Tamiya FAA Corsair II 1/48

Hello,

here are some photos of my latest build,a Tamiya F4U -1A Corsair in 1/48 scale converted to a FAA Corsair II using MDC resin set for propeller and external tank,True details wheels,shark fin pitot from Master,Quikboost  resin engine and Eduard pe set for cockpit. Painted with Xtracolor paints.Decals came from xtradecal range except the roundels above which I painted and stencils came from Techmod.

XWtOabi.jpgnrGYiLR.jpg

2MDdxH0.jpg

Edited by Elias
  • Like 58
  • Thanks 5

What's not to like? it's a Corsair; it's a Tamiya kit, and it's in TSS! Beautifully built, painted, and weathered, too. I have read that the belly window was deleted beginning with F4U-1A BuNo 500066  and FG-1A BuNo 13892. I don't have any data on the Corsairs supplied to the FAA- did you find information regarding the belly window on the -1A you built?

Mike

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

WOW,.... that is most definitely one of the best Fleet Air Arm Corsair`s that I have seen,..... the finish is especially brilliant. 

One slight niggle,.....or nit pick,..... sorry,.. I`m sure you`ll understand that I`m not willy waving or trying to get one up, jus trying to help ,...... especially as I`ve actually missed them off myself plenty of times too in the past,.... but you`ve not represented the air  vent intakes in the rear fuselage sides and underside,.... which is so very easily done. This post cover them;

That  very small issue aside,...... what a superb model!

Cheers

Tony

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thats a lovely corsair. I agree with some of the points raised above but you have done a great job👍.Good old 1833 Sqn a/c flown by the boss.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, tonyot said:

WOW,.... that is most definitely one of the best Fleet Air Arm Corsair`s that I have seen,..... the finish is especially brilliant. 

One slight niggle,.....or nit pick,..... sorry,.. I`m sure you`ll understand that I`m not willy waving or trying to get one up, jus trying to help ,...... especially as I`ve actually missed them off myself plenty of times too in the past,.... but you`ve not represented the air  vent intakes in the rear fuselage sides and underside,.... which is so very easily done. This post cover them;

That  very small issue aside,...... what a superb model!

Cheers

Tony

Thanks for your comments Tony!

I know about the present of the air vents and have the MDC set but i couldn't find out where to put them.The MDC instructions 

were a bit confusing,so i let them out.

Can you provide me some photos that clearly shows their position?

Edited by Elias
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, exdraken said:

did not know there were Corsairs with British roundels on!

It was the FAA pilots that figured out the best way to land a Corsair aboard a carrier, which allowed Vought to make some modifications to the undercart and permitted the Navy to deploy them on our carriers, instead of just being land-based Marine aircraft. Good show, chaps!

Mike

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, mick b said:

Excellent model Elias, deserves more images posting? Which squadron do the markings represent?

Mike

Thanks for your comment!

It represents an aircraft from 1833 NAS

9 minutes ago, Elias said:

IIRC, we had a good discussion on that very topic with good photos- you could look for it...curse you,  maddening Britmodeller search engine! (Now I've done it- Julien and/or Mike are going to give me such a pranging!) :giggle:

Mike

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Elias said:

Thanks for your comments Tony!

I know about the present of the air vents and have the MDC set but i couldn't find out where to put them.The MDC instructions 

were a bit confusing,so i let them out.

That post that I sent to you has diagrams,..... also look on line for pics of the Corsair at Yeovilton. 

Some good pics here;

https://www.largescaleplanes.com/walkaround/wk.php?wid=103

Corsair KD431 - Yeovilton October 2009

https://intscalemodeller.com/viewtopic.php?t=17589

This book is also a superb reference;

https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-KD431-Preserving-Capsule-Revisited/dp/0750990414

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Nachtwulf said:

Now I will have to poorly replicate that using my meager skills. Well done!

Nah- piece of cake! For the LH and RH intakes, clip the tip off of a suitably sized spare bomb half and turn the front  end to face forward- the rear will be open, just like the real thing! Or, you could cut a piece of plastic tubing and round the back off. The bottom vent is a little harder- a carburetor scoop from a Do-17Z looks pretty close, or make one out of three suitably shaped pieces of plasticard, rounded off. They re pretty small, even in 1/48 scale!

Mike

This just in! Now that I have had a chance to examine the closeup photos that @tonyot posted of the FAA Museum Corsair, I amend my suggestions for making them. They are not true 'D' shaped intakes/vents  as they appear in the profile views, but are more 'L' shaped, so the bomb half method won't be accurate. The intakes from a Do-17Z are closer, but I think if you take an 'L' shaped section of sprue from a kit runner, it could be re-shaped to the proper contour and the opening drilled/reamed out.  I apologize for my ignorance! (Been doing that a lot, lately!) :sorry:

Mike

Edited by 72modeler
added text
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1