How To Use Washes?

fishplanebeer

Since returning to the hobby at the end of last year I'm still coming to grips with the many changes and innovations that have occurred during my absence and perhaps the most confusing is the use of washes to weather an aircraft.

To date I've used home made washes to run into panel lines, remembering to apply a spirit based wash onto an acrylic surface, and used pastels for smoke and gun stains plus simulating dirt/mud on tyres. However I've come across various washes from the likes of Mig, Florys and Humbrol but have no idea what they can be best used for and how to go about applying them. Basic stuff perhaps to those better informed and more up to date but still a mystery to myself, so before I splash out on some and then use them incorrectly I'm hoping someone could give me some simple pointers here please. I'm not after trade secrets just some simple advice on how best to use them and perhaps a suggestion on which one(s) are the best out there.

For example I'd like to find a method of toning down the paint work to make it look a little more lived in but would washes be the way to go by spraying them in a mist over the model perhaps?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Colin.

I have recently been impressed by the versatility of oils for all kinds of weathering. There's a good overview of different techniques on the Inner Nerd`s video build of an RAF Phantom here.....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ABABT2Nf4dI

The build clearly shows the methods for getting a variety of results - I learned a lot!

In essence, use well thinned oils on top of gloss finishes / varnish for panel line washes and picking out engraved details. The gloss surface will allow the wash to flow into the detail lines.

A satin varnish surface will grip the oils more - denser spots of colour can be worked into a surface with a stippling action - I use an old firm brush with the hairs cut short. This can highlight panels and surface features. Whole panels can similarly be lightened or darkened for tonal variation, sun bleaching effect etc. Spots of undiluted colour can be dotted then smeared with a flat brush moistened with thinners to create streaks. Have a look at the video - much easier than trying to read my garbled explanation!

Let us know how you get on.

Q

• Thanks 1

An age old method of weathering vehicles and AFVs is to spray an overall coat of buff, grey or brown enamel wash. I've used Humbrol dark earth in the past to tone down aircraft paint schemes and markings, but the wash needs to be VERY dilute - in effect, tinted thinner. 

Dry pigments gently brushed on with a large soft brush can also be used to quickly and easily add a bit of grubbiness. This technique can be used alongside panel line washes. And you can just wash them off if it all goes pear-shaped! 

• Thanks 1