What is a Good Paint Match for Corroguard?

Hopefully a simple question from a military modeller dipping his toe into the world of civillain aircraft: Is there a good paint match, either enamel or acrylic, for Corroguard used by Airbus ?

Thank you 

2 hours ago, Richard E said:

Hopefully a simple question from a military modeller dipping his toe into the world of civillain aircraft: Is there a good paint match, either enamel or acrylic, for Corroguard used by Airbus ?

Thank you 

I'm not sure if there's a standard colour for it - it's one of those colours that is different in different lighting conditions.

Here are three photos I took from inside a British Airways A319, and the coroguard ranges from light grey to dark grey:

IMG_9592

IMG_7543

IMG_2479

So, take your pick.

In the instructions for the Revell A319, it suggests Revell 47 mouse grey, which is closest to the dark grey in the last photo.

I bought some coroguard decals for my 747s, which are close to Humbrol 53 and 56, with a dark metallic finish.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Richard E said:

Thank you 

A little pedantic, but Airbus have never used Coroguard on their wings- they use a product called Aeroflex

Coroguard and one of the Aeroflex products contain a high percentage of aluminium in a clear coating which gives it a metallic grey effect which has varying reflectivity depending on the angle of the light source

The other Aeroflex products  appear less metallic and more medium - dark neutral grey. 

As always, check photo's of the aircraft you're modelling (see Airliners.net etc) for colour variation.

Xtracolor do a Coroguard in their range, but you can achieve something similar to photo's by mixing any aluminium paint with a compatible grey to get the shade you're looking for.

• Thanks 1

As Dave Swindell has pointed out, Airbus do not use Coroguard.

The stuff they do use, Aeroflex, is close to RAL 7004 in colour and I normally use Revell Aqua 36374 to represent it. (You can get the same colour in enamel as Revell 374). See this thread for some further discussion.

Coroguard isn't a colour as such and it varies widely depending on lighting conditions, wear and tear etc. If I have to replicate it I usually do a by-the-eye mix of Tamiya XF16 and XF-56 and you can see the result here if you're interested.

Dave G

• Thanks 2

I found Hycote's Aluminium Coat at work which is used by HGV companies to paint wheels. I checked with Hycote's technical department and they said it is aluminium powder in a clear lacquer. I have yet to try it out but it produces a light grey gloss finish with a metallic hint, a bit like a mica finish but that is with it applied directly to bare aluminium and steel wheels.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...