AMT '67 Mustang Fastback-Completed 05/16

mustang1989

Thanks you guys.

I managed to get the door handles installed this morning. I polished them up, since they're metal and installed them. Gives the panels a great 3D look and you can see the reflection of the handles in the door trim which I thought was a good touch.

spacer.png

• Like 8

• mustang1989 changed the title to AMT '67 Mustang Fastback-Engine-Interior Progress-09/24
  • mustang1989 changed the title to AMT '67 Mustang Fastback-Engine-Interior Progress-09/29
43 minutes ago, Kitkent said:

All looking very good,I'm impressed with bare metal foil everywhere- a very fiddly job! I noticed too that the deadline is coming up ,it's October 1st.tommorow. Chris.

There's no doubt that I wont make that deadline  but I'm gonna finish this one no matter what. An extension would be nice but I don't know how fair that would be to the rest of the gang.

Alright gang......I'm going to do a "do over" with the column and steering wheel. The longer I looked at the picture I posted above ...the more I didn't like the center horn pad and there is just something missing without the rivets around the wood grain steering wheel. I forgot that the GT-350 kit has a normal steering wheel instead of that big hideous "bonker" pad in the middle of the steering wheel. It was something that I never cared for on the '67's and was the reason I replaced the wheel later with an aftermarket wood grain wheel on my 1:1 car.  Besides that....the GT-350 wheel has a nice Cobra emblem on the horn button. 

Stay tuned.....I'll be doing "Take 2" for a hopeful better outcome.

Edited by mustang1989
  • Like 2

Ok guys. I had a cheater template for marking the rivet holes from a dollhouse clock. After I cut it to fit inside the steering wheel ring I was able to mark the rivet hole position holes really easy. FYI...if anybody wants free (and cool) print off stuff for 1/25 scale builds....here ya go: https://www.printmini.com/printables/ph.html

spacer.png

and then with the holes drilled for rivets later on....

spacer.png

Now to add some paint and some chrome trim to the spokes and then we're off to installing the rivets in the holes.

• Like 5

• mustang1989 changed the title to AMT '67 Mustang Fastback-Steering Wheel....Take II

Here we go. I knew this was going to be alot of work so I stayed up late last night laying the groundwork for the column and steering wheel completion today. I woke up this morning and managed to get this to a point where I think I'm going to be okay with it.

I have some scale nuts/ rivets from Model Car Garage that I used for the rivet inserts once I painted everything up.

To compare...this is my first attempt from two days ago.

spacer.png

and this is Take II. I am MUCH happier with this:

spacer.png

• Like 8

• mustang1989 changed the title to AMT '67 Mustang Fastback-Steering Wheel-10/01
6 hours ago, HoolioPaulio said:

That steering wheel looks good man.  I didn't have a problem with the first one until I saw the replacement, and it looks way better.  Nice job.

Thanks HP. Man I've gotta tell ya....I've taken on a few dashes and a few instrument panels in my time as a modeler and this has got to be the most difficult one that I've done yet and while I've got mixed feelings about the outcome, I do feel mostly good about it. Just really difficult to work with in terms of painting/ chroming/ detailing and getting it to turn out decent. 

5 hours ago, Kitkent said:

A big improvement! I like it,will you be leaving the windows open!? Chris.

Thanks Kent. Yesirreee!! Windows down. 

• Like 1

Thanks fellas!! Been working on the console, seats and seat belts ALL frickin' week long guys. I finally have some pics worth showing.

spacer.png

Still have the back seat, front floor mats and shifter to go.....

spacer.png

and THEN......I got my license plates in the mail today...juuuuuust like the one's on my old car......

spacer.png

Even got the "Have you chased a Mustang lately" tag frame on it.

spacer.png

• Like 10

• mustang1989 changed the title to AMT '67 Mustang Fastback-Interior Progress-10/08

I'm intrigued that you kit comes with the centre console whereas my GT350 kit doesn't, I wouldn't have minded fitting one.

James

• Like 1

On 10/11/2021 at 6:58 AM, 81-er said:

I'm intrigued that you kit comes with the centre console whereas my GT350 kit doesn't, I wouldn't have minded fitting one.

James

I was just looking at my GT-350 kit and saw that it does indeed NOT come with the console. Now see......that's just weird for a higher end car like that to not have one. I'll tell you another thing too.....neither the GT mustang or the GT 350 have the overhead consoles. Usually if the car had the lower console then it almost always had the overhead console. 

Hunting through photos of the real things online, it seems the Shelby's usually didn't have the console. Kinda weird, isn't it?

James

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, 81-er said:

Hunting through photos of the real things online, it seems the Shelby's usually didn't have the console. Kinda weird, isn't it?

James

Yeah that does sound odd. I was going to start looking myself for mere research / knowledge purposes this morning as well. I figure if a guy pays that much money for a dang Shelby it outta come with all the bells and whistles.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 81-er said:

You'd kinda hope so. Although, there could be the arguement that they were saving weight for maximum performance

James

LOL!! Yeah but Ford sure did hang alot of extra stuff on these cars that would add to the weight factor. lol 

Progress is still ongoing. Finished the center console and installed the shifter finally. This shifter is meant to replicate the Hurst shifter in my car. I used this shifter from car #2 , pictured below, in my 3rd car as a carryover. Nice short throw shifter it was.

spacer.png

Not to worry about those ejector pin marks on the front floor they'll be covered up by floor mats. Managed to get the gear pattern on the shifter ball.spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 6