Erich Hartmann's last 109: Revell's 1:32 Bf 109G-10 Erla

Hello guys!

I just received a notification from a domestic seller that my Bf 109G-10 Erla in 32nd scale from Revell is on its way to my local post office.

The kit has markings for two versions: Erich Hartmann's last Messerschmitt, and Yellow 7. I'll be building it as Hartmann's machine and put it alongside his G-6 from Hasegawa.

I learnt a lot from the G-6 Late & Early (from Revell too), and will apply my findings (such as loose landing gear struts and fragile tailwheel strut) into play with this model. I hope I don't slash the tailwheel strut with my hand this time.

The model should be arriving next week if everything goes according to the delivery schedule.

Until that, here's a downloaded photo from Google of the kit's boxart.

vmxUQbc.jpg

• Like 2

Well gents, here it is, the kit finally arrived safe and sound. The seller however, didn't place any protection inside the box, and the parcel was illtreated by the postal service. Luckily nothing came loose from the sprues or broke away. The back of the box is also torn for some reason.

Here's the boxart:

N3QVemo.jpg

Wheels and propellers:

RuWn8x3.jpg

Clear parts:

heN7DoL.jpg

Wheel covers and rudder:

H1qNPWO.jpg

Fuselage halves:

A5ZrYC5.jpg

Decals:

7eoRXsP.jpg

Edited by Sturmovik
  • Like 4

Hello guys, I made more progress today with the Erla. I built up the cockpit and painted it in Revell 78 Tank Grey. 

The seat came with moulded on belts, so these were picked out with light grey and silver buckles.

XeD7OL3.jpg

Auxiliary fuel tank lines paintef yellow:

o60sCPk.jpg

Instrument panel painted in RLM 66 with black bezels. Here's a photo of all the cockpit parts (without the gunsight) ready for gluing.

hfpf2sy.jpg

Cockpit finished and wingspar glued:

VRO52dC.jpg

• Like 1

I managed to sneak my way into the workbench today, and glued the cockpit to the fuselage, and both fuselage halves together.

7gJ75Sw.jpg

This time, I payed closer attention to the instructions, and glued the correct radiator.

mRkBu6J.jpg

The gear bays assembly may look daunting at first, but it builds up nicely if you follow the instructions.

l1s0ves.jpg

The wings go together:

Q8wzw37.jpg

One of the mysteries I had with the G-6 kit, was on the installation of the fuel tank rack. Revell showed open holes for them, but the piece was solid. On this build, the instructions showed the same, but I casually checked the underside of piece 185, anf lo and behold, the holes were there (flashed over). I opened them up, and then glued the rack into place.

7CZP9Xg.jpg

S98Ia5d.jpg

kEf78SB.jpg

klgkccp.jpg

That's it for today guys. The plane is actually in the painting stage. I'll try to gloss it up today, and we'll see about applying the decals tomorrow. Hopefully, the tulips will behave and set easily into the model.

Edited by Sturmovik
  • Like 1

Today's time at the workbench was dedicated to installing the wings and empennage:

Iv6ikED.jpg

yQBwJla.jpg

3yc6JmS.jpg

e2OTycv.jpg

I don't really like the way Revell designed the stabilizers, rudder and flaps. They can be left unglued so they can be positionable, but the fit is loose on all of them, so I just glued them in the neutral position and the flaps in the down position.

7j5MRRZ.jpg

DjbIItQ.jpg

bYmSFof.jpg

Edited by Sturmovik
  • Like 1

Finally, the stage you've all been waiting for! Painting!

Bf 109's spine painted in RLM 75.

GaTUk9E.jpg

RLM 82 and 76:

uDL8PBN.jpg

Mottling:

hnhUb9D.jpg

SPNBlZ7.jpg

To avoid paint ridges, I painted the wings entirely in RLM 75, and then in 82.

8ITx2ih.jpg

QQ8fooz.jpg

Undersides painted in RLM 76.

PqCLq1c.jpg

And glossed up:

Mh8I81e.jpg

I'll start decalling later today. Hope the tulips behave and settle down on the nose's curves.

• Like 1

Quick update: The kit was finished today, but the RFI photos are on hold until the tailwheel strut finishes drying. The shaft that holds the tailwheel into its slot is very flimsy, and I broke it again by accident.

I managed to add the decals to the model yesterday.

I began with the tulips, knowing that if their application went south, I'd still have the decals for Yellow 7 from JG300 to try again. Luckily the tulips behaved (after three coats of Microsol), and then added the remaining decals.

phVjbbp.jpg

5XvHht0.jpg

8QEKmix.jpg

Fast forward to this afternoon, I gave the model a matt coat and installed the landing gear struts.

H9Z44dd.jpg

I also painted the fuel tank with Revell 91 Steel.

Yy0j0t3.jpg

cniGUs3.jpg

Wheels added.

HeJcb4V.jpg

q8z0Y0O.jpg

It was after this photo that the tailwheel strut broke, so I left the part dry overnight.

aBVeawG.jpg

Photos in the RFI soon!