Something a bit different 1943 109 TL Jaeger

I came across an interesting paper project in a book I was reading last week on German supersonic research. Apparently In 1943 the RLM asked Messerschmitt if a single jet engined me 109 was feasible, some discussion must have taken place but Messerschmitt chose not to pursue it favouring the P1101 instead. Focke Wulf pursued the idea as the Project I but it was eventually canned as the Technisce Amt didn’t think the concept was practical, ironically the Soviets used it in the Yak 15.

20ffad0d-b076-455d-af7f-a3f8621e978b.jpe

So basically a 109G6 with a 262 nacelle ( I happen to have two in the spares box) a new nose and wing centre section. As it would have been a 1943/44 project I’ll base it in a Hasegaea G6. More to follow.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, GrahamCC said:

You always do seem to find the really unusual.

Thanks. Mostly I read a lot of books. More so at the moment as I signed up for the free Amazon prime trial on Amazon prime day ( herself wanted to buy some discounted shoes so we bought 5 pairs, 2 for myself I might add) and as part of the deal you get a free three month trial of kindle unlimited. So I’m now reading all those aviation books that were interesting but too expensive to buy :) 

• Like 2

Now the text suggested the Me209 wing, but the drawing has a 109 wing so I also need to decide which wing to go for. I like the idea of using the 209s wide track undercarriage but I need to compare plans to see otherwise how different it is to the 109 g wing. 

• Like 2

If you like the TL Jaeger then you’ll love this.

a191afaa-b0fb-424d-bd49-2ca2209c84f9.jpe

Another paper project the AS7. Messerschmitt had been researching circular wings ( basically they don’t work as they produce aerodynamic shadowing effects which render the control surfaces ineffective) after a number of scale models they built the AS6 from various spare parts. Needless to say it didn’t fly very well and the project was cancelled. The AS 7 was to have bern the next step; a prototype fighter with the circular wing based on the Me109k, but was never built.

If time permits I may try to build one for the GB but I may save it for the 2022 what if GB if it makes it out if the bunfight. And maybe go for 1/48 as well.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 3

And there was me thinking his was going to be the version with two engines slung under the wings - bit like a straight winged 262!

Pete

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, PeterB said:

And there was me thinking his was going to be the version with two engines slung under the wings - bit like a straight winged 262!

I did contemplate that one but built up it looks so like the 262 I didn’t think it was worth all the trouble of building one :) 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

It would probably suck the tanks dry in twenty minutes or less!

Yes but that would probably be ok as a point interceptor, so long as it could climb fast.. I mean the Komet had a powered flight time of less than 10 minutes.

• Like 1

This is a case where it's easy to "like" what your doing with such a fascinating subject but, my, the word "like" does not seem to apply for what has happened to those nice lines of the 109. 

Ray

resized_ec41b594-bbc0-4c56-bd47-63ada527The TL Jaeger gets some tail fins, a bit of scribing and cannon apertures. Almost ready for paint. I’m going to do it in a generic 74/75/76 scheme with a four letter call sign which seems to be how contemporary prototypes were finished.

• Like 6

On 7/29/2021 at 9:51 AM, Marklo said:

I’m going to do it in a generic 74/75/76 scheme with a four letter call sign which seems to be how contemporary prototypes were finished.

That makes sense :) 

resized_4446a3de-e74a-4e72-9532-570313f3Milliput cannon blisters added probably  a bit oversized I’ll sand them down a bit once the glue sets fully. Just some seatbelts and the canopy and it’s ready for primer. That makes 2 of the 15 at that stage, my plan is to have all 15 ready for the primer by the end of next week.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 3

• 5 weeks later...