Rafale B ''Catwoman'' - HobbyBoss 1/72

Cummulus

Hi,

I would like to join this group bild.

I chose HobbyBoss 1/72 Rafale B from the stash. I will add few bits and pieces, Dreammodel PE and Res-Kit exhaust nozzles and wheels.

Here is the customary box content picture:

Kit HB

I fell in love with the ''Catwoman'' the moment I saw the picture of 2009 Tigermeet livery of ECE 5/330 Cote d'Argent. Dreammodel did decal set. I haven't used Dreammodels decals before, so I have to keep my fingers crossed.

Catwoman

I plan to start with the cockpit this weekend.

Cheers!

• Like 14

Few pictures of update I made this weekend.

I started with cockpit. I managed to add PE to the seats and IPs. Dreammodel PE is not Eduard quality, but I'll have to live with that. Wrong numbers in instruction sheet gave me a lot of guesswork.

MBaker

Rafale IP

Fit of the cockpit is not great, some adjustment will be needed. Hobbyboss did not provide control sticks, just featureless blobs. I'll have to made them.

One question: does WSO have control sticks, like pilot? I haven't found any useful pictures of WSO station.

Rafale cockptub

PE were used to create vents on dorsal hump behind cockpit. Kit parts are on the thick side. They messed up these parts on PE fret. They are labeled wrong in istruction sheet and they created two left hand sets. I had to modify starboard vent. After I had assembled them and tried to fit them in place of course...

Rafale vent

I hope cockpit will be ready for primer and paint by end of the week.

Cheers,

Franc

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/14/2021 at 10:51 AM, JOCKNEY said:

Hi @Cummulus

We haven't heard from you in a while, I hope things are OK ?

Cheers Pat 

Hi, Pat.

Summer hollidays are over, time for modelling again! And deadline is creeping in. 

I've been working on multiple components, cockpit, undercarriage, engines and intakes. 

So far ejection seats and cokpit tub with ip panels are ready to glue into fuselage.

Seats color

Cockpit1

Cockpit2

Sorry for the pictures, I am using my phone camera and it's showing its age. 

More progress pics will follow on weekend.

Cheers, 

Frank

• Like 7

Hi, 

Some new progress from this weekend. I glued cockpit tub to the fuselage and added few bits and pieces, like screen on WSO station and HUD frame. I am fairly satisfied...

Kabina gotovo

I painted landing gear and wheel wells with MrPaint Aluminium. I added wires to simulate piping. I have to apply wash.

Gear

Res-Kit engine nozzles are beautifuly detailed, but complicated. Every nozzle have 6 pieces. I sprayed MrPaint black primer and steel. Outer nozzle is sprayed with Revell Antracit. I will try to simulate soot deposits inside afterburner can, according to photos.

ResKit

Trial fitting showed that afterburner cans is to large to fit in holes at the rear of the fuselage. Openings were sanded for smooth fit. At the outer end of afterburners Res-Kit made five slight teeth to assure the right position rotation wise. I cut notches in the fuselage as can be seen on pictures (sorry for my english).

Eng Fit 1

https://flic.kr/p/2muvVP5

I reprofiled wingtip lauch rails, corresponding to article found on 

http://aviapassionmaquette.free.fr/Aviapassion Maquette montage RAFALE B.html 

I carefully cut flaperons to glue them in dropped position as is often on the ground. Dreammodel PE flare cartridges were added to rear fuselage and  and wings to fuselage join cut at the rear. ECM antennas will be fitted there, provided with Res-Kit engine nozzles.

wing

Thanks for watching, all comments are welcome.

• Like 6

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I am slowly moving forward. Catwoman got a coat of MRP grey primer and preshading in areas covered with gray base paint. My freehand airbrushing sucks...

Rafale presehading Down

Rafale presehading Top

I was afraid of Dreammodel decals and I was right. First I scanned them if something went wrong.

Tail was primed with white primer and sprayed with MRP clear gloss. I made a mask with outline of decal. Rest of the tail was airbrushed Hataka Orange line FS36293 and black color.

Then I applied the decals which needed plenty of Micro Sol to stick to the surface. Some sanding and polishing was needed to remove wrinkles of carrier film on the edges.

In the end I am satisfied with the result. Luckily Syhart decals for antennas and NVG lights are much easier to use.

Tail

Thanks for watching.

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

Hataka Haze Grey was sprayed first, followed with AK Real Maize Yellow on areas ''in flames''.

I've been prety confidant that I will be able to finish thir kit before deadline. My confidance was seriously shaken last week, when I had been struggling with paint masks. Numerous tries and repeats were neccesary to get the look I wanted.

Mask

Mask top

MRP Black was sprayed last, Catwoman got almost final look.

Paint top

Paint side

Color underside

She is ready for gloss varnish. And dozens of stencils...

Thanks for looking.

Edited by Cummulus
  • Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

Deadline is here, and I can say that Rafale is finished. Last days were frantic, I cut some corners (eagle eye get the cent for every grey on grey stencil omitted), and I wish I would do some things better.

But, looking back, I can say that was enjoyable build.

So, here she is: Dassault Rafale B, EC 5/330, Tiger Meet 2009, Kleine Brogel.

C1-1

C1-2

C1-3

C1-4

C1-5

I wish to thank fellow modellers for great support during the build.

Thanks for watching,

Frank

• Like 9