Painting raised text on plastic

FrankJ

Not really sure where I should post this question as I'm in the middle of building  Yamaha xv100 Virago motor bike which I know should be in vehicles forum but as my question relates to a method of painting I thought I'd try here first.

The picture below is supposed to be painted with semi-Gloss Black but the writing (Virago) to be to  be painted in Gold Leaf which will need a fine point brush which I have, the logo on the fuel tank was bad enough but this seems impossible, I can barely read it let alone paint it. I'm using Tamiya paints.

Anyone have a tip to highlight the writing or forget it and paint the lot simi gloss black?

Decals would have been better in this case.🙄

51313265206_7c3589d1eb_b.jpg

Hi Frank,

I also have not tried their gold. It seems a simple solution. Although if it was me I would be using a Kolinksky Sable brush, a No.1 to hold paint yet still superfine tip and Gunze metallics. 

Ray 

• Like 1

You could always paint the logo first, then paint the background, and while it's still wet, wipe off the new paint to expose the chrome/gold.  You might have to put a clear acrylic varnish between layers if you're using enamels, but you get the idea :)

Speaking personally, I'd use a 000 W&N Series 7 to very carefully paint it by hand, but then I've always been a glutton for punishment ^_^

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mike said:

Speaking personally, I'd use a 000 W&N Series 7 to very carefully paint it by hand, but then I've always been a glutton for punishment ^_^

I'm with you Mike but use bigger Kolinkskys because they keep an exceptionally fine tip and plenty of body in the brush. I love my Kolinkskys almost as much as my Iwatas. 

• Like 1