Shinden 1/48 Hasegawa

Once again, I have a fellow forumite to thank for this build. So thankyou very much @Pete in Lincsfor letting this one go from the stash.

I'm looking to build some Japanese birds, and other SEA stuff, so what better place to start than this odd ball aircraft. 

The cockpit had already been assembled, not by @Pete in Lincs but from its other previous owner. I pulled the seat off no problem, I found the control stick rattling around in the bottom of the box along with the rudder pedals.

Gave it a new quick lick of paint, in probably the totally wrong colour, but I'm not to fussed about cockpit detail on this one. I think I get hung up on details sometimes, and even with the best intentions, even at 1/48 sometimes it's just not worth it. 

So blasted it all with the airbrush, Susan is still blue from the corsair, which is a little fun project I'm messing with (hasn't been shelved) 

20210713_192302

Re assembled everything, painted the bottle red again, put some silver on the back of the seat, dry brushed some silver on, gave it a quick splash of black oil paint wash, dry brushed the instruments. 

20210713_214711 20210713_214741

With very little fettling, and the help of some rubberised clothes pegs, the build almost fell together. Quite a joy to work with actually. Some parts were almost compression fit. 

The previous owner had begun to scribe the flaps, ready to pose them down I suppose. Over the years they have 'sagged' a little, and had begun to look open by themselves. So only a little extra care needed to make sure they were glued back together. Cue more clothes pegs and probably a bit of sanding at a later stage. 

20210713_231348

20210713_231359

Sorry for the poor photography. 

90% of the build done already. Just have to sort the landing gear, canopy and the prop. 

Oh yea the prop. The nose cone is missing. 🙁

Tips on scratch building one? Might look in the spares box, possibly cut the nose of a 1/32 bomb? 

Anyway, thanks for looking. 

🐧

• Like 4

The Shinden is one of those aircraft that looks futuristic no matter the time period. It's also my favourite Japanese aircraft.

You could try to track down the J7W2 variant which comes with resin parts for the jet version AND has the propeller driven parts.

Edited by Sturmovik
  • Like 1

Just now, Sturmovik said:

The Shinden is one of those aircraft that looks futuristic no matter the time period. It's also my favourite Japanese aircraft.

Yea, I had to explain to the ever suffering better 3/4s that it flew in 'this' 👈 direction. She looked at me like I'd built it wrong 😂

• Haha 2

48 minutes ago, Sturmovik said:

You could try to track down the J7W2 variant which comes with resin parts for the jet version AND has the propeller driven parts.

Jet version you say? 

Added some preshadimg

2021-07-15_07-00-52

A coin cell turned out to be pretty much the right size for the rising sun's. Mask made by simply tracing around one with a blade on doubled up masking tape. 

20210715_192550

Sprayed too heavy on the underside lost the preshading. 

20210715_192616

Think ill do some post shading now, especially the underside. 

I'm thinking of using a lighter colour on the upper surfaces to pick out some panels etc. It seems a little dark and flat. 

I suppose since this plabe only ever flew for a total of 45 minutes, this could be a bit of a whiff. 

I'll have a bash later, I'm off to get my 5G topped up 😉

Thanks for looking 

🐧

• Like 2

Looks lovely. Did you paint the Hinomarus?

And be careful with that undercarriage; its very, very fragile.

I've been planning a conversion using the Hasegawa kit to build a Yokosuka MXY-6 (The Shinden Proof of Concept aircraft). It was of same shape and size, but made of wood and painted with orange-yellow. It would look great side by side with a Shinden.

I guess you guys have seen this:

The pilot with a white scarf at 1:02 is the designer, Masaoki Tsuruno, who made the first, unsuccessful flight attempt (when the propeller hit the ground and take-off was aborted).

Cheers,

Antti

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It's good to see this finally getting built. My apologies for the lack of a spinner. I thought I'd done a full parts check. :sad:

It looks better than if I'd had a go at it anyway, and it will fuel a young mans imagination on that ceiling. Brilliant.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Pete in Lincs said:

It's good to see this finally getting built. My apologies for the lack of a spinner. I thought I'd done a full parts check. :sad:

It looks better than if I'd had a go at it anyway, and it will fuel a young mans imagination on that ceiling. Brilliant.

Yea, don't worry about it. There's quite the collection growing on the ceiling now. 🤣 Just bought a Zero to build next. 

Thanks again for letting me have this one. 👍

• Like 2

Zero is a perfect pair for a Shinden. In a Japanese TV interview Mr Tsuruno was explaining the Shinden's advantages over a Zero. One of his points was that a Zero has an empty rear fuselage requiring valuable materials and labour force to build it. In a Shinden all interior space is filled with something important. Especially the planned four 30 mm guns in the nose. And yet Shinden had slightly smaller fuselage.

Cheers,

Antti

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Managed to get a blob of poly cement on the canopy. Was fiddling with something else and, well, you know the score. 

No i won't be taking it off and polishing it. 😂

2021-07-20_10-17-48

Such a shame. This build will conclude soon. Enjoyed it all, up to this point. 😔

🐧

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Sorry to hear about your accident with the glue. It has happened to me as well; usually it occurs when you try to be extra careful. I wouldn't try and polish the clear part, as  usually the glue affects right through the part.

In my kit all the red caution markings were without a white backing, so the dark green shows right through. It is a good idea to paint those markings.

Is your Shinden standing on all three wheels? I mean you mentioned there is no ballast in the nose...

Cheers,

Antti