Looking for a Pave Claw Gun Pod in 1/72

Troffa

Think i have about a dozen of those unmade in 1/48. Possible load for the recessed bays on my next F16XL-1 with a little fettling

Two of those bad boys - either side of the centreline would be a nicely weird load even for my builds.

or maybe on the F-14 i have sitting in the stash.

• Like 1

Think i have about a dozen of those unmade in 1/48. Possible load for the recessed bays on my next F16XL-1 with a little fettling

Two of those bad boys - either side of the centreline would be a nicely weird load even for my builds.

or maybe on the F-14 i have sitting in the stash.

Just found 4 of these in my 1/72 stash, with a further 4 complete boxed sets.

• Like 1

Reminds me of the story on Anthony G Williams' site about the Soviet Gsh-6 30 mm cannon mounted on the Mig-27 (https://quarryhs.co.uk/GSh-6-30.htm), although that fiasco was even worse.  

I wonder if any aircraft could survive over the battlefield for very long.  An F-16 may be faster than an A-10, but the missiles are still faster than an F-16.  Tom Clancy's Red Storm Rising painted a bleak and likely accurate picture...

Tom

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, tmeyer said:

Reminds me of the story on Anthony G Williams' site about the Soviet Gsh-6 30 mm cannon mounted on the Mig-27 (https://quarryhs.co.uk/GSh-6-30.htm), although that fiasco was even worse.  

I wonder if any aircraft could survive over the battlefield for very long.  An F-16 may be faster than an A-10, but the missiles are still faster than an F-16.  Tom Clancy's Red Storm Rising painted a bleak and likely accurate picture...

Tom

It's not the speed of the aircraft compared to that of the missile that matters, what's important is how much time the aircraft gives to the fire control system of the missile launcher to achieve a good firing solution.

Of course this at the same time means that the aircraft has less time to properly aim its weapons, so decreasing hit probability.

For reference here are some plans I drew up for the GPU-5A in 1/72 scale in order to support some CAS BAI F-16 builds. I will be converting/detailing Hasegawa pods for my build though.

Edit: it's displaying on the screen larger than it should be in scale, but if you print the image out, it should be 1/72. The pylons shown is the for the F-16.

Cheers,

Hoops

51324106734_41469d762e_o.pngtext16689-3-1 by J Hooper, on Flickr

Edited by Hoops
Add notes about scale
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What I should have added, Giorgio, is that once a missile is in the air, it's still faster than an F-16.  

And yes, making a firing pass at a faster speed means less aiming time.  And with all the problems the F-16 had with the pod, not worth the time or trouble, anyway.

It's not the time in flight of the missile that matters, it is the time taken to observe the aircraft, track it, then lock on and fire before the aircraft is past and broken lock.  Something more difficult with faster attackers.  If the pod was no good, then get a better one.