GAF Jindvik 1/72 - Royal Australian Navy

Andrew, she's absolutely gorgeous! As a repeat builder of HPM kits I'm amazed at the beautiful result you've achieved - the intake looks immaculate. Bravo!

This thread, and the film, have got me very curious to learn more about the Jindivik. The flying portion really opened my eyes, I can't imagine flying an aircraft in that fashion! Today's UAV/UAS operators have no idea how good they have it!

• Like 1

Gidday Andrew, from memory of long ago I thought the Jindivik was a much lighter orange, but obviously my memory can't be relied upon 100%. That photo with the Skyhawk is rather conclusive. 👍 She's looking very good and very neat. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, k5054nz said:

Andrew, she's absolutely gorgeous! As a repeat builder of HPM kits I'm amazed at the beautiful result you've achieved - the intake looks immaculate. Bravo!

This thread, and the film, have got me very curious to learn more about the Jindivik. The flying portion really opened my eyes, I can't imagine flying an aircraft in that fashion! Today's UAV/UAS operators have no idea how good they have it!

Thank you so much. I'm really fond of the kit and how it has turned out. There's a few little things I'd do again - the orange coat hi-lighted a few imperfections around the leading wing edges - but it's too late now to revisit that. The film was an eye-opener for me as well. They were certainly a stunning piece of technology. 

3 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday Andrew, from memory of long ago I thought the Jindivik was a much lighter orange, but obviously my memory can't be relied upon 100%. That photo with the Skyhawk is rather conclusive. 👍 She's looking very good and very neat. Regards, Jeff.

Thanks Jeff. The colour has a lot to do with lighting and film type / white balance etc. They could well have appeared different in real life but I agree the one with the Skyhawk is a rich orange colour. I'll use a better camera for the RFI photos which may make it appear a little different.

Andrew 

• Like 1

On 7/20/2021 at 10:17 AM, abat said:

Wow, thanks Bob for your insights and background information. The colour information is really useful. The High Planes instructions have the RAN trolley finished in aluminium paint which agrees with some walk around photos of Australian Jindiviks I've seen. I might touch up my hoses in black though. It also calls for Dayglo Fire Orange for the airframe I'm modelling. I'll be using a white undercoat and will run a few tests with the paint I'm intending to use (Lifecolor LC23 Fluro Orange) before committing. 

Nice to hear about the Alleycat kit in 1/48. I build solely in 1/72 at present but that may change one day. 

Andrew

Andrew

Here's some of my (very poor) images from the last year of RAN Jindy operations (iirc 1997).  I worked on them for about 9 months near the end.  They are good enough to see the colours of the trolley

jindygd1.jpg

jindygd2.jpg

jindyto1.jpg

jindyto2.jpg

jindyto3.jpg

Edited by Calum
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Calum said:

Here's some of my (very poor) images from the last year of RAN Jindy operations (iirc 1997).  I worked on them for about 9 months near the end.  They are good enough to see the colours of the trolley

Thanks Calum, that’s brilliant. 

Hi again Andrew, 

your jindivik is coming along nicely. I have just read that a Jindivik mk 3 is now residing at Newark Museum (708) it had been at Bristol after LLanbedr closed down. I have actually worked on that very one when it was in service. From the photograph of it , it looks very weather beaten. I dare say it will appear all painted up in the near future and be on the museum's  web site.

I look forward to seeing your's mounted on it's trolley. I think the photo you posted has possibly ground lock pins fitted, the orange may be remove before flight flags? They do not seem to appear on the photo's Calum posted when the Jindivik was on it's take off run.

I am pretty sure that the Americans operated them as well. 

Again, a pretty impressive looking model,

Bob

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Victor K2 said:

Hi again Andrew, 

your jindivik is coming along nicely. I have just read that a Jindivik mk 3 is now residing at Newark Museum (708) it had been at Bristol after LLanbedr closed down. I have actually worked on that very one when it was in service. From the photograph of it , it looks very weather beaten. I dare say it will appear all painted up in the near future and be on the museum's  web site.

I look forward to seeing your's mounted on it's trolley. I think the photo you posted has possibly ground lock pins fitted, the orange may be remove before flight flags? They do not seem to appear on the photo's Calum posted when the Jindivik was on it's take off run.

I am pretty sure that the Americans operated them as well. 

Again, a pretty impressive looking model,

Bob

Hi Bob, good to know about the new exhibit at Newark. It’s nice when you come across something you’ve worked in a museum setting. You’re right about the remove before flight tags. I’ve seen those before in 1/72 scale but don’t unfortunately have any myself. 
Andrew

Fine modelling work happening there! Congrats!  I've seen the Jindivik on display at QAM (Caloundra, Queensland, Australia) and have eyed it off as a modelling subject.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ianwau said:

Fine modelling work happening there! Congrats!  I've seen the Jindivik on display at QAM (Caloundra, Queensland, Australia) and have eyed it off as a modelling subject.

Thanks. It's been a very enjoyable build.

Andrew