1/48 Tamiya Me-262a1 "White 3"

I've been wanting to build this aircraft for a very long time and have had two in my stash and I started a build thread on it here but got overrun with projects at home so I didn't have time to post the build on every forum that I was on. Finally got caught up enough to post the finished build here though. I really wished I wouldn't have gotten rid of my Dragon Me-262A-1a Nachtjager version but this Tamiya A-1 kit was a good kit to build. I had set out to build Franz Stigler's plane from JV-44 late in the war. I read Adam Makos' book , A Higher Call several years ago and he was one of the main people that the story centered around. Long story short....he was going to shoot down a severely shot up B-17 and decided to lead them out of Germany instead. Afterwards he was assigned to JV-44 (pretty much Germany's last remaining fully operational air defense unit which was made up of the very best remaining fighter pilots) where he flew this aircraft. If you haven't read this book I won't give anything away but I'll just say that is a very powerful read.

The kit is one that has been around for a while from Tamiya:

spacer.png

There are a couple of schemes that could've been his bird but this is the one here that I went with as it just looks so dang cool....

spacer.png

spacer.png

I used Vallejo acrylics to replicate the paint and went with Eagle Cals for 95% of the markings and Peddinghaus for the #3 numerals on the side. Note.....never use the Peddinhaus offerings. Other than the #3 the stencils and other markings were just way out of scale. I had some trouble with the windscreen ended up removing it, sanding the fuselage and windscreen joints to get a better fit but that was about the only problem I had out of this awesome kit.

Anyhow....after 6+ months...here is the completed build:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by mustang1989
  • Like 38
  • Thanks 1

well rendered! The cammo scheme yu chose is very cool as you suggested! I'm always amazed at how well these German cammo schemes are executed by other BM members. They are , to my mind, very complex and difficult to do convincingly. I don't feel my airbrush skills are good enough to produce your excellent results! Maybe with a bit more practice... lol thanks for showing this . Love the wheel well detail too.

Regards, Andy

• Thanks 1

That is a beautiful 262! I am most impressed with the dense fuselage mottling- that is some world class airbrush work! The wheel bays look correct, but you might want to adjust the sit of the RH inner gear fairing door- looks a little crooked. Other than that, it's perfect!

Mike

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Werdna said:

Great work - well done :) 

I've only ever built the Hobbyboss 262, not the Tamiya.  This looks impressive though..

Thank you very much. I've given thought to building the Hobbyboss U4 variant. How well does that kit build up? 

18 hours ago, VolkerR. said:

Excellent camo!

Thanks Volker!! 

17 hours ago, mick said:

great work

I appreciate that Mick! 

14 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

Very nice indeed. Your airbrushing skills helped create a very realistic replica.

Cheers,

Bill

Thanks Bill! It was indeed a paint job filled with alot of love and labor. lol

14 hours ago, Electric Indigo said:

Very nice scheme & excellent execution!

Thanks EI!!! 

14 hours ago, Col Walter E Kurtz said:

well rendered! The cammo scheme yu chose is very cool as you suggested! I'm always amazed at how well these German cammo schemes are executed by other BM members. They are , to my mind, very complex and difficult to do convincingly. I don't feel my airbrush skills are good enough to produce your excellent results! Maybe with a bit more practice... lol thanks for showing this . Love the wheel well detail too.

Regards, Andy

Thank you Andy!! I thought I was gonna go cross eyed there for a bit on this paint job. lol Took me a couple of tries.

10 hours ago, Walter said:

Fantastic work 

'Preciate that Walter!! 

9 hours ago, 72modeler said:

That is a beautiful 262! I am most impressed with the dense fuselage mottling- that is some world class airbrush work! The wheel bays look correct, but you might want to adjust the sit of the RH inner gear fairing door- looks a little crooked. Other than that, it's perfect!

Mike

Thanks Mike!! Looks like you're just up the road....'er ....highway from me here in Corpus!! Pretty sure we've attended the same Model Fiesta Show in San Antonio a time or two.  I'll go back and see how to go about that. I'm afraid of laying a hand near it now after it's completed. lol 

20 minutes ago, mustang1989 said:

Thank you very much. I've given thought to building the Hobbyboss U4 variant. How well does that kit build up? 

Overall pretty well.  It requires careful trimming of the lugs which hold the nose assembly into the fuselage - they are too long, which means the two halves will not close properly if not trimmed.  Also, the gun bays are designed to be posed open, so if you plan on closing it up, I would suggest leaving all the interior detail in the box.  The panels may not fit flush otherwise.  Same with the canopy - if you want it closed you will need to trim the lugs which are designed to pose it open.  All relatively minor stuff, but still a good kit.

2 hours ago, mustang1989 said:

Thanks Volker!! 

I appreciate that Mick! 

Thanks Bill! It was indeed a paint job filled with alot of love and labor. lol

Thanks EI!!! 

Thank you Andy!! I thought I was gonna go cross eyed there for a bit on this paint job. lol Took me a couple of tries.

'Preciate that Walter!! 

Thanks Mike!! Looks like you're just up the road....'er ....highway from me here in Corpus!! Pretty sure we've attended the same Model Fiesta Show in San Antonio a time or two.  I'll go back and see how to go about that. I'm afraid of laying a hand near it now after it's completed. lol 

I'm sure we have crossed modeling paths a time or two! I was one of the founding members and first president of the Alamo Squadron IPMS chapter , and was active in the club for over twenty years. I did the contest fliers and artwork for the plaques given out at the annual contest. which is the longest continuous running competition in Region V!! Nice to see a fellow Texan aboard. (We are slowly but surely infiltrating the BM ranks!)

Mike

PS- are they taking good care of the Lexington? Haven't been down there to see her in a while!

• Like 1

On 7/16/2021 at 8:37 AM, 72modeler said:

I'm sure we have crossed modeling paths a time or two! I was one of the founding members and first president of the Alamo Squadron IPMS chapter , and was active in the club for over twenty years. I did the contest fliers and artwork for the plaques given out at the annual contest. which is the longest continuous running competition in Region V!! Nice to see a fellow Texan aboard. (We are slowly but surely infiltrating the BM ranks!)

Mike

PS- are they taking good care of the Lexington? Haven't been down there to see her in a while!

Ya know.....I haven't been on that ship in years. I may just have to go check her out and while I'm at it look at the scale model display area as well. 

On 7/16/2021 at 8:48 AM, Red Dog said:

Agree with what others have said about the beautiful airbrushing of the mottling. Superb.

Thanks alot Red Dog!! 

On 7/16/2021 at 9:10 AM, Serkan Sen said:

A masterpiece of the legendary aircraft. Congratulations...

Serkan

Thank you Serkan!! Really appreciate that.

23 hours ago, F-32 said:

Love that, very nice indeed

Thanks buddy!! 

18 hours ago, russ c said:

Really nice `262, great job

Thank you Russ!!

4 hours ago, robgizlu said:

Can only agree - cracking looking 262.

Rob

I appreciate your comments as well Rob!! 

• Like 1