Hasegawa Lancia Stratos "Alitalia"

Background:

The Alitalia Lancia Stratos HF. One of the most iconic rally cars ever, in one of the most iconic liveries ever. What's not to like or build? Although it sat in the stash for 5 years before building because the decal work put me off. I'd been tackling increasingly fiddly decal work by this point, so it's time has come. It looks good both with and without the detachable front light pod cover.

Pros:

Good shape and proportions. Fits together mostly without problems. Decals sheet is nicely printed. The addition of a small rubber sheet and template for the mudflaps is a nice touch, as is the metal aerial. Unlike a lot of Hasegawa rally kits, this one feels intended to be the rally version from the get-go, as opposed to a modified road-car kit. Although that may be due to the nature of the two versions similarity more than anything else.

Cons:

The instructions could be better. Combining so many parts into each step makes for a lot of "where does this go exactly" lines to follow from part to position. Also the order of assembly is nothing like any modeller would actually follow unless they'd decided to not paint any of the model - despite the instructions indicating painting. For the kit itself - oddly there's no rollcage although since it'd be a) tiny and b) black, it's not like it's an especially noticeable absence. The fit of the body over the chassis is very tight and awkward. There's also no engine.

Verdict:

Moderate difficulty - mainly because of all the decalling work and body fit. Otherwise an easy build and one that gets an excellent result using only what's supplied in the box. Nicely moulded, well proportioned and therefore the expected Hasegawa quality.

Build notes:

Completed over 3 weeks in June/July 2021, I began this build on my 48th birthday. Mostly built out-of-the-box aside from a few extra wires for the canopy pins. Painted in Tamiya TS-26 Pure White and clearcoated with Mr Hobby Premium Top-Coat Gloss.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

A trilogy of 2021-built rally classics, of which the Celica still holds the crown for best quality of build.

spacer.png

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

I have this kit myself and a couple times I thought about starting it but looked at the decals combined with the louvres and found something else to build.  Great job.  I also never realised how small the car was until I saw your last photo.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Toftdale said:

I also never realised how small the car was until I saw your last photo.  

That's right, it's a pretty small car. A great one to build if you're short on shelf space.

• Haha 1

• 4 months later...

Sorry I missed this the first time around, remember the WiP well, some very nice work there. I've since taken delivery of the Safari Rally boxing, there will be some checking back to your WiP come the day. I'll be chuffed if it turns out as well as this one. :)

Steve.

• Like 1