AMT '67 Mustang Fastback-Completed 05/16

mustang1989

1 hour ago, AaCee26 said:

You are free to adopt it! ;)

Apologies for continuing OT, but if a kocal constable Reinikainen (he is a local version of the Lousiana sheriff J W Pepper except a nicer chap) has cought V-P near 100 mph he could kiss his driving license for good bye for considerable time!

Cheers,

AaCee 

Fortunately, constable Reinikainen (not related to @reini) was never seen driving a patrol car - at least not in Hämeenperä. Did he drive when he moved to Tampere, or was he always on the co-driver's seat of the Transit? Anyway, violating the personal first year speed limit could lead to temporary ban from driving, plus a fine of course. (In July-August -87) My friend clocked 112km/h in a 50km/h zone... Four months loss of license and a nice sum to pay. His parents forced him to sell his Saab 99 EMS too, which was very sad.

"Niim maan perusteellisesti" :cheers:

• Haha 2

The chassis and proper stance has been the topic of building over the course of the last couple of weeks. One of the things that surprised me was the Fords use of red oxide primer on the bottom side of these cars. Never saw any of that on any of mine but hey....by the time I got those cars it was a good 25 years on down the line. lol

Just an FYI. I did end up getting ahold of Round 2 and asking for the proper Wide Oval white lettered tires. I talked to what sounded like a kid on the phone and it didn't appear that he knew too awful much about the product but was willing to help out. We'll see what I get in the mail.

Chassis in progress without the exhaust on just yet:

spacer.png

Speaking of exhaust systems, I'll be starting on that next so I can get the chassis part of this build behind me. One thing I notice alot of times on the bottom side of completed auto builds is the presence of seams on the exhaust pipes. These tend to be overlooked by some modelers so I thought I'd point these seams out on the exhaust pipes in this kit. There are times that I've built exhaust systems out of solder but on this build I'll be sticking with the kit supplied exhaust.

This is freshly cut from the sprue so you can still see the sprue attachment point but check out those nasty seams on the exhaust pipes. Those......will be disappearing soon. More updates coming over the next few days on this subject.....

spacer.png

• Like 6

• mustang1989 changed the title to AMT '67 Mustang Fastback-Chassis Progress-07/31

I know what you mean about the mould lines on exhausts, and to be honest this is one of the things I tend to fall a bit flat on. I do usually give them a good sanding until I think I've got rid, but there's so many times that they return that often I just lose patience and give up.

nothing wrong with the way your chassis is looking though, red oxide does seem odd but it works well here.

• Like 1

On 8/3/2021 at 6:46 AM, vppelt68 said:

That looks very nice :thumbsup:. V-P

Thanks V-P!! 

Got some work on the engine done. Still need to come back over the engine with a semi gloss coat though. Here's a quick mock up of where I'm at right now.....

spacer.png

• Like 10

• mustang1989 changed the title to AMT '67 Mustang Fastback-Engine Progress-08/06
  • 2 weeks later...

Still at it you guys and I have NOT abandoned this build or the GB for that matter. Just had a lot going on. This weekend my wife and I are getting away for a couple of days just to spend some time together away from all of the constant demands that are on us. It'll be a nice break. 

• Like 5

Alright gang......thanks for all the "likes". Had a GREAT time with my wife just out and about with absolutely no demands on our time. Life's been crazy this year with one thing to do after another and it was sure nice to take a break together. 

Now that we're back home, I am glad to be building on this project again. 

This mornings progress. Still need to paint the breather cap on the rocker cover and the alternator bracket is NOT correct BUT...... I needed to do something with it to keep it from becoming the "mysterious floating alternator". I added a bolt head to the front of the alternator to simulate a through bolt into the adjustment bracket. I'm actually good with this as it adds another touch to the engine. Ignition & charging system electrical wiring coming next.

spacer.png

Edited by mustang1989
  • Like 12

On 8/24/2021 at 7:05 AM, Stef N. said:

Impressive detailing and painting on that engine. Like that a lot. 👍

Glad you had a good break too. It's necessary sometimes. 

Thanks Stef!! So far I'm mostly happy with this part of the build. Not really happy about the absence of an oil filter but.....I'll make up for it elsewhere. 

Edited by mustang1989

• mustang1989 changed the title to AMT '67 Mustang Fastback-Engine Progress-08/24
  • mustang1989 changed the title to AMT '67 Mustang Fastback-Engine Progress-08/26

That engine is looking a bit special now. The alternator brackets put a huge smile on my face, and the very distinctive fuel line looks really good. That part catches my eye every time I look at pictures of these cars, so adding it is a very good idea.

• Thanks 1

• mustang1989 changed the title to AMT '67 Mustang Fastback-Engine Almost There-08/30
  • mustang1989 changed the title to AMT '67 Mustang Fastback-Engine-Last Few Bits-08/31
  • mustang1989 changed the title to AMT '67 Mustang Fastback-Engine-Glamour Shots-09/01
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the like you guys. This build is very near and dear to me. Never got my fastback that I wanted in real life so for the time being this one's gonna have to do. lol 

Started with the OOB panel. Got it adhered onto the chassis of my GT-350 mock up car here just to show what we're starting with.

spacer.png

After 2 attempts at applying the BMF to the brushed aluminum strip on the door and fouling it up right around the door handle area.....I decided to just remove the dang handle altogether and order metal ones from Ted's Modeling Marketplace. I also cut the pocket out of the armrest for the door handle. 

There....that worked out ALOT better for me in terms of getting the aluminum panel to look right.

spacer.png

and then with the chrome strip BMF applied around the door panel insert. 

spacer.png

I had to do something about the swing pedal levers because these are what?? A scale 2 inches wide??? Crazy!!!

spacer.png

I usually cut the pedals from the levers and use needles swung from the rear of the IP and adhere the pedals to the "levers" like on my Maverick build:

spacer.png

But I decided to thin these instead because they are already molded onto the dash and the Maverick had them molded onto the floor.  The accelerator and brake levers here have been thinned and the clutch pedal lever is still OOB to show the difference:

spacer.png

• Like 9

• mustang1989 changed the title to AMT '67 Mustang Fastback-Engine-Interior Progress-09/15

I'm probably not going to meet the deadline on this GB but I'm going to continue building on her till she's done. LOTS of projects around the house that are jumping in front of this one right now. Slow.........but steady here.

On 9/18/2021 at 9:53 AM, TonyW said:

Keep plugging away at it, eventually you will run out of jobs to do, and it will be finished!

My moneys on you being there at the finish line with a finished Mustang.

Tony.

LOL! Thanks Tony. I'm certainly trying man.

Moving on to what is normally my favorite part of the interior....the dash. Again.....this one presents very difficult obstacles. How to BMF that bad boy and NOT get any wrinkles. 

Y'all.....I'm really looking forward to the seats on this one. Deluxe dash panel inserts look like this:

spacer.png

And again....BMF ing this was dang near impossible. I tried chrome silver paint which looked good initially and then over time it did some weird stuff. Set up wrong or something. Anyway it looked like hammered dog crap!!! 

spacer.png

This is where drastic measures are called for. Some may call me crazy for this but hey......ya gotta do what you've gotta do in modeling. I had a spare dash sooooooo. I cut it in half and cut the dash pad/ cover off of it to gain easy access to the outline of the passengers side of the dash for being able to cut a template out of BMF in which to place a perfectly cut BMF piece on that side.

spacer.png

After creating an outline onto the BMF I cut it out to the exact shape and laid 'er into place. Not perfect....but I can live with this alot better than that other job.

spacer.png

I ended up going over the left side of the dash with Molotow chrome and because of its flow properties it made its way into the nooks and crannys of the gauge clusters corners. After the Molotow had dried I shot a uniform coat of MM Acrylic Flat Coat over both sides of the dash trim bringing everything to a uniform finish. I then applied the Mustang medallion to the left side of the dash. Then the decals for the instruments went on and I painted the radio up, applied the chrome to the radio and light switch knobs. Ignition cylinder bezel went on and I inserted the keys into the ignition switch. PE pedal faces went onto the pedals and I picked out the chrome trim around the pedals.

I'm mostly content with this dash despite the difficulties presented with it but....I've had better.

spacer.png

• Like 9

• mustang1989 changed the title to AMT '67 Mustang Fastback-Engine-Interior Progress-09/23

Keys in the ignition switch! Fantastic. 😎  Those pedals look really good as well, yet another detail that gets missed so often.

The devil is in the details.

Right, I'm of to search for scale air for the tires on my builds.

Tony.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1