Alternate to Testors Model Master Enamals

Sydhuey

Ok I have used almost exclusively for years Model Master paints, I like going straight to the ANA or Mil spec number , well after Testors announced they were dropping them I promptly buried my head in the sand and said ," Ah stock will last, i'll be ok", well it hasn't and I have to look for new paints as most stores here in Australia are just about out of stock ,what do most guys use now ? Thanks 

If you want to stick to enamel, you have the choice down here of Humbrol, Tamiya, Revell and Colourcoats (which can be bought from Creative Models in Sydney https://www.creativemodels.com.au/). I rarely used Model Master enamel, though I found the acrylic fairly good (not as good as Pollyscale though).

Out of those available, I have found the Colourcoats to be good (but expensive, and depending on stock availability), the Revell to be consistent (except for the metals that, for some reason, didn't work), Tamiya to be ok but weak adhesion, and Humbrol...... Humbrol is a special case. I can get tins of the stuff that are legendary, while other tins are totally unusable. On the flipside, Humbrols are just about sold everywhere.

Hi Syd,

sapperastro has all you brands covered. I agree with his comments except I've never had any issue with Tamiya enamel adhesion.

There are a couple of sources with old Testors stock -

Aeroworks in SA was clearing out their remaining stock and still had a reasonable supply. The prices were heavily discounted so would be quite reasonable even with postage:

A list was made in May he posted on his facebook page. By now a lot would have been sold but there may still be some you're interested in:

e.g: https://www.facebook.com/AeroWorksAustralia/photos/a.506914952696849/3929834740404836/?type=3&theater

Also in Vic we have Andrew's Scale Models (online only - he used to have a shop but that closed down a couple of years ago). Limited range but still a good variety

https://andrewsscalemodels.com.au/product-category/paints-glues-accessories/testors-enamels/page/2/

Cheers

Michael

Edited by Michael louey
typos

On 7/16/2021 at 4:21 PM, Michael louey said:

Aeroworks in SA was clearing out their remaining stock and still had a reasonable supply.

Hi Michael,

You wouldn't know their email address would you? I wanted to send them an email to see what MM Acryls they still had, but couldn't for the life of me find it online.

Any love for AK Real colour paints? I’m still not quite sure if they are enamels or (more likely) solvent based like Tamiya, however they seem to have a large range of colours and are no more expensive than other brands - all be it, mail order for me. 
Cheers.. Dave 

1 hour ago, sapperastro said:

Hi Michael,

You wouldn't know their email address would you? I wanted to send them an email to see what MM Acryls they still had, but couldn't for the life of me find it online.

Hi,

I normally just phone Craig on the number on his facebook page to order however in this case due to the size of the order I got his email to send a list for review. I'll PM you his email to keep it from being public.

Cheers

Michael

I'm an enamel guy and my two favorite paints are Colourcoats and Xtracolour, though I do have a healthy stock of Humbrol and MM enamels as well as some Revell, I treat them all the same, thin them with Xtracolor thinner at 50:50 and airbrush them. I do not know what the supply situation is over there now as I used to live in Sydney and got my paints from Snowy Mountain Models or from Hannants. I believe both of those routes are now closed though.

Cheers

Dennis