Fw190D-9 - inner gear doors?

Werdna

Well, I always thought not.  But this pic I found earlier - of what appears to be a D-9 - seems to suggest otherwise...

GjRpINy.jpg

Any thoughts?  The Ta152 had inner doors, but this ain't a Ta152H or C.

The other thing to say about this pic is that it bears some similarities to WNr 213097, which famously had bare metal gun cowls, of which a couple of pics exists, supposedly taken at Flensburg in spring 45.

But anyway - it's quite possible I'm missing something, but the pic is new to me, so I thought it worthy of discussion.  Even if nothing else, it's a great guide for weathering patterns ;) 

Link to picture source here: https://www.worldwarphotos.info/gallery/germany/aircrafts-2/fw190d/fw-190d-9-nose/

The aircraft in the picture is the Focke Wulf Fw 190 V53 Werknummer 170003 stammkennzeichen DU+JC which was a Focke Wulf Fw 190 D-9 converted from a Fw 190 A-8.The same picture is in the model art (?) book about the Fw 190 D-9-Ta 152.

Saluti

Giampiero

Edited by GiampieroSilvestri
  • Like 3

You may be right.  However, there are a couple of pics of V53/DU+JC in the Nowarra book which appear to show a different engine cover than the one shown in the above pic.  The pics I have seen of V53 show an unpainted engine cover, but with black hi-temp paint around the exhaust area - none of which is apparent in the above pic.  Also, there is no evidence of inner gear covers on the pics I have of V53, although it's possible they could have been closed.  Of course, it's also possible that the engine covers could have been changed, too.

4 hours ago, GiampieroSilvestri said:

The aircraft in the picture is the Focke Wulf Fw 190 V53 Werknummer 170003 stammkennzeichen DU+JC which was a Focke Wulf Fw 190 D-9 converted from a Fw 190 A-8.The same picture is in the model art (?) book about the Fw 190 D-9-Ta 152.

Saluti

Giampiero

But weren't the inner gear doors eliminated around the time the Fw190-A5 came around?

A prototype is just that - a hand-assembled trials horse that, almost by definition, can be VERY different from a service machine. And the W. Nr. of the V53 indicates that the fuselage was originally an A-8, but the wing may well have come from an earlier machine.

In theory, just about any Fw 190 could mount either the operating inner wheel well doors, or the smaller fixed inserts required when a centerline rack was mounted. But I've never seen a photo of any operational 190 after the A-6 variant, with the hinged doors actually in place.

Edited by MDriskill
  • Like 5