AMT '67 Mustang Fastback-Completed 05/16

mustang1989

I was invited by Six97s to bring my build over here. After this whole 262 build I've just about made my mind up that the next kit I'll be taking on will be the latest release of AMT's '67 Mustang by Round 2. The kit has alot going for it in the fact that there's updated decals, cleaner molds and pad printed tires.

spacer.png

and managed to pick up a PE fret for it as well. 

spacer.png

I've been wanting to build one of these anyhow since I owned 3 different '67's . My last one was my favorite as it had a 351W with a 4spd and 3.55 gears and it just so happened to be the same Acapulco Blue that the fastback on the box top is. Fun car and I had a LOT of fun driving it through the years. I still love the look of the wider rear tires and the much smaller ones but I'll be building this kit using the stock wheels and tires.

spacer.png

spacer.png

This is the only picture I can find of the engine as of right now and this is in car #2. A 351W from a '69 Mach 1 with 4 barrel heads, Comp Cams 280H cam, MSD Unilite Ignition and a Holley 650 Double Pumper. It also had 11:1 compression. Note to everybody out there that knows anything about cars. NEVER do that on the street. You're guaranteed to be plagued with detonation problems unless you run HIGH octane fuel all the time. (98 or better). This engine did make this car haul like a scaled assed ape though.

spacer.png

Edited by mustang1989
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, TonyW said:

Another kit to add to the wants list. That box top on its own makes me want one.

Right??!! I’ve gotta do some test fitting to ensure I’m gonna wind up with that same stance though. If I remember correctly these kits build up with a nose high stance.

Edited by mustang1989

Thanks for the heads up on the stance.  I'm about to start one of these, swapping the engine for an FE.  Some of my references show a saggy rear end on certain '67 - '68s, even in contemporary Ford photos, yet others sit high all round.  🤔   Looking at the parts, the only thing that leapt out at me was the undersized rear axle - that'll get replaced with a Revell one.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Six97s said:

Thanks for the heads up on the stance.  I'm about to start one of these, swapping the engine for an FE.  Some of my references show a saggy rear end on certain '67 - '68s, even in contemporary Ford photos, yet others sit high all round.  🤔   Looking at the parts, the only thing that leapt out at me was the undersized rear axle - that'll get replaced with a Revell one.

I noticed that as well but most of the run of the mill Mustangs came with 8" ring geared diffs so that's probably not that far off from scale. lol 

Well.....the stance was just what I expected. I have a spare AMT GT-350 in the stash so I cut the necessary sprues from the trees and mocked everything up just to check. Man.....there's gonna need to be some fancy footwork to straighten this out if I'm going to get this thing to look like 1.) the box top (which is severely misleading if a builder thinks that this kit will build up just like the picture) and 2.) look like I want it to look personally. 

On a couple of other notes.....

1.) Pay attention to the attachment wheel retainers (that I have marked "R" for rear and "F" for front. They are different sizes meaning the rear retainer has a larger hole for the axle then the front does for the spindle.

2.) The box top shows Firestone Wide Oval Tires and the kit has these Super Sports instead. Not a game changer but hey.....put what's ON the box IN the box. C'mon!!! Same goes for the stance. Just sayin' spacer.png

OOB stance:

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 2

LOL, it's a tail dragger.   It does look a bit like this though: 

http://findclassicars.com/uploads/carphotos/original-fastback-wrare-options-original-v8-auto-ps-roof-console-sport-deck-6.jpg

I'll have to check the tyres in mine.  I have the first issue and they're definitely not tampo printed, probably the older AMT/Ertl Polyglas tyres.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Six97s said:

LOL, it's a tail dragger.   It does look a bit like this though: 

http://findclassicars.com/uploads/carphotos/original-fastback-wrare-options-original-v8-auto-ps-roof-console-sport-deck-6.jpg

I'll have to check the tyres in mine.  I have the first issue and they're definitely not tampo printed, probably the older AMT/Ertl Polyglas tyres.

Most of 'em seemed to sit like that alright and while that's meh.....okay...I much prefer a slight forward rake on mine.  As far as your original tires go.......ditch 'em. IMO you'll be much more happy with the newer offerings due to just an all around better profile and look. I'll see if I can do another mock up with the original style tires. Just all wonky lookin' IMO

• Like 1

Shame about the stance, but it sounds as though you have a plan to lift that back end. The other option could be just to put a green traffic light in front of it and pretend it's pulling away from the lights!

• Haha 2

On 7/17/2021 at 3:13 PM, Spiny said:

Shame about the stance, but it sounds as though you have a plan to lift that back end. The other option could be just to put a green traffic light in front of it and pretend it's pulling away from the lights!

LOL. Thanks for the comments Spiny. I won't have any problems. If I can tweek this very same chassis I used in my Maverick build to get this outcome....

spacer.png

then I'm pretty sure I can whip this simple fix into shape. spacer.png

• Like 5

I built a JoHan Pro Stock Maverick in... 1982 or -83? I remember the kit had both 429 Boss and 427 SOHC head options. Anyhoo it didn't look at all like that - unfortunately!

More off topic - but I'm the host here, so pardon me :wicked: - a few weeks after I had just got my driver's licence, me and my buddy went to a notorious used car dealer, just to kick some tires. There stood a burgundy red, four door Maverick from the early seventies (that was in September 1986) with a V-8 and an automatic behind it (can't recall the details). On chrome wheels, of course. Come the salesman asking if boys want to take a ride? My buddy was a few weeks short of having his licence, so the driver would be me. Of course I wanted to take her out for a spin! Now I hadn't driven any automatics until then, nor a performance-ish car. My mom had a 1,3 litre Talbot Horizon I was driving... Ok so I take the Maverick out, and like in the Springsteen song, it really was highway nine we got to and as the road was clear then I nailed the right pedal, and the little red Ford leaped forward! The needle kept rising and as it got close to 100, me and my buddy looked at each other wondering how the **ll the speed feels something we're not used to, then screamed to each other, both realizing it the same time "it's in miles per hour!!!" and boy did I slam the brakes and took her then to some 60+ mph, a bit shaken but now with a memory of the burgundy Maverick that I'll probably never forget :coolio:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

53 minutes ago, vppelt68 said:

I built a JoHan Pro Stock Maverick in... 1982 or -83? I remember the kit had both 429 Boss and 427 SOHC head options. Anyhoo it didn't look at all like that - unfortunately!

More off topic - but I'm the host here, so pardon me :wicked: - a few weeks after I had just got my driver's licence, me and my buddy went to a notorious used car dealer, just to kick some tires. There stood a burgundy red, four door Maverick from the early seventies (that was in September 1986) with a V-8 and an automatic behind it (can't recall the details). On chrome wheels, of course. Come the salesman asking if boys want to take a ride? My buddy was a few weeks short of having his licence, so the driver would be me. Of course I wanted to take her out for a spin! Now I hadn't driven any automatics until then, nor a performance-ish car. My mom had a 1,3 litre Talbot Horizon I was driving... Ok so I take the Maverick out, and like in the Springsteen song, it really was highway nine we got to and as the road was clear then I nailed the right pedal, and the little red Ford leaped forward! The needle kept rising and as it got close to 100, me and my buddy looked at each other wondering how the **ll the speed feels something we're not used to, then screamed to each other, both realizing it the same time "it's in miles per hour!!!" and boy did I slam the brakes and took her then to some 60+ mph, a bit shaken but now with a memory of the burgundy Maverick that I'll probably never forget :coolio:

Great story and thanks for the good word. If you haven't priced those Jo-Han kits lately then that alone is worth a wow factor. Prices anywhere from $150-300 depending on the condition & rarity of the kit.

I started out on the engine in which I like how the basic engine layout is done. A one piece engine block with a separate oil pan which is a good thing because there is less of a seam line going down the middle of the bellhousing, oil pan and down the front of the engine between the intake manifold and timing cover. In the foreground you'll see the two parts that I just CANNOT use. This aint no P-51 Mustang so out goes the four bladed prop and I'm still trying to figure out just what in the hell they were thinking in regards to the carburetor. Man..........c'mon Round 2. The distributor is also a little weird looking so I may switch that out as well. The one other issue that I have with the engine is that it doesn't have an oil filter. To me this was a big deal but may not be to some folks. But................there's nowhere to put it either because the engine mount bosses cover the exact area where the filter is supposed to go. Looks like that part will be skipped on this build.

spacer.png

All of the engine parts needed cleaning up but the exhaust manifolds were the areas that needed the most. When cleaning these up with the X-acto blade you've gotta be careful because this plastic is REALLY soft. You can take off more than you want quicker than you're ready for if you're not careful. Just a heads up to anyone out there that wants to build this kit.

spacer.png

Additionally, on the back side of the exhaust manifolds are what looks like casting protrusions towards the front of each manifold and they may very well be BUT......in test fitting the manifolds to the cylinder head with the head fitted onto the engine block these protrusions also serve as a standoff which steadies positions them about where they are supposed to be in relation to the manifold exhaust outlets. So...................I left em in place.

spacer.png

• Like 2

• mustang1989 changed the title to AMT '67 Mustang Fastback-Progress 07/22

How strange.  I thought this was supposed to be one of the better 1/25 SBFs, but engine mounts where the oil filter should be?  🤨  That fan is poor, but I could live with the carb - I rarely bother about them if they're going to be hidden anyway. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Six97s said:

How strange.  I thought this was supposed to be one of the better 1/25 SBFs, but engine mounts where the oil filter should be?  🤨  That fan is poor, but I could live with the carb - I rarely bother about them if they're going to be hidden anyway. 

I know right? The fan's gonna be outta there. Just can't use that POS. I'll be making the air cleaner removable so that carb'll be shown off. Believe me.....the carburetors I get are every bit worth the trouble. lol 

Did some work stance wise this morning. The front got some re-positioning of the front spindles, a little sanding here and a little drilling there. All the rear springs needed was a slight re-arching. Now it's starting to look more like I want it to with a slight forward rake.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by mustang1989
  • Like 9

• mustang1989 changed the title to AMT '67 Mustang Fastback-Stance Check-07/23
On 7/19/2021 at 10:10 PM, vppelt68 said:

a few weeks after I had just got my driver's licence, me and my buddy went to a notorious used car dealer, just to kick some tires. There stood a burgundy red, four door Maverick from the early seventies (that was in September 1986) with a V-8 and an automatic behind it (can't recall the details). On chrome wheels, of course. Come the salesman asking if boys want to take a ride? My buddy was a few weeks short of having his licence, so the driver would be me. Of course I wanted to take her out for a spin! Now I hadn't driven any automatics until then, nor a performance-ish car. My mom had a 1,3 litre Talbot Horizon I was driving... Ok so I take the Maverick out, and like in the Springsteen song, it really was highway nine we got to and as the road was clear then I nailed the right pedal, and the little red Ford leaped forward! The needle kept rising and as it got close to 100, me and my buddy looked at each other wondering how the **ll the speed feels something we're not used to, then screamed to each other, both realizing it the same time "it's in miles per hour!!!" and boy did I slam the brakes and took her then to some 60+ mph, a bit shaken but now with a memory of the burgundy Maverick that I'll probably never forget :coolio:

And just a little addition to non-Finns that at that time new drivers had a personal 80 km/h limit for the first driving year indicated with white-black circle to be used in the back of the car. :D

Cheers,

AaCee

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, helios16v said:

I didn't realize you were over here too...I probably would've alerted you to this GB as well.  :whistle:  

Glad to see you here as well brother!!! No worries....I made it on board. lol 

5 hours ago, AaCee26 said:

And just a little addition to non-Finns that at that time new drivers had a personal 80 km/h limit for the first driving year indicated with white-black circle to be used in the back of the car. :D

Cheers,

AaCee

We need that system here in South Texas!!!!

• Thanks 1

Good news!! I found me some BONUS SHOTS of my old car!!!!!  I'm currently doing a bathroom renovation to our master bathroom and needed some tools that were hidden away in the "house toolbox" by my wife. While looking for the tools I found a small plastic box with.......a whole load of pictures of my old blue Mustang PLUS a slew of negatives that I'll be taking to a photo developer here in town to have pictures printed up with. Frickin' SCORE!!!! 

Here are those missing pictures of my '69 Mach 1 351W in my '67 while it was under construction. Man.....I haven't seen these things in 10 years. Now.....what tha hell were they doing in the dang tool box for? ORSAY9.gif

VWqGpw.jpg

xcgqoA.jpg

Edited by mustang1989
  • Like 8

9 hours ago, mustang1989 said:

Glad to see you here as well brother!!! No worries....I made it on board. lol 

We need that system here in South Texas!!!!

You are free to adopt it! ;)

Apologies for continuing OT, but if a kocal constable Reinikainen (he is a local version of the Lousiana sheriff J W Pepper except a nicer chap) has cought V-P near 100 mph he could kiss his driving license for good bye for considerable time!

Cheers,

AaCee 

• Haha 2