heller-Rafale-A-133.jpg

We're all set for the final touches.More soon Chums,thanks for looking in.

Hello again Chums,more tiny teeny twiddly bits.

John,thanks old chum.I did think about replacing the HUD but it's not a big item and actually looks pretty reasonable in place.The whole instrument panel and coaming are about the size of my thumbnail so it doesn't stand out too much,it's only the close up piccies that reveal it all in it's true horrific glory.

There are five air data probes to be attached either side of the forward fuselage,tiny wee things all with relatively huge runner gates and part lines.They were all cleaned up and fitted without dropping all bar one on the carpet which I consider a result.The stray one was found and fitted after a not too protracted period of crawling and cursing.Once in place they were painted silver.

Heller-Rafale-A-134.jpg

The canopy strut doesn't do the trip,it's too short to join the two locating holes.I've superglued it in place where you see it and filled the holes.

Heller-Rafale-A-135.jpg

I've also made a replacement pitot probe from copper wire but the piccie was so out of focus that it wasn't useable so you'll have to take my word for it.Anyway,here's some more piccies of the real thing that only came to light a couple of days ago instead of back when I could have done with them before starting this one.

637233.jpg

One with the underwing tanks fitted,which are supplied in the kit

VhC30BPJkyuUHT9yp9KFo9F446zPWnRMEoKgC5k7

And this one as a link 'cos it's rather large https://i.redd.it/8dt2aejhkrb11.jpg

I'm calling this one finished.

Heller-Rafale-A-136.jpg

Heller-Rafale-A-137.jpg

Heller-Rafale-A-138.jpg

Heller-Rafale-A-139.jpg

Heller-Rafale-A-140.jpg

Heller-Rafale-A-141.jpg

Heller-Rafale-A-142.jpg

Heller-Rafale-A-143.jpg

Heller-Rafale-A-144.jpg

I've just noticed that I've forgotten to paint the gun,ah well back to the bench.My thanks to Wez and Enzo for doing their thing and to all who looked in,commented and generally encouraged,it was much appreciated at this end.

Edited by Alex Gordon
Changing dead image link.
  • Like 4

• Alex Gordon changed the title to Heller Rafale A in 1/48th Scale.Finished.